Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 10-30-2012, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: 1983 528eBMW, GMCYukon XL
How to remove door trim?

Hi all;I have a 1983 528e (bought it new, btw). The left rear window glass has come loose from the lifting arm. I am looking for info on how to remove the interior door trim so I can reset the glass in the lifter. Any suggestions much appreciated. Kts
Ads by Google
Old 10-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
First you have to take the door pull off. It has 2 holes in the bottom that have screws in them. Undo the screws then pull it off the front part of the door pull is help on with a metal anchor that you have to pull out. Next remove the plastic surround from around the door latch. Push on one side to slide it off. Next remove the look pull by screwing it off. Last but not least take either a flat screw driver or a knife and put it between the door card and the metal of the door. Pry back and slowly loosen the card from the door as you work your way around the door card with the knife/screw driver. That should be it.

Andy
Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks Andy, I'll give it a try and report back when done. Kts
Old 10-31-2012, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: e39 530i/5, e28 535i
I just had the door cards out of my 535i e28 to replace the moisture barriers and did not have to remove the interior door pulls.

The door pull surround pulls to the back of the car for removal; there are four little clips keeping it in.

Then two screws under the arm rest. In the case of mine, the small one was missing on all but the driver's door. These screws are philips head. The door pull comes off easily by twisting it 45 degrees so the barbed upper pin releases. You may have to wiggle it a little for it to come out. I would HIGHLY recommend removing the screws from the pull before doing this to make sure you don't rip your leather with them.

The top ash tray/mirror control trim piece needs to be removed. If an ash tray is present (rear doors) remove the ash tray to find a screw behind it. Remove the lock knob and pull the trim piece straight out. There are no screws on the front two doors for this piece.

The rest is held in just by clips.

Just don't remove the interior door handle! They're not fun to get back in.

And you'll have to remove the moisture barrier to get to the window. Make sure you seal it up well with a good silicone adhesive. If it's ripped a heavy duty contractor's bag works well as a custom replacement.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:56 AM

Thanks for that, haven't tackled the job yet, but will soon! Kts
Old 11-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Well I did it! Thanks for the tips, I now realize the difference was what you two called each part, such as where south26 said "door pull", waehrik called it the "arm rest". Same part, held on by two screws. Long story short, you both missed the fact that the top trim piece was held on by two clips and two angle brackets. Pulling the "trim piece straight off" released the clips but broke the sockets the angle brackets fit into. bummer. But piece went back on, think it will hold, but I am now looking for an upper trim piece in grey! Turned out glass was out of two saddles it should sit in, apparently held in by two sided tape now defunct. I glued glass into saddles, will let it dry a day or two before operating. Anyway it's now closed and back together, so Thanks!!. Obtw, I used leapord duck tape to close up the holes in the waterproofing, wait 'till the next guy sees that! On the Road again . . .Kts
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 AM

Sorry forgot about the door cap. it will stay on with just the to white clips. It does not need the 2 screw clips to hold it on. There is only one color for the door caps in the U.S. There were some pearl Beige ones for sale, but those are the only none black ones I have seen.

Andy
Old 11-04-2012, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: e39 530i/5, e28 535i
Interesting, my doors must have been pulled apart improperly because I didn't encounter a single angle bracket in pulling off the door caps, just a set of white clips in the front and a single screw behind the ashtray in the rear.
On the plus side, they've been staying on just fine, so there's some assurance. Sorry for misleading you too, I had no idea there was something else holding them on.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 AM

The angle bracket on bothe sides of the door cap tend to brake, early cars had the metal ones and later they were switched to plastic ones.

Andy
Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 AM

I hope to have the process in pictures posted soon. It looks pretty difficult to remove the cap trim without breaking the sockets off each end. The angle brackets are metal, and the cap is just a light weight foam and plastic extrusion. You would need to lift the cap straight up to clear the clips. Since the chrome finish piece overlaps the cap, this looks tough to do. Maybe if you release the white pin clips first (pry out just on either side of ashtray) there will be enough flex in cap piece too allow it to be pulled out a bt then lifted straight up? I'll try that when the next window gets loose!

Anyway, thanks again for the advice, I appreciate the assistance. Kts
Old 11-06-2012, 12:23 PM
What was that noise??

Mein Auto: E28 M535i, E30 323i
Subscribed.

Looking forward to pics.

I am about to r & r the front drivers door card to fit tweeter speakers.

Does anyone know if those tweeters are prewired as BMWs are typically prewired for most accessories.