Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E70 X5
Tailgate opens, won't close but tries to.

I've read a bunch of horror stories about issues here. I wonder if my issue is unique. It opens fine all the time (and from all three methods) but recently stopped closing with the red overhead button. It actually jogs open a tad more for just a split second then stops. Is this the lower tailgate interlock? I've tried slamming that shut - no change. Even the 3/4 open preference setting stopped working as it opens fully regardless of the setting.
One thing I tried from a local shop that gave up on me was to do a complete battery reset/discharge.
Well wouldn't you know. It worked...but only the very first time. Then it went back to the same. I thought well maybe that's because I had the tailgate open to reach the battery so I reached over the back seat and tried a second time - same thing. It's like it closes once then loses it's mind. Now I'm losing mine! Is this in need of some software reprogramming? Is there a quicker way to retest anyone's hypothesis by pulling fuses instead of battery cables? (much easier).

Thanks, Newbie to the forum - Mark
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2015, 04:58 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
BMW instructs not to disconnect the battery for troubleshooting for losing volatile memory in the various modules.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:32 AM

I was able to further define the symptoms: The hatch will open automatically every time by hand, dashboard button, or key FOB - NO Issues... but will not close with the red lighted hatch button unless 5A fuse #121 is removed and inserted back. I have repeated this scenario at least 5 times. What does fuse #121 reset that makes the hatch think it's OK to close? And, it only closes once!!!

Last edited by Mark Poulin; 01-30-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: missed an important detail
Old 01-30-2016, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
Dunno what fuse #121 is, but I do know that there are sensors to detect if the tailgate is about to close on something it shouldn't as well as if the lower gate is properly closed, so the top gate can close/latch. I'd first try opening the bottom gate and reclosing it. One might expect that misadjustment of any of those sensors would cause this, and if that's the problem, it should be pretty cheap to fix. But I would do as Doug says and NOT disconnect the battery just to reset things. (Which suggests that you should pick some other shop to work on your car, if that is the quality of advice they give you. It implies that they do not know what they are doing vis a vis BMWs.)
formerly '69 BMW 2002 and '67 BMW 2000CS
Old 01-30-2016, 04:57 PM

Nothing bad happened when I disconnected the battery only one time but they were on to something because it did in fact closed once. To not repeat that method, I dug deeper to find that both fuse 99 and 121 are related to the hatch so that's how I narrowed it down to fuse 121 as the method for resetting the hatch and making it close again, just the one time. I've tried slamming the lower tailgate many times actually. Wouldn't one think that if that was the problem then it still would prevent closure after a fuse reset?
I'd like to repeat the fact that it does try for a split second to close but then stops
Mark
Old 01-31-2016, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645
Same exact problem here. 2011 X5 with 16k miles. Hatch pops open fine using any method but will not close using any method (other than manually of course). When I press the red button I get a click from near the latch area (over my head).

Where is this fuse 121 so I can try pulling it?
Old 02-01-2016, 02:39 PM

Fuse 121 is located behind the passenger taillight. You should see a removable cover. Always double check with the little paper fuse map that's tucked in there. Mine showed a picture of the hatch. You'll know you pulled the right 5A fuse when the red light on the hatch close button goes out. I'm curious to know if your hatch actually just clicks as you say or does it move just a cm or so. Mine tries to close for just a split second.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:09 PM

It may try to close a tiny bit..I will re-check it when I check the fuse.

I can definitely hear a "click" from the hatch locking area over my head
Old 02-04-2016, 08:48 AM

Nope

Doesn't make any effort to close. The latching mechanism makes a click but no movement.

I removed fuse 99. Red light on hatch button went out. Reinstalled it and tried it with no change.

Tried pressing in on the corners of the lower latch. They were closed tight.

No changes in the operation of the rear hatch.

This must be something simple...
Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 diesel
I had a similar issue when just bought my X5. Turned out the lower gate was not fully closed. Try slamming the lower gate in and see if it makes a difference. If not, then look at the lower gate closure sensor/contacts.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the replay.

Yes...I have slammed (and slammed and slammed) the lower trunk. I have also put additional pressure on the corners as suggested by someone else. No change.

Any idea where the lower gate closure sensor/contacts are located?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Registered Boozer

Mein Auto: 1997 M3 Sedan
Don't mean to derail the thread, but... the trunk opens via key fob?! I've tried this numerous times, doesn't work on my car. If I hold down the trunk open button on the fob, then the panic alarm siren activates.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:03 AM

Its a brand new X5 to me but I am relatively certain it does open with the fob. I am 100% certain it opens right up with the hatch button.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 x35d
Is the red light lit that u push to close the hatch?
Old 02-04-2016, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 13' BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMGP View Post
Don't mean to derail the thread, but... the trunk opens via key fob?! I've tried this numerous times, doesn't work on my car. If I hold down the trunk open button on the fob, then the panic alarm siren activates.
It opens with fob. Press for 2sec and release button. If you hold longer panic alarm will sound.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:31 PM

Hatch opens with fob. Hatch opens with button on dash.

Red button is lit. When I push it there is an audible clicking sound from the latch attached to the hatch.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: X5 xDrive35D
I suggest looking at the either or both of the electric drive lifts. One of mine was faulty when I bought my X5 used. The hatchwould open fine, but would not close using the red lit button. I had to physically pull the hatch down and push it closed. Dealer replaced faulty lift and I have had no issues for last 3.5 years.
1995 Land Rover Discovery (Dirty and dented, but loved)-SOLD
1962 Apache Eagle Pop-up Tent Trailer.-SOLD
2015 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB (Our new HoW, "House on Wheels")
Old 02-05-2016, 11:04 AM
X5 Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
When you push it does the car make the chimeing noise up front?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:11 AM

Hmmm...good question.

When I try the fob I thought I heard a chime. When I press the red button I just get the click.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:18 AM
X5 Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
If you push the red button and you get a chime upfront that means that it's something with the lower part of the tailgate
Old 02-05-2016, 11:22 AM

No chime when I press the red button. Just an audible click from the latch area above my head
Old 02-05-2016, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: X5 xDrive35D
Does anyone know if these electric lifts use encoders to determine their position (amount of extension) and thus the relevant position of the hatch? If an encoder were to go out in one of the lifts, it would make sense for the system to lock up not allow the hatch to close since it would not know the position of the electric lift. Just an idea.
1995 Land Rover Discovery (Dirty and dented, but loved)-SOLD
1962 Apache Eagle Pop-up Tent Trailer.-SOLD
2015 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB (Our new HoW, "House on Wheels")
Old 02-05-2016, 12:11 PM

I believe they have hall effects sensors (from what I have read) in them, which is why I think this is something very simple.

I have my dealer on the ropes from his looooong delay in fixing my heated seats on my 6 so I might try to leverage that to get a freebie diagnosis on this issue.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:12 PM

Tailgate problem FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

So to summarize my problem:

2011 X5.

If I pressed the inside button the hatch went up. If I pressed the fob the hatch went up. If I pressed the button on the hatch the hatch would go up.

With the hatch up, I would press the red button and I would get a chime the first time I pressed it and an audible click but no movement. The second, and subsequent times I pressed it I would get no chime but an audible click and still no movement. There was no combination of anything that would allow the hatch to drop electrically. I could manually close it and it latched fine, but I could not get it to close by power.

The last time I was hitting the switch my wife was in the car and she noticed that there was a message on the screen display. Something along the lines of "Rear hatch ajar" (something like that). It was in the top left of the display screen.

So today I decided to go digging around in the little tailgate. I took off the trim screws along the bottom of the plastic inside cover. I then removed the one screw under the release handle and then the one screw on the handle itself. Now the trim piece is two pieces. I couldn't figure out how to separate them so I carefully slid a tool under the front and released the two clips (1 on each side of the catch mechanism) that are on the outside of the tail gate. I muscled the entire cover off.

Once inside you can see some wires to the left. One set of wires is a thicker gauge that goes to the motor that draws the upper hatch into the lower gate. The other set of two wires is much thinner and goes to the left latching mechanism. That's the switch wires that tells the computer the gate is closed.

So I started poking around at the switch inside the left latch. You can see it if you remove the 3 bolts that hold the latch mechanism to the gate. I unplugged the connector so I could use my multi-meter to see if I could determine if the switch was working.

What I soon discovered was that the left catch was not "catching". If I used a screwdriver I could lock the right clasp by pushing the inner part of the catch until it clicked. No matter how I pushed on the left catch it would not lock into position. So...press the right latch it locks and clicks. Pull handle and it releases. Push the left sided catch and it just popped back to normal.

Since the terminals on the connector were so small I was having a tough time getting my multi-meter probes on them while I manipulated the switch. Now knowing that the assembly was broken I installed everything except the inside trim panel. I left the left catch unplugged and closed the hatch. Pressed the red button and BINGO! The rear hatched closed. Used the inside hatch button and it opens. Used the fob button and it opened. Used the rear hatch button and it opened. Closed it each time with the red button.

Now I do understand that with an unplugged sensor my upper hatch will close if my lower gate is open. But I never really use that lower gate. But in all honesty I think the part is like $150 so I will probably replace it.

For those with similar problems...here is what I suggest.

1. Open the hatch and drop the tailgate.
2. Take a small flat screwdriver and see if you can latch the left side. Try the right side so you can see how the "bear claw" latch closes and clicks. Then try doing it to the left side. Make sure you release the catches with the handle before you try to close it again.
3. If you can't get the left side to latch you can try unscrew the 5 or 6 screws that hold the bottom of the interior trim piece.
4. Without removing the trim piece you might be able to lift it enough to get access to that small connector. To release the connector you need to insert something small and pointed into the little opening on the side of the connector pointing towards the right side of the car. Insert a small screwdriver or probe and pull them apart.
5. test to see if it works.

If you chose to leave it like it is realize there is no safety system to making sure the rear hatch is closed before you hit the red button.

Best of luck if you try this. I hope it works for you!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:41 AM

This is the part that needs to be replaced.

As you can see it has the electric pigtail that I disconnected to make my hatch close with the red button.

I will likely replace it since it is just 3 bolts and the connector.

http://bmwparts.bmwofsouthatlanta.co...mw/51247183196

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search