Gear box oil change - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-11-2017, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: astra
Gear box oil change

Hi all x5 lovers iv just gone and done it and brought my x5 4.8is 2005 year and been asking around about getting the automatic gearbox oil and filter change as i know it reckon mended dew 2 the life time oil that's but some places are saying they need to up date the soft where on the automatic gearbox after could someone out there ???.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Bimmerfest mobile app
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
What exactly you asking for?

If you have ZF tranny - the same one is used in Audi, Jaguar , Hyundai and Maserati and all 3 but BMW require service at 60k miles per manuf recommendation.
BMW for some reason does not ( though later they started to recommend 100k miles service)_ - I have talked to ZF and they say all users but BMW are purchasing transmission with filled with ZF fluid while BMW fills it with their own. ZF is surprised that BMW found a "magic" fluid and they still recommend 60k mile service using their fluid, filter and couple seals...
I see no reason for mandatory Tranny Sw update - it is always good idea to do it because if they found and bugs - they will address them.. but for the service is not mandatory.
What mechanic will do after servicing - it will reset memory with adaptation settings because as fluid ages and clutches start slipping - computer adjusts adaptation timing to make sure gear shifting is smooth.. When you put new fluid - these numbers needs to be reset so computer finds new optimal settings as appropriate.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search