Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 04 Z4
airbag light

my 04 z4 airbag light is on with no airbag trouble codes..Any body have help on what to do for this.Thanks for help...
Ads by Google
Old 10-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
Hi
Had a similar issue with my Z4 (2004) 6 weeks ago. Turned out that the wiring goes to a connector that is located in the battery compartment. My car had a water issue before I bought it and shortly after buying it the warning light came on... In this case the BMW tech was able to see that the current/voltage draw on the wiring was off... and with cleaning up the connector was able to correct the issue... The warning light issue is cured and my connector(s) in the battery compartment have been cleaned.... which makes me happy.
Not saying that is your problem but a clean up of that connector and any upstream might eliminate the issue.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 AM

Follow on... Not exactly sure where the wiring runs but the SA said the tech said battery compartment/well.. So could be anywhere in that immediate vicinity. But I'd start with any connectors in that immediate vicinity.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
How do you know that there are no 'codes'? An ODB-II reader will NOT interrogate the SRS module on a BMW.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 10-30-2012, 01:28 PM

Never said there were no codes. There was... Independent traced the code(s) to a seatbelt? issue...( he "repaired" my convertible top motor.." ..an issue to be resolved with him..I told him of the warning light..and he plugged in and ran it down) However as it was a dealer warranty issue due to it showing up on the day I picked up the car from the local dealer... It went to the BMW dealership as I thought it was the passenger seat sensor issue which was actually a BMW warranty issue... (Thank you to all on the forum who have posted on this issue...I'm on record now for an extended warranty to 2014 for that issue).

The BMW tech I'm presuming here... Was unable to ascertain the warning light activation was due to the airbags and/or sensors and did a check of the actual line voltages ...and found abnormal readings. I'd say he was a very smart technician.

He cleaned the connector(s) one of which had some sort of corrosion (the connector in the trunk/battery compartment). Doing so corrected the voltages into spec and solved the problem/airbag warning light issue. I'm thinking that he zeroed in on this as an area to check as the trunk/battery compartment showed water issues and the BMW dealer had done investigative work for repair costs for the dealership that I purchased the car from...and was likely aware of the water issue.

Cost to the dealership was one hour labour charge.

As this was in retrospect a simple "fix" it's worthwhile considering as a cause prior to spending bucks at an independent or dealership trying to solve.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:06 PM

Sorry, I was not more direct.

I was asking the original OP on the code issue.
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 04-07-2013, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 E85 Roadster
Hi, sorry to resurrect this old thread but I've got a similar issue. My left B pillar satellite module failed, generating about 7 airbag warning errors related to the module not communicating, plus one about "under voltage". The module has been replaced, and all the error codes cleared from the three airbag modules and the instrument cluster but the airbag light keeps coming back on. The only fault logged is in the instrument cluster, where it says that the airbag system triggered the light. I think I've been through all of the modules in INPA that could possibly relate to the airbag and there are no other errors stored at all.

The only way I get temporarily get the light to stay off is in INPA if I run the "clear EM and pre-drive check" it runs through, the light goes out and stays out until the next restart of the car.

Any ideas please? I don't think "under voltage" was related to the B pillar satellite so perhaps there's still something going on in the system - could it be the battery connection? Can't see anything particularly wrong with it...

Thanks

Last edited by OmarE85; 04-07-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM

In the battery compartment/box in the trunk there is a junction connection/box?...to the drivers side of the battery. There is also a single wire connector there as well. I believe that single wire connector is the airbag wiring connector that the BMW tech cleaned when he fixed my airbag fault problem ( Has new dialectric grease on exterior of connector for moisture exclusion).... Try cleaning this with electrical cleaner/blow dry and then clear your faults and see what happens.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 2004 Roadster
airbag light

Hi,

I have a similar problem to OmarE85. Have replaced the Bpillar left module. Cleared all the error codes, light does not go out at all, and instrument airbag light error comes back immediately.

Using impa if I select E85>body>airbag I get an error which says module is sim85 program will close.

Under Safety modules am able to read safety information module and Satellite b column left/right but not the Satellite door left/right.

I also get a system time error set to zero on the replacement module. I have recoded the module using NCS Expert.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:48 PM

The Satellites communicate to the Control module via the Byteflight optic bus (fiber optic cable). Since you can communicate with the Safety Information Module and replaced the left B-pillar module, I would go out on a limb that you have a communications to the B-pillar module. You may want to do a visual of the fiber cable to the module to see if it is damaged in some way.

http://www.shipkiller.com:8080/Safet...S_Systems.html
Old 09-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Hi Shipkiller,

Many thanks for your reply. The information link is most helpful with regard to:

Fault symptom: airbag warning lamp lights up, but there is no fault memory entry
If the fault memory is cleared after work on the vehicle, it can occur that the airbag warning lamp lights up, but no fault is stored in the fault memory of the BYTEFLIGHT control modules. Even after ignition off and ignition on, the airbag warning lamp does not go out and there is no fault memory entry. The following procedure is required if this occurs:

E85:
switch to the control-module function of the Safety and Information Module (SIM).
SIM: component activation: start self test
SIM: diagnosis requests: observe end of self test
Run a short test

The problem I'm left with is the system time needs to be reset on the replacement b pillar module, but i don't know if inpa can do this? I'll try with DIS and let you you know if i get a result.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:00 AM

Smile

Hi, Finally got back to this as MOT now imminent. After reading a post from LinearTQ I used Tool32 as suggested below.

"System Timing Errors
Airbag system timing errors are resolved by using BMW Tool32, selecting each individual module affected (all in my case - one by one), and performing a systemzeit_lesen (write) argument (value of) 1."

The systemzeit_lesen didn't work in my case (on module E85SBSL) so I tried systemzeit_Start on the replacement module. All is now working correctly.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 2.2
Evening all!

Just doing some research after discovering the B post sensor has caused the airbag light to come on on my 2004 Z4. Not having a clue where to start it seems from this thread that the connections I need to a look at is in the boot near the battery. Has anyone any pictures of the connectors before I start digging!??