Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 520d F10 steptronic
Please help me flash ZGW

Hi guys, have managed to flash most of the ECUs in the car now with the latest Psdz data but the ZGW doesn't want to play ball.

I have tried the normal connection method - by VIN - and that times out after a minute or so and leaves the car in transport mode. I have to disconnect the battery to wake it up again. I have tried using "gateway URL" as per this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=698424

and that doesn't work either.

Any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Hello!

I had 3 ZGWs in CIC cars which weren't able to update with an enet cable, regardless of the connection I choosed (ip on port 6801 for example). All these cars were from 2010 and 2011. With my ICOM it worked at once without any problems (ip on port 50160).

CU Oliver
Old 05-18-2015, 11:54 AM

Thank you for your reply Oliver!

Was any adaptation needed after the flash with ICOM?
Old 05-18-2015, 12:19 PM

Hello!

No, everything worked as expected. ZGW has no CAFD, so the flash is really easy and fast.

In CIC cars the ZGW is the most-master and if you updated the hole car without the ZGW your assistance systems like cruise control, LDW and so on can quit their work. That the reason why you have tu update this (mostly at the first ECU at all).

CU Oliver
Old 05-18-2015, 12:58 PM

Just checked and yes, unfortunately my cruise control and speed limiter no longer work

Is it the flash of the KOMBI that makes these not work properly? And do you know of any way to put the KOMBI software back to the last version until I get an icom?

I have not yet flashed DME, SZL_LWS, EPS, EKPM, EMF, EGS, DSC, DME or CAS, so I think the KOMBI must be the one?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:14 PM

One more thing, is this icom the correct one? Sorry for all the questions

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-2014-D...06233139&rt=nc
Old 05-18-2015, 01:45 PM

Hello!

The reason is the Kombi. For the speed limiter and cruise control the ICM is the responsible one and the ICM is connected via Flexray with ZGW. The ZGW is connected via Most with Kombi and due to the new software version in Kombi the ZGW cannot "translate" the signals. If you would read out the car with Rheingold you could see Flexray errors (communication errors) between ICM and Kombi.

It's possible to downgrade the Kombi but therefore you should have the old psdzdata version - nearly equal to the actual i-level from your car (not from Kombi).

CU Oliver
Old 05-18-2015, 02:46 PM

Thanks Oliver. I do have the old psdzdata and esys version and have not changed the i-step of the car at all.

What would the process be to downgrade?

I really appreciate all your help with this
Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 PM

Hello!

Rename the existing psdzdata folder to psdzdata_new (or something line this) and copy the old psdzdata folder into the data folder. Now you have to do the same procedure as the one for an update. Check the SVT_SOLL that Kombi has blue/red CAFD and SWFL (to be sure also btl) inside. If not, then open the SVT_IST and rename the CAFD, SWFL and BTL (write 000 000 into the last two sequences), load this modified SVT_IST and calculate SVT_SOLL again. Now everything in Kombi should be blue/red (without HWAP and HWEL).

CU Oliver
Old 05-19-2015, 01:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F12 650i Convertible
Why can't you upgrade the whole car and bring it to the same i-level? My ZGW failed a few times when I attempted flashing with ICOM, however one of my friend could bring it back to life using standard enet cable (vin connection).

Last edited by Afsar; 05-19-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:36 AM

Hello!

Cause he's not able to flash the ZGW with an enet cable. Okay, I heard rumors that flashing the ZGW with an ICOM could also sometimes be a problem.

@Afsar
BTW, my ICOM A is not yet beend send back. The user needs some more times (battery bricked in his Z4 and he has to install a new one). I will send it to you asap if the tool is back again.

CU Oliver
Old 05-19-2015, 01:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F12 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
Hello!

Cause he's not able to flash the ZGW with an enet cable. Okay, I heard rumors that flashing the ZGW with an ICOM could also sometimes be a problem.

@Afsar
BTW, my ICOM A is not yet beend send back. The user needs some more times (battery bricked in his Z4 and he has to install a new one). I will send it to you asap if the tool is back again.

CU Oliver
No problem.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:13 AM

Hello!

Just a thing I found in transmitter. Here you can set the ZGW to a static IP (192.168.1.2). This could solve the problem with the ip adress by flashing the ZGW with an enet cable.

-set the ZGW to a static IP (job ZGWIPStatischSetzen)
-reconnect E-sys by using this new IP on port 6801
-flash ZGW
-set ZGW back to dynamic adress (ZGWIPDynamischSetzen)

Could be a solution.

My presumption: A BMW service station would never connect an ICOM directly with a laptop. They use a network system with an ISIS server and the ICOMs and laptops have static IPs. To simulate the same system you have to set the ZGW to a static ip if you are using an enet cable. It's nearly the same if you want to flash a NBT car with an ICOM. You will be not able to flash ECUs on most-bus with an ICOM with a dynamic IP. Here you have to use a router betwenn laptop and ICOM and set the ICOM to a static IP or use the DHCP from the router (my BMW dealer set the ICOMs onto a static IP to avoid problems).

Just my 2 cents.

CU Oliver
Old 05-19-2015, 03:18 AM

Mein Auto: F30 320d xDrive -14
Quote:
Hello!

I had 3 ZGWs in CIC cars which weren't able to update with an enet cable, regardless of the connection I choosed (ip on port 6801 for example). All these cars were from 2010 and 2011. With my ICOM it worked at once without any problems (ip on port 50160).

CU Oliver
Do you know any other things that matter here? I was not able to flash ZGW in 9/2011 F10 with CIC, the I bought an ICOM. I think that ShawnSheridan has flashed his cars ZGW with enet, I think that the car is 2010 F10 with CIC. Afsar's car (2010 F12) has ZGW-02 from factory (his problem is because of bad ICOM or PC), and somebody was able to flash the ZGW with ENET. Afsar posted other ZGW to me, I will flash it on bench and I will also try ENET.

Do you know what is the difference between ZGW-01 and ZGW-02, other than the casing?

Last edited by ap90500; 05-19-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:24 AM

Hello!

I heard also from many people who could flash their ZGW with an enet cable without any problems (connecion via gateway url on port 6801) and also from many user who couldn't do this in the same way. may be it depends on the ZGW version which was built in (only my presumption). Seems that one ZGW is faster to get the new IP, some slower and ends with an ethernet timeout error.

EDIT
ZGW1 and ZGW2
There are many different ZGWs in the ETK. ZGW for cars without combox, for cars with with Combox, for cars with 609, 5DP, 5AG and 223 and without. And of course ZGWs for cars with NBTs and witohout CIC. Not so easy to keep the track.

CU Oliver

Last edited by milkyway; 05-19-2015 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Hello!

I heard also from many people who could flash their ZGW with an enet cable without any problems (connecion via gateway url on port 6801) and also from many user who couldn't do this in the same way. may be it depends on the ZGW version which was built in (only my presumption). Seems that one ZGW is faster to get the new IP, some slower and ends with an ethernet timeout error.

EDIT
ZGW1 and ZGW2
There are many different ZGWs in the ETK. ZGW for cars without combox, for cars with with Combox, for cars with 609, 5DP, 5AG and 223 and without. And of course ZGWs for cars with NBTs and witohout CIC. Not so easy to keep the track.

CU Oliver
Have you tried "additional transmission timeout" in E-sys settings? I am not sure if I tried that one. I got Afsar's ZGW today, I will do some testing this week.

ZGW 4SK and 8SK are for cars with NBT. ZGW 01 and 02 (mid, mid plus and high) are for cars pre 7/2012 (pre NBT). Older ZGW's can be converted to 4SK or 8SK by flashing, hard to say if they function 100%. I converted one factory installed 02 mid plus and it is working. 01 seems to have metal case, I just don't know what are the other differences between 01 and 02. 2010 F12 with CIC has 02 high though.

Last edited by ap90500; 05-19-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:56 PM

Hi guys thanks for your input on this. I tried an additional timeout with no luck. I bought an ICOM but it arrived faulty so I am waiting on another one!

What would happen if I just swapped a ZGW from another car? Would that work since there is no CAFD to worry about?
Old 05-26-2015, 02:08 PM

Other ZGW would work, if it just has the correct software and equal or higher hardware. Did you try to set ZGW to use static IP, like Milkyway suggested?

Btw I was able to flash Afsar's original 2010 ZGW 02 high on table with ENET. I just connected power, kl15 wake up, ground and ethernet wires. Over a year ago I tried to flash my previous F11's (9/2011 produced) ZGW, but I could not do it with ENET.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:26 PM

I got another ICOM and used that, updated ZGW, the gearbox and DME, works much quicker than the ENET cable. Cruise control now works again! Thank you for everyone's help

Last edited by stampedeadam; 05-29-2015 at 05:27 PM.