Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-30-2012, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 525i and 325is
Exclamation no electricity to fuel pump

I just bought the car. The car dose not start. We tried with starting fluid and it acted like it was going to start up and nothing. I checked the fuel pump relay in the ebox , the one in the middle which is blue. Checked the fuel pump with a 12 volt and it worked. But when I hooked up and crank , the pump dose not start? Dose anyone know what may be causing this?
Ads by Google
Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 PM

Ok. Rechecked the fuel pump relay and it was no good?! So after putting a new one the fuel pump worked. But still the car will not star up? So I do not know what else to do to my 525i 1995 bmw?
Old 10-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ena01 View Post
Ok. Rechecked the fuel pump relay and it was no good?! So after putting a new one the fuel pump worked. But still the car will not star up? So I do not know what else to do to my 525i 1995 bmw?
How is your fuel filter ? If I where,you I would take it out and see if its pluged up ... Just a thought . It's going to be under the right rear fender well . You'll see it when you take the right rear tire . It would be a good idea to replace it since you just bought the car . Just a thought

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Old 10-30-2012, 05:17 PM

Ok. Will take a look at it tomorrow morning.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
I just bought the car. The car dose not start. We tried with starting fluid and it acted like it was going to start up and nothing. I checked the fuel pump relay in the ebox , the one in the middle which is blue. Checked the fuel pump with a 12 volt and it worked. But when I hooked up and crank , the pump dose not start? Dose anyone know what may be causing this?
I'm not sure that you've checked the right relay. There was a time when I was stuck in the middle of the street for 30 minutes, trying to jump the wrong bloody relay. You screw up the obvious when you are under stress.

Please check your fuel pump itself for continuity. You may have electricity to your fuel pump, but your fuel pump may be dead. With the hood up, and when you turn the key to position 2 ( "key2"), do you hear some slight noises from the engine bay ? This is the sound of the fuel system pressuring itself. If you don't hear that noise (and it is very low so you might just miss it) then your fuel system has an issue.

Please download the bentley manual for E34s (google for the link) and read the relevant section calmly and carefully, and repeat.

In any case, the e34 has other very common no-start issues when it reaches this age. New owners are always advised to change the following to OEM parts (worth spending the money as they tend to last for around 10 years, and non-known brand aftermarket stuff is notoriously unreliable for these, and the costs and extreme inconvenience of sudden failure without forewarning is exorbitant, OEM parts means problems fixed stay fixed) :

1. Fuel pump. Usually the O ring is also changed along the way...only $10 extra.
2. Fuel pump relay.
3. Crankshaft position sensor.

Overheating situations are less common than no-start situations, but they do occur. The common overheating culprits, for which we recommend an immediate or asap change, will be the following :

1. Water pump. Only purchase those with a composite impeller. A good time to change the wp pulley to the thermoplastic one if yours is made of metal, but this is not strictly necessary.

2. Thermostat.

{ Most previous owners do not change the above at the correct intervals. Do not take the risk. }

3. Radiator cap and bleed screw. This is purely to be anal but its too cheap to ignore. $15 total for both.

4. Do a pressure test on your radiator. The kit costs $30 on ebay and is nice to have, most shops would charge you around there to perform the test for you. Your radiator is 20 years old and its good to clear it.

5. Your aux fan serves a secondary cooling function. Check that it runs at both speed settings. The Bentley manual has the details. And check if your aux fan's coolant temperature sensor is functioning (not sure how to do this). Replace it if it is busted. I had a friend overheat in traffic due to a busted clutch fan (the big fan in the engine), which would not have happened if his aux fan's temp sensor was working and his aux fan had come on at high speed (it was already on at low speed due to the ac but it was not enough).

6. Unless all of your coolant hoses are nice, soft and supple, please add cheap, brightly coloured, strong smelling coolant to your radiator. This costs under $5. If any hose ruptures (hoses tend to get hard over many years, hard hoses tend to crack when under pressure) and even if the rupture is slight, the strong smell will invade the cabin and alert you to a problem at least 10 minutes before your engine's temp starts climbing. Proved very useful in three occasions for myself. Engine overheats would lead to headgasket (hg) failure, which is not a showstopper always, and overheats could also lead to warped and cracked cylinder heads in the extreme.

Please note that the above do not constitute the exhaustive list of things that can go wrong in the no-start and overheating departments. However, they are the common ones. I would not wait till something goes wrong before responding to them. One of the nice things about having a 20 year old model that is still well loved is that most of its common issues have already been identified. A car, especially a dd, needs to be reliable, and considering that these are known weaknesses for our car, that the car was already dirt cheap to begin with, it would only be prudent to invest in that ahead of time. Penny wise quickly becomes pound foolish when are looking at a bill from the tow truck and the workshop, and you add up all the cab fares and all the favours you were saving up and had to call in to rescue yourself.

Please read the stickies at the top of the list for more relevant information. Don't be intimidated by all the I've told you so far, all that you will read, and the current problem that you have. Stay calm and relaxed as you prosecute this situation. Write back when in doubt. All of us have had problems like these and/or have read about others with such issues, and we are still hanging onto the car, so that speaks for itself. Be sanguine about stuff like this, stay zen while you're at it, no pressure, no pressure.....

rgds,
Roberto
Old 10-30-2012, 06:31 PM

Ok, will take a look at those things. Thanks again for your advice. Is it possible for the 525i not to start because the radio was stolen which was linked to the security system?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Cannot offer info on security system. If you pull the switch wire off the solenoid you can get the switch held in position 3 without cranking. The fuel pump should run while the key is held. That tests a lot of stuff quickly. If it does not run then out with the DVM and start to trace back.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Lucky to drive a BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
I ran into the same conditions turned out the injectors where clogged from sitting for years.Since the car is new to you .I would think about continued testing of fuel pump and related components.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Old School

If you do anything to the injectors PLEASE take them for a rig clean and flow test. 'Injector Cleaners' can be very iffy.
Previous:
Old 10-31-2012, 07:37 AM

Haha, I will take your word for it. But being a girl and repairing this car is going to be a challenge. But I'm not alone I have my brother to help. So ill will take a look at the injectors.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Haha, I will take your word for it. But being a girl and repairing this car is going to be a challenge. But I'm not alone I have my brother to help. So ill will take a look at the injectors.
You're a chick ?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Does your engine crank or not crank at all ?

You can pull out a fuel hose from the engine area and see if fuel flows when you key2 the car. There is a hose leading up to the fuel rail, near the front centre of the engine. Fuel should flow out for a short while after you key2 the engine (can't remember if it will keep flowing or stop after awhile, it may stop after some time as a safety cutoff when the pump detects no pressure coming back to itself). This method will rule out the fuel pump and associated stuff for good.

You should also check the fusible link on your car. That's not a common source of no-start situations but it does cause problems on occasion. This is located very close to your battery, which is under your backseat.

You need to check the resistance of your cps (crankshaft position sensor) to ensure that its within the Bentley manual's acceptable range. Bear in the mind that the Bentley manual was wrong about the actual resistance....it stated something like 1000+ ohms but it is actually half of that.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:20 AM

Well it cranks and then the motor never starts and yes I am a chick.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:22 AM

There is gas in the line towards the engine but the motor dose not start.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1615162

Your symptoms sounds like a broken or disconnected CPS. Still, read the above...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 AM

Were is the cps ?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Were is the cps ?
Depends...Which engine do you have?
M50 or M20?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM

I just re-read it is an M50.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM

The Yellow arrow is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The green/blue arrows is where the wire runs from the sensor itself to the connector under the intake manifold.

You need to inspect it and its respective wire to see it its connected. Then it needs to be tested with a multimeter to see if its working. I doubt you own a DVOM so I would let someone else look at it. The best you can do is just inspect it visually.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Were is the cps ?
Ena, have you read the stickie threads at the top of this list, especially the one on maintenance ?

Have you googled, downloaded and read the relevant sections of the Bentley manual for E34s ?

You really need to do that before proceeding further. You've got a project car and you need general oversight capabilities to both intelligently troubleshoot existing problems, spot new ones and verify if key components are working. No matter what, you are the soldier on the battlefield, and you are directly in front of the vehicle...you are the best person to spot, diagnose and fix stuff, compared to us over here. So you need to be as well prepared as you can.

This is going to take more time but you will save much more time and avoid alot of stress in the long run.

Hey, post some pictures of yourself (since you're a chick) together with that 518 E34 engine ! Have some fun with the car while you're at it...
Old 10-31-2012, 12:54 PM

Haha! Yea ill think about the pictures. I'm going to buy the manual to have something to look at while I'm outside working on it with my brother. Thanks again for your time and everyone's comments.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Haha! Yea ill think about the pictures. I'm going to buy the manual to have something to look at while I'm outside working on it with my brother. Thanks again for your time and everyone's comments.
You can find it here :

http://www.mediafire.com/?eyz2ydoe3dz

Its nice to have a soft copy along with the hard copy.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Old School

Wow a girl. Don't worry Ena01. They are more frightened of you than you are of them.
Previous:
Old 10-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure View Post
Wow a girl. Don't worry Ena01. They are more frightened of you than you are of them.
That depends entirely on how she er I mean her engine looks.

Come'on !! Pictures pictures !! The audience is waiting !!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 PM

Haha. There should be more girls. Lol well thanks for the link.