Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 AM
JPBX5 JPBX5 is offline
Registered User
Location: NY, LI
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: X5 30i
Sandy

Hurricane Sandy. Ugghhhhhh.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-29-2012, 03:40 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,226
Mein Auto: German
Yup, I'm here in Boston and everything has been closed/canceled. I moved the X5 from my normal outdoor parking into the underground lot in my building.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2012, 04:24 PM
JPBX5 JPBX5 is offline
Registered User
Location: NY, LI
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: X5 30i
Yeah, lost power at roughly 3:45. It's nasty outhere. Be safe.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-2012, 04:25 PM
0428's Avatar
0428 0428 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,567
Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Yup, I'm here in Boston and everything has been closed/canceled. I moved the X5 from my normal outdoor parking into the underground lot in my building.
Lucky for you, cause by me putting your car underground means your car took a dive last night, even some on street level are soaked.
__________________


Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 PM
boostedX5SAV boostedX5SAV is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York City
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 271
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
I'm in Brooklyn and I didn't get any damage in my neighborhood! So tempted to take the X5 on the Belt Parkway today since it was basically empty!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,576
Mein Auto: '06 X3
The mess caused by Sandy is going to have far reaching impacts, including the car market! Lots and lots of new high end iron is going to be on the market as salvage with little exterior damage, if any, but massive interior flood damage. Anyone looking for a "pre owned car" in the next few months is going to have to be extra diligent!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Kzang's Avatar
Kzang Kzang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,882
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Gas shortages except for Diesel
__________________
2013 X5 35i Premium, Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown Leather, Dark Bamboo wood trim, Conv. Pkg, CWP, Multi-contour seats, Running board, BMW App. Space saver tire.
Previous Cars
2010 535i - Deep Sea Blue w/ NBD Leather, Bamboo Anthracite WT, Sport Auto Trans w/ Paddle shifter, Sports Pkg, PP, CWP, Nav, HD Radio, Ipod.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,226
Mein Auto: German
Bumping this thread. How is everyone doing now?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-02-2012, 03:36 PM
0428's Avatar
0428 0428 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,567
Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
If it wasn't for the gas shortage I would drive around and report back, don't wanna be waiting in line for 3 hrs to get just 5 gallons, na mean? How's the situation with fuel outside of the NY metro?
__________________


Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-02-2012, 04:16 PM
gresch's Avatar
gresch gresch is offline
Don't be a hammer
Location: NY/NJ/LI
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 264
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
The NYC Marathon was just cancelled, which IMO is a good thing.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-03-2012, 06:50 AM
kungpao kungpao is offline
d is for Diesel
Location: North Eastern USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
I am still without power. It went out Monday night around 9pm for me. Thankfully my father inlaw had a small generator he wasn't using cause he didn't lose power so we used that to power my boiler and pumps for heat. Two days later we were offered a second larger generator by another friend whom had also regained power. We backfed our main panel with that and are just running essentials in the home. I'm in PA close to the nj border and gas lines have been full of nj tags and it's going to get longer. Nj is putting a gas restriction into effect starting today whereby license plates that end in even numbers can get gas on even days and ones that end in odd numbers on odd days. My work(in NJ) also does not have power and has been closed. The X5 (till we got the 2nd generator) was an expensive flashlight/battery charger for cell phones. Fueled up before the storm and haven't had to filler up yet. If not for generators, my family would probably be in a shelter by now. Stay safe everyone especially those who have loss or are still without power.
__________________
-kp!
2009 X5 35D
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-03-2012, 07:36 PM
JPBX5 JPBX5 is offline
Registered User
Location: NY, LI
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: X5 30i
Got power back last night (Friday) and internet/cable back today. Felt so good crankin that oil burner up for some heat....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,118
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Gas shortages except for Diesel
I've been wondering if diesel lines were shorter than the crazy gas lines. Sister is near NJ (Delaware water gap) and reported insane lines for gas.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Ripred Ripred is offline
Ac***** ******
Location: .
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 118
Mein Auto: .
Electricity/Internet is fully restored here in Staten Island, no damage to the house or cars. Our X5 performed very well forging through the very deep water (up to the "kidney grille") when we were "rescuing" family friends/relatives in more flooded neighborhoods, and it being diesel meant almost no waiting in line at fuel pumps (the ones that had electricity and were selling diesel)

Last edited by Ripred; 11-04-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Kzang's Avatar
Kzang Kzang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,882
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I've been wondering if diesel lines were shorter than the crazy gas lines. Sister is near NJ (Delaware water gap) and reported insane lines for gas.
There are many gas stations closed due to gas shortages along with power outages.
However, there some stations still open and only servicing diesel.

As of today, there are still long lines at gas stations that have fuel.

I refueled two days ago with 87 octane ( that was all they had ) and I had about little over a quarter tank of 93 octane... Hoping the mix would give me about 91 octane hehehe.

Also another storm is coming tomorrow.. A nor'easter with possible snow.. o.O
__________________
2013 X5 35i Premium, Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown Leather, Dark Bamboo wood trim, Conv. Pkg, CWP, Multi-contour seats, Running board, BMW App. Space saver tire.
Previous Cars
2010 535i - Deep Sea Blue w/ NBD Leather, Bamboo Anthracite WT, Sport Auto Trans w/ Paddle shifter, Sports Pkg, PP, CWP, Nav, HD Radio, Ipod.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.

Last edited by Kzang; 11-06-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 PM
tribecaX5 tribecaX5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 121
Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
My car got flooded up to the ceiling and was submerged under water for about 3 days. . My garage is in the basement, sloped sort of, right by Hudson river. When water rose on the street I went to get my car out and this damn car would not start. Battery dead. I felt like in the movies when someone is running from the killer and jumps on the car, tries to start the car and does not start. I said to myself, this **** actually happens in real life. It was a sad thing to see the car get completely submerged under water. I had just gotten this car about three months ago. The insurance is yet to pick up the car. They said they have about 8000 cars to tow.
I loved that car. It had $75,200 sticker. Had every option I wanted and drove with no problems except this battery problem which I wasn't aware of.

Will post some photos of the aftermath when I sort out the insurance. Hope the insurance company picks it up soon. The car just stinks inside.

Btw, how do you force the glove box to open without breaking anything? The button is stuck and would not open. I have a nice pair of Ray-bans that I have to get it out.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:21 PM
boostedX5SAV boostedX5SAV is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York City
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 271
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
Things are fine by me. I've only driven once to get to work. Other than that, I haven't driven at all due to the gas shortage and the huge lines for gas. I have some photos I took of the damage near my home that I can share. Hope you other guys are safe and doing well. Material things can be replaced.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-07-2012, 04:35 AM
ductman's Avatar
ductman ductman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Eastern Pa
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 776
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpao View Post
I am still without power. It went out Monday night around 9pm for me. Thankfully my father inlaw had a small generator he wasn't using cause he didn't lose power so we used that to power my boiler and pumps for heat. Two days later we were offered a second larger generator by another friend whom had also regained power. We backfed our main panel with that and are just running essentials in the home. I'm in PA close to the nj border and gas lines have been full of nj tags and it's going to get longer. Nj is putting a gas restriction into effect starting today whereby license plates that end in even numbers can get gas on even days and ones that end in odd numbers on odd days. My work(in NJ) also does not have power and has been closed. The X5 (till we got the 2nd generator) was an expensive flashlight/battery charger for cell phones. Fueled up before the storm and haven't had to filler up yet. If not for generators, my family would probably be in a shelter by now. Stay safe everyone especially those who have loss or are still without power.
Never EVER backfeed your electrical panel with a generator, men working on the lines will be electrocuted, you need a transfer switch to isolate the panel.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:09 AM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,226
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaX5 View Post
My car got flooded up to the ceiling and was submerged under water for about 3 days. . My garage is in the basement, sloped sort of, right by Hudson river. When water rose on the street I went to get my car out and this damn car would not start. Battery dead. I felt like in the movies when someone is running from the killer and jumps on the car, tries to start the car and does not start. I said to myself, this **** actually happens in real life. It was a sad thing to see the car get completely submerged under water. I had just gotten this car about three months ago. The insurance is yet to pick up the car. They said they have about 8000 cars to tow.
I loved that car. It had $75,200 sticker. Had every option I wanted and drove with no problems except this battery problem which I wasn't aware of.

Will post some photos of the aftermath when I sort out the insurance. Hope the insurance company picks it up soon. The car just stinks inside.

Btw, how do you force the glove box to open without breaking anything? The button is stuck and would not open. I have a nice pair of Ray-bans that I have to get it out.
Just pry open the glovebox. Car is totaled anyways. No reason to try to "protect" it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 AM
codog2 codog2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: boston, ma
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 727
Mein Auto: 5
Those glasses were swimming in a cocktail of seawater, sewage, and oil.

You may just want to pick up a new pair (unless you want to sell them on eBay)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Marshotel Marshotel is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Smithtown, NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 423
Mein Auto: 14 X1 xdrive28i
Still no power here. Had no problem getting diesel for the first 7 days but they are now focused on supplying gas to the impatient masses so there are quite a few stations that are out of diesel now. Many folks here on the island lost everything so I am thankful that my problems are limited to no power and scaice supply of diesel.
__________________
I'll keep my guns, freedom and money.......You can keep the "change"
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 PM
tribecaX5 tribecaX5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 121
Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
Those glasses were swimming in a cocktail of seawater, sewage, and oil.

You may just want to pick up a new pair (unless you want to sell them on eBay)
They're just too good and can't get them any more. These are from the Bausch & Lomb
era, perfect fo driving. Ray Ban makes crap nowadays. I'll clean them.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Ripred Ripred is offline
Ac***** ******
Location: .
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 118
Mein Auto: .
You should try glasses from Gunnar Optiks. They have anti-glare coating and yellow tint, so should be perfect for driving, especially at night.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM
kungpao kungpao is offline
d is for Diesel
Location: North Eastern USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
Never EVER backfeed your electrical panel with a generator, men working on the lines will be electrocuted, you need a transfer switch to isolate the panel.
The main was shut off. Wrk was done by an electrician who also happens to be an electrical engineer where I work.
__________________
-kp!
2009 X5 35D
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms