Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: Anything with Wheels!
i3 Coding Bounty! - Adaptive Cruise with Steering Assist

One feature that didn't make it onto US Bound i3s is the steering assist on the adaptive cruise control. I'd really love to have that feature after driving the new MB S550 and E class.

My i3 has adaptive cruise but the steering assist is turned off.

I have been able to connect to the i3 with BMW e-sys but can't download the coding files. I have no issue coding my new M4 so I'm guessing maybe BMW locked something down in the i cars or maybe my version of esys is not i3 friendly. I can select i in the drop down menu but can't download the coding info from the car. I'll post the exact error later tonight.

Here is my offer, I'll PayPal $250 to anyone who can activate the steering assist function.

Again, I'm not sure if it's coding or something more, but I though I'd throw out that bounty to repay you for your time.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
I have no interest in your money, but maybe I can help.

What are you selecting as your connection Target for i3?

What do you mean you "can't download the coding files"? Do you mean you can't read the car's ECU's?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 08-23-2014, 11:43 AM

Hi Shawn:

I attached the error message I'm getting. I can connect to the car but I'm getting this error message when I click "Read" to read the ECUs.

Any idea what this error is referencing?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 4.08.04 PM.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	460231  
Old 08-23-2014, 11:48 AM

You did not answer my Target Connection question. Just because you can connect does not mean it is the correct connection target.

The PSdZdata may be corrupt. Some people have incorrectly applied Jetstream updates and packaged then for download, but they are no good. Or, people incorrectly update their PSdZData by copying new on top of the old, instead of deleting the old PSdSData version first.

Use a known good 53.4 PSdZdata version.

PM sent.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 08-23-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:56 PM

Shawn:

My target is I001_14_07_502, VehicleInfo=I001, Connection via VIN.

I'm going to try the PSdZData file you sent me.

Let me know if I'm using the wrong target.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2014, 05:33 AM

I001_14_07_502 is correct assuming it is the one without the _DIRECT at the end of it.

Let me know how the new PSdZData works.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: i3
Adaptive cruise

I was also extremely disappointed to see adaptive cruise left out, especially since they kept it in the US owner's manual!

One note-I believe there is a button to activate it on the Euro model which may complicate things. I will kick in another $100 to the reward!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F10
I am sorry, what is steering assist ?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:05 AM

Cruise

Look at or near page 109 in the i3 manual - the car can self steer < 25mph. Crippled in the US version because of regulations...
Old 09-23-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm in Miami B.

Send a message via AIM to jaza45 Send a message via Yahoo to jaza45
Mein Auto: E92 M3
so were you successfully able to connect to the i3 using I001 target and able to read the modules?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 AM

I apologize for not being well-versed in coding but perhaps some of this is useful. I had a local coder come over and plug-in. He was only able to get into two areas at first and had to come back a week later with updated software which then got him in further. We took a look for the adaptive cruise but he couldn't find any related settings. He adjusted a few basics like having the doors unlock automatically but thought that BMW probably doesn't even load that software in the US model, or leaves it disabled. Of course mine was the first i3 he'd worked on so I retain some muted optimism. Major bummer. The bounty still stands!
Old 09-26-2014, 11:03 PM

i3owner: That's a start. I haven't been able to do any coding. I'm going to try some newer software and see where it takes me.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:11 PM
James Bond -007

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 650XI M Sport
OK, as none of us here really know what's been going on since your last post about a month ago, could you please start by updating us as to what you have done and where your at.

As well, if Shawn can't figure it out, it can't be done or is so new that no one has seen it yet. Trust me on this and probably another thousand BMW coding owners here.

Again, no one knows what's gone on via PM, but when Shawn or another forum member takes the time to assist, the very least you can do is kindly follow the guidelines provided and report back.

In your case, as you've already seen, there are others on here that are interested in doing the same as you are. And with that said, I'm personally looking to buy an i3 so I'd really like to know if this is possible to do as well.

As has been stated here numerous times, please ONLY use software and tokens via links provided by folks like Shawn. There are hacked software versions out there and you don't want to play with your $50K car and hacked software, which can make a big difference.

Please let us know where your at and how you make out with things!

Thanks much!

PS. If you have a sec, please post a link or some pictures of your new i3's. I'm debating over which one to buy, regular or range extender models...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
i3owner: That's a start. I haven't been able to do any coding. I'm going to try some newer software and see where it takes me.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:32 PM

I don't have any updates to report. My i3 was in the shop for a charging error for most part of the month.

I tried the new PSdZ files from Shawn and that didn't work either. I was thinking to try it on a different laptop because I'm not having any success coding my car. When I hit "Read SVT" I'm getting the same error message.

I have no issues coding my M4 so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I'd be interested to hear if others have had success.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
I successfully coded an i3 couple of weeks ago. No issues.

Reading the thread history, it looks like you tried to read the SVT and that fails, right?

It failed for me also. It seems that on some newer cars, you need to use the "Read (ECU)" button instead (I had to do that on a new F25 also). I don't know why, but reading the ECU list works.

Once you have the list of ECUs, you can then code them normally. I'm using E-Sys 3.24.3 with psdzdata 53.5.

We were able to code:

1. Folding mirrors
2. Full TMPS (pressure and temperature).
3. Enabled the AM radio.
4. Enabled REX to come on at 12% instead of 6% charge.
5. Enabled REX on demand to hold the battery at the current level.
6. many others...

PM me if you need additional assistance.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:39 AM

File date

Good post, frogman.

Sounds like the _505 files came out last week, you may have had corrupted/outdated files when trying to connect.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3owner View Post
Good post, frogman.

Sounds like the _505 files came out last week, you may have had corrupted/outdated files when trying to connect.
True, but slightly older psdzdata shouldn't cause connection issues or problems reading the ECU list.

It's only mainly an issue when reading the coding data; you will get "file not found" errors if your psdzdata is old and you will not be able to FDL code that ECU.

You'll only need the newer psdzdata if your cars' software was updated by the dealer.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
i3 coding request

Could you guys code in a sunroof?