Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 M3, 2011 X5 35i
2011 Audio Options?

I looked at my window sticker, and it doesn't have premium audio listed. Since I'm thinking of grabbing some BSW speakers, I need to find out for sure if I have the base audio package.

There is a center speaker installed, but no equalizer in iDrive. BSW lists the package with center speaker as the high fi option. What's right?

I don't think I have subs under the seats either.
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by macming View Post
I looked at my window sticker, and it doesn't have premium audio listed. Since I'm thinking of grabbing some BSW speakers, I need to find out for sure if I have the base audio package.

There is a center speaker installed, but no equalizer in iDrive. BSW lists the package with center speaker as the high fi option. What's right?

I don't think I have subs under the seats either.
I am pretty certain you do not have the premium audio. If you have premium audi, you get an addition two audio speakers near the back side on D-pillar. BSW has an installation video on X5.

At 4:25, it starts talking about the D-pillar speakers. If don't have any opening, you do not have premium system. Let me know how it goes. I am also interested in BSW upgrade.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
I am pretty certain you do not have the premium audio. If you have premium audi, you get an addition two audio speakers near the back side on D-pillar. BSW has an installation video on X5.

At 4:25, it starts talking about the D-pillar speakers. If don't have any opening, you do not have premium system. Let me know how it goes. I am also interested in BSW upgrade.

This optional speaker system looks pretty cool. Any idea how much this costs? How about the sound improvement?

Last edited by x5x5; 10-29-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5x5 View Post
This optional speaker system looks pretty cool. Any idea how much this costs? How about the sound improvement?
Here is the URL. for their website

I have not heard it myself. I am interested in how it goes with other.

My coworker's son upgraded an old BMW 3series audio. It was supposedly much better than stock. He did not upgrade with BSW speaker on his 3 series but a more expensive set that was better.

Currently, he is waiting and has been waiting (for a while) for BSW amplifier upgrade. The main selling point about BSW is that they fit well with BMW without any hacks. So it is a "simple" and elegant upgrade. He did not want to add a giant box just to put in a weird hook up for an external amp. So he is waiting for their solution. I am certain that BMW's optical bus system has certainly made this effort much more complicated for a small company.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:

My coworker's son upgraded an old BMW 3series audio. It was supposedly much better than stock. He did not upgrade with BSW speaker on his 3 series but a more expensive set that was better.

Currently, he is waiting and has been waiting (for a while) for BSW amplifier upgrade. The main selling point about BSW is that they fit well with BMW without any hacks. So it is a "simple" and elegant upgrade. He did not want to add a giant box just to put in a weird hook up for an external amp. So he is waiting for their solution. I am certain that BMW's optical bus system has certainly made this effort much more complicated for a small company.
I was just watching the installation video's for this upgrade from Bavarian..Looks darm simple and they sell a nice and complete package it seems. I think I may give it a try. I just hope the quality is much improved for me to go through the hassle.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
At the Op

You probs have the hifi system. I don't know however how to compare the BSW options To the Lci sound systems.

Pre-lci
base system
Logic 7

LCi
Hifi
Premium hifi
Individual sound

This list is subject to change based on accuracy

I would simply email BSW To confirm

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Hello Macming. I had similar questions on my 328i, use bmwvin.com. It will show you, among other things, what sound system your x5 has.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:

Would anyone know of other sources for plug-n-play speakers for the x5? I like the Barvarian Stage 1 kit as they all fit into oem slots and the process seems pretty easy. The only problem is they are backordered and they are hard to get hold off.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
At the Op

You probs have the hifi system. I don't know however how to compare the BSW options To the Lci sound systems.

Pre-lci
base system
Logic 7

LCi
Hifi
Premium hifi
Individual sound

This list is subject to change based on accuracy

I would simply email BSW To confirm

I think the hifi system is what I likely have. Here is a link to BMWVIN with my options:

http://www.bmwvin.com/?vin=L407588
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Interesting. I wonder what type of speaker he ended up with. My biggest fear is that the after market speakers will be too bright in a car. I've owned some high end MB Quarts and Focal K power series in my previous cars, and they've all been WAY too bright. My reference point is relatively high since I have a well setup home theatre with a lot of acoustic treatment; I'm not even trying to replicate the same type of setup in a car.

I really wish I can find a local X5 owner that has done the BSW upgrade so I can judge for myself.

Quote:

This video is gold Thanks for looking it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALLAWAY845 View Post
Hello Macming. I had similar questions on my 328i, use bmwvin.com. It will show you, among other things, what sound system your x5 has.
Definitely! I didn't see an audio package on that site, so I came here

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5x5 View Post
Would anyone know of other sources for plug-n-play speakers for the x5? I like the Barvarian Stage 1 kit as they all fit into oem slots and the process seems pretty easy. The only problem is they are backordered and they are hard to get hold off.
I did a bit of research, and it seems like this set of Focals will physically fit. I'm not sure how well it will work with the existing DSP programming BMW is using.

Another problem is high end speakers will likely require a high end amp that can provide enough current to drive them. I have zero interest in upgrading the factory amp, so maybe the BSW solution is the best we've got. Another audiophile X5 owner did install a set of BSWs and he put the base system back since he was experiencing a lot of listening fatigue with the BSWs. It is the typical result with an aluminium tweeter in an environment with lots of glass.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-7902-100...k-tweeter.aspx

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-4758-hyb...nt-system.aspx
Some owners have also installed a set of 4" Moral components before, but I have owned Focal speakers before, and like them.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Interesting. I wonder what type of speaker he ended up with. My biggest fear is that the after market speakers will be too bright in a car. I've owned some high end MB Quarts and Focal K power series in my previous cars, and they've all been WAY too bright. My reference point is relatively high since I have a well setup home theatre with a lot of acoustic treatment; I'm not even trying to replicate the same type of setup in a car.

I really wish I can find a local X5 owner that has done the BSW upgrade so I can judge for myself.

I did a bit of research, and it seems like this set of Focals will physically fit. I'm not sure how well it will work with the existing DSP programming BMW is using.

Another problem is high end speakers will likely require a high end amp that can provide enough current to drive them. I have zero interest in upgrading the factory amp, so maybe the BSW solution is the best we've got. Another audiophile X5 owner did install a set of BSWs and he put the base system back since he was experiencing a lot of listening fatigue with the BSWs. It is the typical result with an aluminium tweeter in an environment with lots of glass.

Some owners have also installed a set of 4" Moral components before, but I have owned Focal speakers before, and like them.
Im not gonna lie, I am a bit of an audiophile myself, however not too much. I do like hearing good sound reproduction, but honestly my DD has a pretty outdated setup, and anything my ears listen to, in any other newer model vehicle, SOUNDS AMAZING. So BMW sound is better IMHO. However, if you are a true audiophile, and your pockets are deep, you can probably try buy plenty of upgrades from a reliable sound shop. The problem is that its gonna be expensive, complex since were not dealing with regular audio wire and head-unit (Flex-ray everywhere), and frankly much harder than simply ordering a new vehicle. BSW does offer the best value for the buck, and elevates it to say a ok system. In addition, I think one can also try sound dampening a bit and building custom enclosures. Besides that, theres very little.

You might also fancy, a recent thread by Ndbunka about premium sound. If you scroll to the bottom of his thread, you`ll see someone attempting a complete swap of the drivers and amps.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks for this. It's really hard to determine if these woofersetc are true "plug-n-play" like the BSW's. I have to admit, that's very attractive. Plus, in their video's (which are excellent), you can clearly see how easy they are to install as they fit OEM specs. That's interesting to hear that someone removed the BSW's after installing them.

Now I'm all over the place!