Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 ML500
Newbie Introduction - Looking for GT

Hello all - just posting to briefly introduce myself. While I'm new to Bimmerfest, I'm not new to BMW, as I purchased a 335i Coupe via the ED plan in May of 2007. I no longer own the 335, but honestly the experience was amazing and I've always felt that the 335 was the best car I'd ever owned up until that point. In fact, two of my good friends now own 335s because they liked my car so much.

However, I'm not here to discuss the 335i. As you may have guessed, I'm here because I'm interested in an F07. Although the appearance of the GT is somewhat controversial, I've liked the car ever since I saw one on our local BMW lot a couple years ago. In addition to the styling, which I personally think is great, I'm drawn the the comfort, performance and practicality of this vehicle. Further, because I live in CO, I'm glad to have AWD as an option.

I've recently decided to move forward with a purchase of a GT and am in the process of finding the right car. Unless I can find an unbelievable deal on a new GT (which given my budget is an impossibility), I'd prefer to buy used, because there seem to be a reasonable number of cars available and the cost savings can be significant. Further, if I'm patient, I think that I'll eventually find a car that's perfect for me.

Since I'm posting here anyway, I might as well list my criteria just in case anyone on the board has seen a GT that might suit my needs. While there are a number of options I would like to have, the following are requirements:

- White exterior
- Black or ivory/black interior
- xDrive
- Sports Package
- 20" wheels
- Heated seats
- Low mileage

My budget is $51K and I am willing to wait as long as necessary to find the right car. I've only been looking for a short period of time, and I've already seen a number of vehicles that come close. I'm sure that my patience will be rewarded.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to owning a GT in the future.
Ads by Google
Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 535d (Exec) GT
Smile

Hi
I have just purchased a 2nd hand 535d GT and I have to say it is a fantastic car!
The 'basic' car is highly specked and the one previous owner had paid a further £12,500 for additional options on the car. With 50,000 miles on the clock at my purchase date, the car now being two and a half years old I was able to buy for 40% of its OTR price in 2010.
Fantastic luxury, sport whenever needed and brilliant for my golf equipment storage.
The car is a joy to drive and the new iDrive is superb. With the all singing / dancing telemetry provided by BMW Connected-Drive it's an absolute delight to get behind the wheel.
I've been driving BMW's for the past 35 years and the GT really is the best car I've ever had.
There aren't a lot of GT's in the UK and it certainly gets people wanting to have a closer look at the car when they see it.
Undoubtedly you'll find the right GT to suit you. I love the 'boys toys' on my car.
Good luck with your future purchase....
5Liverpool
Old 11-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
My wife and I are thrilled with our 2010 550i GT, but we had to show some restraint and patience to find a deal that fit our buy number. I would recommend finding a BMW dealer that will pass along the savings that are possible on the GT to you. The dealers tend to hold their sale numbers high because they are able to provide the CPO warranty. The fact is that the wholesale numbers on the GT are low. The general acceptance of the GT is not as strong as the other products in the BMW line up. That is a wonderful thing if you are looking for a used GT, but not so much if you are looking to get out of one. I find it amazing that most people have not given the GT a more thorough look and more respect on he open market. The GT is amazing. The GT is wonderful under hard driving, and the 550i accelerates so easily for such a large vehicle. We love the interior room. The back seat is cavernous. The fully adjustable optional front seats are excellent. Just when you find a comfortable setting you find one more adjustment that puts you in a more luxurious position. The visibility is excellent. We do have the rear camera, blind spot detection, and lane detection (which sometimes is a bit annoying as it vibrates the steering wheel) all and all still nice to have.

In regards to the styling I feel like the GT is "more car" because of the rear. I now find myself looking at the 5 series sedan as though it is not on the same level with he GT. We did not buy the GT because we wanted to blend in with the crowd. We have had numerous people comment about the car with he overriding theme being that they have not even seen a GT before. This certainly is a matter of taste, and beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. I look at an 7 series differently now feeling that that would be our mode of transport at a later date in life. As my wife and I are in our 30's we feel the GT to be out of the norm and a bit more risqué. We looked hard at the 7 series, but my wife was drawn to the GT. This is the car she wanted. I do not mean to say that the big sleds are less than the GT, but with 9 year old and a 2 year old the GT just flat out hit the mark for our little family.

We are still learning the numerous features which gives us a sense that the GT will continue to intrigue us over the test of time. That seems to be so important being that as people become bored with their vehicle they tend to want to get rid of it prematurely and usually take a financial loss changing to another vehicle too soon.

The orange accent lighting in the interior is so nice. It accents the dash beautifully and baths my children in a soft glow on night rides that my son always comments on and I love when I glance back to see how my children are enjoying the ride. They are both just leaned back at a nice angle with happy comfortable looks on their faces.

I have not had a chance to post since we purchased our GT so I have dumped more emotion on you than nuts and bolts. I'd like to say thanks to everyone on this forum for the helpful hints and excellent kind information that has been provided to my wife and I. I think you will be surprised at the great deals that are out there on GT's especially if you can hold back pulling the trigger until you find the right deal that falls on you buy number. We are so pleased with our experience so far, and I hope that you have the same joyfull experience that my family has had with our GT.

Best of luck and have fun with your search.!