Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d, Z4 3.0i
Picked up New 2012 X5d Yesterday...

I traded up my 2011 535i and 2009 X5 (3.0) for a 2012 X5d yesterday. Space Gray, Black leather, sport, premium, cold weather, sound, etc. And so far, very happy with the change. The 535i was a nice car, but there are some delicate issues related to lag. I just got tired of the car. As for the earlier X5, it was time to get some of the much lacking horsepower replaced. Nice touring vehicle, but no umph. Just my opinion.

As for the X5d, my experience in the first 105 miles has been nice. The only option I didn't order was the technology package. I had the HUD in the 535i, but rarely used it. I doubt I would find much value in the auto head beams or side cameras.

I tried the 50i and 35i before ordering the diesel. The roar from the 50i is outstanding, but liked the idea of going with a diesel this time around. We'll see.

Here are some earlier observations. Driving this vehicle at night is a pleasure. BMW has really made some incredible investment in the HID light set up on this vehicle. The old X5 and an almost orange to yellow kind of light emission. The new X5 lights up the road with a very, very bright white light. It is very nice.

The navigation system on the 535i was never as good as my Iphone with garmin software on it, and the X5d is much the same. I kind of wish they offered a good option to locate diesel fuel with nav unit. But, I've got another app for that too.

After a short drive yesterday, I think the ride is nice and I don't have any complaints about the road noise once the SAV is under load. The diesel knock is there when you first start out, but it disappears quickly. I am following the manual break in period recommendation of not going too hard on it until the first 1500 miles, so I'll try to report back on a future post.
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Welcome to the fold. Interesting to hear you comments on the HUD. I have the same perception that it's not really worth the extra $'s but there are a few on here who feel HUD & Adaptive Drive are "critical". I am also a new X5d owner (around 700 miles after a month on mine) and don't miss either option. However, I also agree with you on the headlights. The slef-leveling Bi-Xenon's were one of he features I REALLY liked on my old 7-series and was pleasantly surprised to find them available on this SAV.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: X5
What is even more surprising to me is that the OP had it and is not missing it. I would have bet that once you have it, you will not have a car without it.

I ordered it on mine and this will be the first time I will be using it. Let's see how useful it will be for me. I main reason I got it is that I think I will like it for navigation and speed display. I often find myself looking down to check my speed as there are cops everywhere in the Plano/Frisco TX area.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Congrats on the new car, I had a '12 X5d for 2.5 days as a loaner. I liked the torque, and it was averaging 23mpg the time I drove it.

The noise was a little annoying, it was loud inside the cabin virtually anytime you were on the accelerator. In my opinion, it needs better/more sound insulation badly. I didn't mind the startup tractor soundtrack, but anytime you breathe on the accelerator its a symphony of John Deere in the cabin.

Aside from those things it was a great SUV, I love the exterior. It's still fresh even after 5-6 years it's been on the market.

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Congratulations on the new car. I certainly enjoyed my diesel. I averaged about 19 mpg with mostly city and short driving. Yes, I am torturing the engine.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
and why would u post pics....we dont care right?
are u nuts lets go buddy!
ps congrats!

pss u have 24 hours before ur membership is suspended for breaking forum rules!

section 12 , article 3 ...reads pics are a must or else it didnt happen! lol

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d, Z4 3.0i
First try at posting a picture. BTW, anyone interested in the jack set from 535i? I never felt comfortable with run flats. But in 40 years of driving, haven't had a flat yet.. knock on wood. Still felt the need for a jack. False security. So I bought the optional spare for this SAV too. Going to sell my jack set for the old car. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw grey.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	349276  
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
wow
that color is the best
this is what im in the market for
5.0 msport
congrats
Space grey for life...lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (39).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	349277  

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps