BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

License plate mount on front?

13K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Z4luvr 
#1 ·
I just picked up my 2013 Z4 35is from the dealer. California law requires a license plate to be mounted on the front of the car. There doesn't appear to be a spot for it. I really don't want to mount a plate there and mess up the super sexy front of the car.
Has anybody mounted a front plate?
How and where?
Pictures?

Thanks

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks HerrK. It is definitely designed to fit the European plates. Did you have to drill mounting holes to mount?
Our plates here are short and tall, so they hang down over the lower grill area and they look out of place and there does not appear to be any preset mounting holes.

#4 ·
I only used the top two mounting holes on the plate frame and drilled two holes in the bumper. If the dealer installs the plate frame they use all four mounting screws (four holes in your bumper) and put the frame over the lower portion of the kidneys which looks way ugly IMO.

If you use the factory type metal screw designed to hold in plastic, the two screws have sufficient tensile holding power (Ask your CA or SA for a mounting set, they gave them to me free of charge). They look like the screws shown on this link.

http://www.taptite.net/taptite/remform.asp

Have't blown it off yet it multiple runs up to 120 MPH.

You have to go to post #2 & #3 of the previous link to see my CA plates mounted as described above.

#5 ·
It is state law in CO. to have a front license plate, but I still chose not to mount it. I did not have mine mounted on my 3 series for 4 years and never had anybody ever stop me or give me a ticket. I think the plate in the front just ruins the look.

#6 ·
I also did not mount my license plate on the front of my vehicle while I lived in Colorado on any of my BMW's (27 years and no issues). I live in AZ now which does not require a front plate. Lucky me!
If I had to mount a front plate again I would look into the mounting bracket that screws into the service tow hook so I would not have to ruin my bumber.

#7 ·
Thank you carsbillz4 and rdkind62. I didn't know they made a mounting bracket for the tow hook. I am definately going to forego mounting it and see what happens. I just can't bring myself to ruin the front of my beautiful Z.
It is nice to know that there is a possible solution if I am forced to put one on. I live in a small, sleepy town where cops don't have much else to do.
For example, I have actually been pulled over and gotten a fix it ticket for not having both the little lights shining on my truck plate in the rear bumper! I had removed one to install a trailer light kit. One still provided light on the plate but that was not good enough.
Another example of how sleepy my little town is. At work last week the BIG annoucement going around the office was: " The police are enforcing the stop sign at the railroad tracks" -- What, we have to stop at the stop sign? :)

#14 · (Edited)
I am definitely going to forego mounting it and see what happens.
I grew up in California and return to visit all the time. You will get pulled over sooner or later.

Fortunately it is just a fix-it ticket in CA. (Or at least it used to be.)

You can legally run with the dealer temporary plate for a few months. Steve Jobs rather famously leased a new Mercedes every few months so that the car wouldn't need to have license plates.

Here in the UK, we would be pulled over for no front plate very quickly. I might be able to get away with it if I stuck to the back roads on Anglesey, but I wouldn't make it to Liverpool without a front plate.

The UK makes heavy use of Automatic Number Plate Recognition. Tolls, speed cameras, London Congestion Charge, catching uninsured drivers and Parking Enforcement all use ANPR.

ANPR is also used to track criminals.

BMW ANPR interceptor --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmpolice1/7042395327/

#13 · (Edited)
Our UK number plate is attached by four screws into the bumper. EU sized plates fit the car better than American plates.

Pictures?
At delivery...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.