Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 X5 50i, '13 Prius C4
Turbo coolant line leaking - 2012 X5 50i

My car just came back from 2 major engine surgeries:
- Valve cover gasket 4 weeks ago
- Valve stem seals 2 weeks ago

My car had the "charge air cooling system, reduced power output" message stored in the DME, and coolant level below "min" when cold, neither condition existed prior to the valve stem repair -- I assumed when they replaced the coolant during valve stem seal job, they underfilled. Took it to the dealer, as i thought the DME error could be due to a loose sensor, but apparently, the turbocharger coolant feeder line in bank 1 is leaking coolant, at the junction where the metal meets rubber; the "cylinder head bleeder hose" is also apparently leaking coolant. Dealer is quoting $2K to replace the leaking hoses/lines. The SA said it was unrelated to the valve stem seal job.

My car's service history shows that the turbo coolant line(s) were replaced twice (don't know if just the leaking line was replaced or both sides) - once in 9/14 and another in 3/13, 15K miles apart. And 15K miles later, it leaks again.

Given this, my question is, is it advisable to replace the entire line, as BMW does not sell the rubber hose separately (the turbos need to come off apparently, if replacing the entire line, which is where bulk of the labor is), or should I find an indy and just replace the rubber hose, or even just the clamp? I don't know what the "cylinder head bleeder hose" is, or how easy/difficult it is to replace it.

Last edited by bmwx5er; 04-16-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2016, 12:15 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I would work on getting bmw to cover the repair.... There is a parts and labor warranty on the prior repairs...even if the prior repair wasn't soecifically to repalce the one new failure, Id argue that they were messing with thise oarts and the prior dus assembly lead to the failure.

Recognise the SAs at bmw dealers are NOT your advocates... Do you have an indy that could, for perhaps an hours labor- insoection it and write up something poining that the 9/14 repair may have damaged the seal...or something. A written document, attached to a new work order may be harder fir the SA to reject. Force the SA to write it up; force them to ask bmwna to cover it...

My two cents
Old 04-17-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I would work on getting bmw to cover the repair.... There is a parts and labor warranty on the prior repairs...even if the prior repair wasn't soecifically to repalce the one new failure, Id argue that they were messing with thise oarts and the prior dus assembly lead to the failure.

Recognise the SAs at bmw dealers are NOT your advocates... Do you have an indy that could, for perhaps an hours labor- insoection it and write up something poining that the 9/14 repair may have damaged the seal...or something. A written document, attached to a new work order may be harder fir the SA to reject. Force the SA to write it up; force them to ask bmwna to cover it...

My two cents
Thanks ard. My SA got BMW to goodwill the valve stem seal repair (2 weeks ago -- $4500, and they also got a goodwill for a prior repair worth $900 for rear climate control), so she said it might be difficult to go to BMW again. I don't intend to pay out of my pocket, I'm going to pursue a claim with Rt 66. The 2/13 and 9/14 repairs were done during factory warranty, so per BMW's policy there is no claim based on those repairs (unless there has been any transfer of $$, the 2yr parts warranty does not apply -- I had to pay 5% in each of the goodwill incidents to retain the 2yr/unlimited miles warranty).

I've been reading that the fix might just require newer screw clamps - i'll be exploring that possibility with an indy that I like. I'll also check if he can give his opinion on cause of the leak (general wear/tear, prior repair, etc.).
Old 04-17-2016, 02:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
The 2/13 and 9/14 repairs were done during factory warranty, so per BMW's policy there is no claim based on those repairs .
Thanks for that clarification on the original repairs... Those items then only had the remainder of the factory warranty.... too bad.

BMW changed that in the last, what, 10 years? I dont recall when, but back in the day even parts done under the new car warranty has a 2/24 added

Did see your posts in the other thread, you are on the right track

GL
Old 04-29-2016, 12:54 PM

Update (final, hopefully):
Got my car back yesterday from the dealer. Route 66 covered labor and part for the one turbo coolant line that was leaking ($1180). I paid for parts for replacing 3 other turbo coolant lines that weren't leaking and the "cylinder head bleeder hose" or vent pipe, plus coolant (total $300 out of pocket). Dealer waived the extra 3 hours of labor involved in replacing the vent pipe (book time, of course, not actual time). I drove for a bit and checked Rheingold, and found no error codes in DME regarding the intercooler, so i'm hoping it's fixed. Will keep an eye.

In the past 2 months, I've had nearly $8K worth of repairs done on my car:
Valve cover gasket - $2.1K, 100% covered by Rt 66
Valve stem seals - $4.5K, 95% good-willed by BMW (this is at BMW negotiated rates; customer paid rates would've been closer to $6K)
Turbo coolant lines, vent pipe - $2K ($1.2K covered by Rt 66, I paid $300 for extra parts that I wanted replaced, and $500 vent-pipe labor waived by dealer).

Granted, the VCG could've been done at little to no cost if the valve stem seals were done first, and would've been nice if the coolant leak was spotted when doing the major surgery (valve stem seals). Route 66 initially refused to cover the turbo coolant line, as they don't cover rubber hoses (BMW CPO does NOT cover this repair as well, FWIW, for the same reason). However, I was able to argue that part of the failing line was made of metal and got them to cover the repair for the leaking turbo line; the vent pipe was 100% rubber, so could not get it covered. Took a couple of phone calls, but it was worth it, IMO.

But given the relatively low $$ from my pocket, I couldn't be happier with Route 66 and my dealership (BMW seattle), particularly my SA.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: E70 35i, S13
Man, $8k in 2 months!!! I bet Rt66 used your car as an example to not cover X5s anymore! Hah

I also might keep mine a bit after the warranty is up, so you secretly make me happy I got a 35i!!!

But seriously, I noticed my top view camera is now dead on the passenger side. I guess I'll see how that EEP coverage works out.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefSport View Post
Man, $8k in 2 months!!! I bet Rt66 used your car as an example to not cover X5s anymore! Hah

I also might keep mine a bit after the warranty is up, so you secretly make me happy I got a 35i!!!

But seriously, I noticed my top view camera is now dead on the passenger side. I guess I'll see how that EEP coverage works out.
LOL, I sure hope not. I must note that, all these repairs happened well after Route 66 dropped coverage for the X5s - too bad they dropped the X5s, but I'm sure happy that I have 7 more years to go and 50K miles more on the plan. Based on my experience with Rt 66, I expect your coverage for the camera will be a breeze.

I was wondering if I should've bought the 35i instead of mine, when was car was in the shop. I went on vacation around the same time and got a chance to rent a 2016 X5 35i, with 2K miles. It was great, but I liked mine *much* better. And what do you know - the day I was dropping the car rental off, the "oil at minimum, add one quart" message popped up. Some things never change ...
Old 04-29-2016, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: E70 35i, S13
I'm sure they'll cover it with enough pressure (I had to make a phone call to get my OFHG covered on the first visit).

I'm already up on the year's cost with $900ish of coverage so far. I only have 4 yr/48k mi of coverage, so I do slightly regret not getting a much lower mileage car and getting an extra year and a little more mileage of coverage since it is a nice "safety blanket." But I made the choice to minimize vehicle depreciation overall. It's really sad Rt66 doesn't cover the X5 anymore. If they still don't when I'm looking at a vehicle replacement in 4-6 years, I'll really have to think twice before getting another BMW!!!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search