2001 BMW X5 4.4i Loss in Power - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-23-2017, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5 4.4i
2001 BMW X5 4.4i Loss in Power

Hey guys,

So I've been having some issues with my 2001 BMW x5 4.4i.
I bought this BMW in March 2017. The problem has been going on for about 2 weeks, this is a little after receiving my car from a shop that fixed the fuel pump and a leak in the return line.

I am currently having a problem with power in the X5. IT DOES NOT FEEL LIKE HOW IT USED TO. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. Acceleration is weak, in 4th gear with about 25% pedal, and at 1250 RPMS, around 40 MPH, it does nothing until I push more and it finally starts to speed up (slowly). This is a problem going up a ramp to the highway. It feels like its working harder. In Cruise Control around 80MPH it feels like it has no power, and sometimes hesitate/drags every couple of minutes. I have recently noticed that my gas mileage is poor.
So after driving for awhile I've noticed the RPM's don't stay consistent. When I try to keep a consistent speed, the rpms vary about 150-250 rpms, with no natural variations (wind, hills).
Realizing this when I had my car home, I put it in park and tried to keep the rpms at 2000 RPM's. It would stay for about 3 sec then it started to rise about 400rpms and die down and so on.
Now I realize it's not the transmission. After research it is sound like it is the start to a BAD CAM SENSOR OR MAF SENSOR. I took my car to get serviced yesterday, and I mentioned the power loss, though they told me that they didn't find any codes (wasn't a real diagnostic I just asked to see if any codes popped up).
Information would be great! There are no service or check engine lights.

Thanks,
Alq

Last edited by AlqFuierer; 06-23-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW E53 4.4 X5
Not saying I'm right, but loss of power I've personally experienced was due to outdated spark plugs and ignition coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-23-2017, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5 4.4i
Yeah I understand you. What the problem is, is that it could be so many things causing symptoms of lost power. That's why I tried to explain certain situations. But you could be right. I am getting a diagnostic all the way on the 10th of July.
Will be updated.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW E53 4.4 X5
Good Luck Bud

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-25-2017, 09:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW E39 528i (M52TU)
the no code sounds weird. usually when a spark plug or coil is bad, that particular cylinder will send a misfire code. a bad maf will also throw a code. does it feel like it's not running on 8 cylinders?

when the cam and crank sensors are going bad, the check engine light will also come on. i think the symptoms are long cranks, no start, stalls while driving, poor idle, etc. do you have these signs?
Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x5
how many miles on the car
somebody recently had catalytic converter problems
with symptoms something like these
might be an area to check

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bad acceleration, incosistent rpm's, no acceleration, poor gas milage, power loss

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search