Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 M3, 2011 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow0404 View Post
One more question; How is the everyday driving... when not under boost or at low boost levels; any difference

regards
The car has been fantastic with the chip! My average fuel consumption is 11L/100km (21MPG) with the chip, so when you keep your foot out of it, the car doesn't use any more fuel.

Any little bit of turbo lag is now gone too, so you have a super responsive engine that's always in the torque band. I say get it For less than $400, it's a bargain!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy528 View Post
Just curious.
If you add 50 + hp and 50+lb torque ( or whatever the actual #'s are) , is there no concern
that the tranny/drive train was not designed for this extra power?
Warranty issues?
There are always safety margins built into the drive train. For a mild change like this, I'm personally not worried about it. What I like the most about this mod is the increase in drive-ability and the extra torque. I get both with the engine running less than 4k RPM and the truck just always wants to go. If you're taking the X5 in for service, I'd remove this piggyback before going in. Thankfully it only takes 40 minutes or so from start to finish. Probably even faster if you do it a few times.

For the times I want to romp on something, I take my M3 out
Old 12-30-2012, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow0404 View Post
One more question; How is the everyday driving... when not under boost or at low boost levels; any difference

regards
Here's my opinion: normal driving is unchanged, but when you need to accelerate, the power is there.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: z4M
I don't get it? Isn't this tune old news? I installed this mod over a year ago on my 11 x5 35i and everything worked perfectly. I had a chance to tow with it and hit the drag strip multiple times. Everything went without a glitch. The torque increase was nothing short of amazing, especially when towing. I had no issues towing 5k lbs up the notorious grapevine. In fact it towed better than my 5.7l tundra with tow package! It also dropped my 1/4 mi times into the high 13's...after I upped the boost to +4. Get it and don't regret it
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
I don't get it? Isn't this tune old news? I installed this mod over a year ago on my 11 x5 35i and everything worked perfectly. I had a chance to tow with it and hit the drag strip multiple times. Everything went without a glitch. The torque increase was nothing short of amazing, especially when towing. I had no issues towing 5k lbs up the notorious grapevine. In fact it towed better than my 5.7l tundra with tow package! It also dropped my 1/4 mi times into the high 13's...after I upped the boost to +4. Get it and don't regret it
How do you up the boost? Not a lot people have heard about this product, so the take up hasn't been great.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
I'm interested in learning more. Please share how to increase boost. I agree that this tune has been out, but I'm a new E70 owner and just installed tune and coded too. Always want to learn more.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 M sport
bring up an old thread but those who have it how do you like it?
Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chio4 View Post
bring up an old thread but those who have it how do you like it?
I still love mine. The throttle response is way better, and the car pulls harder with the chip installed.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Sport
I put the Stage 1 tuner in a couple weeks ago and it has been great so far. I still feel some turbo lag but it is better than stock. If you drive it "normal" no real difference but when you want the extra power when you step on it, it really goes now! Pins you back in your seat. I know it's not a M5 but it really kicks in the power at the higher rpm's.

I'm a newbie when it comes to installing stuff like this and Terry was very helpful with returning emails right away as I had a bunch of questions. Now that I've put it in, I would think I could remove and install again in 20 mins.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 AM

X5 N55 Burger Tuning Stage 1

Cool thanks guys!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM

installed mine yesterday ! wow its great!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chio4 View Post
installed mine yesterday ! wow its great!
Come on... give us more details than this.. Amazon reviewers can do better
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Mein Auto: YMB F82 M4 and RR Sport
I'm curious how this compares to the OEM tune available from BMW. My '13 X5 came with the M Performance Tune which bumped the HP/TQ (..apparently it's the same tune that the 335is receives). Is this BT Stage 1 tune similar to what I already have or will it improve power/torque numbers on top of the OEM Performance Tune? I'm definitely interested.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: e70 xdrive35i
Does anyone know what this tune does for numbers on the X5? MBRP had this tune dynoed on a 335i with a n55 and it made 322 wheel horsepower and 366 wheel torque. It was done on a mustang dyno.

Would these be the same numbers on a X5 with the N55?
Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 AM
Cockney Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 50i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask_XM View Post
Does anyone know what this tune does for numbers on the X5? MBRP had this tune dynoed on a 335i with a n55 and it made 322 wheel horsepower and 366 wheel torque. It was done on a mustang dyno.

Would these be the same numbers on a X5 with the N55?
I don't see why not, it is the same engine.

Coming from the 335i community, those numbers seem about right. You're adding about 40-50 whp. Remember that the N55 like most current BMW engines is a tad under rated from the factory. Probably has 315-320 crank based on the dyno curves I have seen.

2006 E90 330i (retired)
2009 E90 335i (retired)
2012 E70 X5 50i M Sport, JB Stage 1, 0-60 4.64 secs. Woot!
See me for Industrial Electronic Repair.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: E46M

Anyone compare this tune with ESS?
I'm about to get a tune and I'm leaning towards ESS.

I'll most likely get on a dyno before I get the tune so I have a comparison for you guys.

Mike

Old 11-10-2013, 02:06 PM

I went to ESS site and it says that they offer a N54 tune for the X5. Im wondering if this is a typo? Should be a N55 tune if that is the case
Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Cockney Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 50i MSport
Quote:
I went to ESS site and it says that they offer a N54 tune for the X5. Im wondering if this is a typo? Should be a N55 tune if that is the case
I don't believe the E70 ever had the N54. I have a feeling that the X6 did in 2009.

2006 E90 330i (retired)
2009 E90 335i (retired)
2012 E70 X5 50i M Sport, JB Stage 1, 0-60 4.64 secs. Woot!
See me for Industrial Electronic Repair.

Last edited by SteveinBelAir; 11-10-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:59 PM

Yes that is correct, the X5 never had the n54. But, on the ESS site they are offering a N54 flash for the E70 X5.

So to my knowledge based off of everything ive read, there is really only one tune for the e70 X5 n55 and that is the burger stage 1. I read about some preliminary cobb tune, rumours about a Vishnu, but nothing else concrete
Old 11-10-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: E46M

I've sent an email inquiring about the same thing. They told me I'll have to send in my ECU. So there will be some down time for me.

They still never addressed why the website stated that the E70X5 has the N54.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:12 PM

Send in the ECU? No thanks. Charge me $100 extra and i may buy your tune with a handheld unit.

Burger it is then. No traces of flashes being done on the ECU either
Old 11-10-2013, 04:21 PM
BMW Nut

Mein Auto: 12 X5 x35i, 10 135i
I installed this tune about a week ago. Here's a brief review.

Install: The instructions on the Burger website really suck, since there's not a single photo of the X5 engine bay detailing how to route the cable. Quite a few people talk about the difficulty of getting to the MAP sensor plug under the air box. Contrary to this, I found accessing the two plugs you need to connect to be the easiest part of the entire install. The TMAP is right in plain site and takes about 30 seconds, and the MAP is dead simple when you just remove the top of the air box as if you're going to replace the filter. Once this is removed, the sensor is also in plain site and easily accessed. Routing the cable to the other side of the false firewall is the toughest part. You have to remove some pieces of plastic cladding, remove the upper half of the cabin filter housing, then remove the hard plastic "false firewall" on the left side. There is a bit of tacky material that provides a weatherproof seal at the halfway point where it connects to the other side in the middle. Just keep it relatively clean so that it sticks again when you put the shield back. Once you have that shield removed, there are three rubber plugs that sit at the pass through. Two of them act as grommets for the stock wiring harnesses, and the third one is unused (at least in my car). I took that one out and drilled a 1/2" hole in it and put a slit in the top part of it so you can get it around the BMS wiring harness. The BMS software module and unused plugs sit in a large cavity that's weather protected with a large part of the stock wiring harness. I just put a couple zip ties on the added module to fasten it to some of the stock wiring so that it wouldn't flop around in there. Put it all in and reinstall the shield, cabin filter housing, and cladding and you're all set. All in all it took me about 45-60 mins. About 15 of that was removing the negative lead on the battery (this requires unscrewing several screws and removing the plastic compartment - I have the third row), and I was using suboptimal lighting (a iPhone 5!)

Driving Experience: Right away I could tell a difference. It wasn't like I hopped into my 135i, but it was very noticeable. Honestly, it pretty much gave me the power I was looking for from the start. It feels more like it has the acceleration of the N55 powered 3 series instead of the X5. Maybe even a bit more. What I really liked was that the car has more of a willingness to just creep off the line when you remove your foot. I found that to be one of the worst driving characteristics of the stock X5 - BMW trans/engine can be touchy, and the stock power plant just didn't seem to want to get the car moving without you actually using the gas pedal. Now it just kind of creeps off the line like a normal car.

The power delivery is smooth across the power band, but I did notice that it has a bit of a tendency to lurch a little bit when the vehicle is going slow and at full turning lock in a parking lot. I'm not 100% sure that this can be attributed to the tune, but I don't recall it doing that before. Could just be the additional power that makes it tougher to modulate the throttle at very low speeds like that.

The X5 now pulls hard deeper into the power band. Doesn't seem to peter out quite as soon as stock, and I do feel that lag is slightly decreased. Personally I thought lag was almost nonexistent with the stock X5 anyway. As an aside - I think most people are mistaking the oddness of the transmission/torque converter that "eases" you into gear for turbo lag. I've been driving BMWs for at least 15 years, and they've done that for quite a long time in my experience.

Overall, the power is exactly what I was looking for. Not a ridiculous amount - probably more than I got from my JB+ tune with my '09 335i, but less than I got with my Cobb Accessport 135i tune. But it's enough to make the car feel substantially faster and more willing to go fast.

The most amazing thing about this tune is that I actually feel that it's IMPROVED my fuel economy. This could be that I just had a bad tank of gas a few tanks ago and it's still working it's way out. After installing the tune, I just got 19.6 MPG (405 miles to the tank) with about 50/50 suburbs/highway driving (which is probably more like 30/70 city/highway). This beats my previous tank by about 1.5 MPG with similar driving. I'm still lower than my trip computer indicates my MPG should be (by about 1 MPG), but it's closer than it was before the tune (it was about 2 MPG off). The economy was the one area that concerned me most given what I thought was poor MPG previously, so it's a huge relief that there's no detrimental impact there.

One note - in the instructions, BMS notes that the AWD system would show an error several times after starting the car post-install. I did see this error, but only once. One thing I did note is that I was getting some kind of warning about excessive battery drain while vehicle was shutdown when starting the vehicle. In fact, it wouldn't even let me run the vehicle at ignition position without starting the car while this was occurring. After driving the car about 15 miles it went away entirely though.

For $379 I feel the product is appropriately priced. Terry was very responsive to my emails for assistance through the process. However, my only gripe involves the instructions. Terry mistakenly directed me back to the poorly detailed instructions when I asked for photos of an X5 install. He swore that it had this process documented in an X5, but this is most certainly not correct. Documenting the install process would take about 20-30 minute for BMS for each car, and having a single set cover something like 6 different vehicles just comes off as low rent for a professional product. They didn't even include a print out of the instructions with the harness, which came in a plain bubble mailer. I only complain because the connections that are required are detailed adequately, but process of how to route the module behind the false firewall was the most difficult part, and had no documentation to speak of.

I'd recommend this product to anyone on the fence. I can't compare it to s/w tunes, but the Dinan tune is (IMO) ludicrously priced, and my personal opinion of s/w tunes is that I'm not keen on them unless I can install/uninstall them myself (e.g. Cobb AP). If I have to go to the dealer for something, I'd hate to have to mail my ECU back to ECS or some other company. It's tough to beat the price of the JB3. I only wish they had a JB4 for this car.

2012 X5 xDrive35i Platinum Gray/Oyster/Burl Walnut
2010 135i Alpine 6 sp White/Coral Red/Black Alcantara M Sport
Old 11-10-2013, 06:04 PM

^^^^^Cliff notes : it's worth it! ^^^^^

Old 11-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Burger it is then. No traces of flashes being done on the ECU either
Uh, false.

Hard to detect, perhaps. "No" trace, incorrect.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Uh, false.

Hard to detect, perhaps. "No" trace, incorrect.
Uh, not false.

I said no traces of flashing being done to the ECU. Piggyback hardware manipulates parameters. Can they detect it other ways (ie. maximum boost values, ratios)...yes, if they are ambitious or have a reason to.

Btw, I am a software/controls programmer. I don't spam forums on these kind of topics.