Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-29-2012, 04:31 PM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 738
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Former M3 Owners. Why'd you buy an F30 335i?

When the first of the twin turbo 335i's came out it became apparent that the new engine really gave the S54 engine a run for its money. And it intrigued me. Good gas mileage, yet nice power and torque.

Looking at the E90 M3, I could not fathom it with a V8 along with its super crappy gas mileage. IMHO a 3er M needs to be an inline six. Plus I never got used to the E90 body style--even on the M. So E90 body style was a definite no-go for me: either an M or 335i . So I waited for the next body change.

When I decided on getting an F30 3er I debated waiting for the F30 M version which I'm glad reverts back to an I6. So I started pricing a 335i for the heck of it in the meantime.

A lot of new and great features--especially jumping from an E46. But as you add the bells and whistles you hit $60k MSRP very quickly. That was the sticker of my 2006 M3 pretty well loaded with everything but SMG, PDC and sunshade.

After debating in my mind what I wanted to drive for the next several years, I decided it would be a Sport Sedan with performance and luxury, not a street legal race car. That notwithstanding the diminishing returns of extra money spent on an M versus the increased performance (I don't track my cars), would not be worth it to me at this time in my life.

So I ordered the 335i from Munich. Am glad I experienced owning the M3--it was a fun 6 years. Looking forward now to my 335i....
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 PM
SD Z4MR's Avatar
SD Z4MR SD Z4MR is offline
(formerly SD 335is)
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,285
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
When I decided on getting an F30 3er I debated waiting for the F30 M version which I'm glad reverts back to an I6. So I started pricing a 335i for the heck of it in the meantime.
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. The E9x 335i model, with or without an M Sport Package, has always been an I6, the earlier models and the 335is with the N54 engine, later models with the N55 engine. The F30 335i has an i6 N55 engine, the same as the 2011 and 2012 E9x 335i. There is no "F30 M version" and since the E92 M3 is still available through 2013 with a NA V8 and the F80 M3 won't be available until 2014, there is no "M version" that has "reverted" to an I6. The new MY 20114 M3 and MY 2015/16 M4 will have an I6 again, but it will probably be 3.2L, it will probably have at least two turbos, and will probably put out 450+ HP.

Yes, the S54 engine is a great engine, it's probably going to be the last, great, naturally aspirated inline 6 BMW engine, at least for the foreseeable future. I don't know about the N54 and N55 engines giving it a "run for it's money". The N54 and N55 engine found in most 335i models put out 300 horsepower from 3.0 liters, but with the help of either twin turbos or a single twin-scroll turbo; the S54 3.2L naturally aspirated engine put out 333 horsepower in E46 M3 trim and 330 horsepower in the Z4 M Roadsters and Coupes.

My wife has a 335is Coupe with a twin-turbo 320 HP N54 engine, but my Z4 M Roadster is still faster.
__________________
- Tom
-------
Mine: 2006 Z4 Roadster (E85) | Interlagos Blue Metallic | Black Extended Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Purchased 7/19/12
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 PM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 738
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
No I meant the E90 M3 is an 8. I realize there is a M Sport package for the 335i as well.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 PM
golovko golovko is offline
Software Engineer
Location: Raleigh, NC
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 324
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
When the first of the twin turbo 335i's came out it became apparent that the new engine really gave the S54 engine a run for its money. And it intrigued me. Good gas mileage, yet nice power and torque.

Looking at the E90 M3, I could not fathom it with a V8 along with its super crappy gas mileage. IMHO a 3er M needs to be an inline six. Plus I never got used to the E90 body style--even on the M. So E90 body style was a definite no-go for me: either an M or 335i . So I waited for the next body change.

When I decided on getting an F30 3er I debated waiting for the F30 M version which I'm glad reverts back to an I6. So I started pricing a 335i for the heck of it in the meantime.

A lot of new and great features--especially jumping from an E46. But as you add the bells and whistles you hit $60k MSRP very quickly. That was the sticker of my 2006 M3 pretty well loaded with everything but SMG, PDC and sunshade.

After debating in my mind what I wanted to drive for the next several years, I decided it would be a Sport Sedan with performance and luxury, not a street legal race car. That notwithstanding the diminishing returns of extra money spent on an M versus the increased performance (I don't track my cars), would not be worth it to me at this time in my life.

So I ordered the 335i from Munich. Am glad I experienced owning the M3--it was a fun 6 years. Looking forward now to my 335i....
I was pretty much in a smilar position but I was coming from an Evo IX MR which I tracked as well for the past 6 years. For the same reasons I thought it was time to drive a sport sedan that had great performance but also a hell of a lot of luxury to match. My Evo was all performance and no comfort unless you're behind the wheel, then it was just fantastic.

Now I'm just shopping around for an E36 M3 for a dedicated track car.
__________________


2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 PM
WillInDenver's Avatar
WillInDenver WillInDenver is online now
1oz perception-1# obscure
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,362
Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
No I meant the E90 M3 is an 8. I realize there is a M Sport package for the 335i as well.
Actually the guy above you is on your case for not knowing that the next M3 will be an F80 rather than an F30. And being a bit of a jerk about it.
__________________
-Will
2013 535i xDrive M-Sport | 2005 545i Sport (Retired and Missed) | 2001 X5 3.0 Sport (Retired)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2012, 09:17 PM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 738
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Actually the guy above you is on your case for not knowing that the next M3 will be an F80 rather than an F30. And being a bit of a jerk about it.
That's because he has a girly convertible. Sort of like a Miata.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 AM
enigma's Avatar
enigma enigma is offline
Fight On!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,537
Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
When the first of the twin turbo 335i's came out it became apparent that the new engine really gave the S54 engine a run for its money. And it intrigued me. Good gas mileage, yet nice power and torque.

Looking at the E90 M3, I could not fathom it with a V8 along with its super crappy gas mileage. IMHO a 3er M needs to be an inline six. Plus I never got used to the E90 body style--even on the M. So E90 body style was a definite no-go for me: either an M or 335i . So I waited for the next body change.

When I decided on getting an F30 3er I debated waiting for the F30 M version which I'm glad reverts back to an I6. So I started pricing a 335i for the heck of it in the meantime.

A lot of new and great features--especially jumping from an E46. But as you add the bells and whistles you hit $60k MSRP very quickly. That was the sticker of my 2006 M3 pretty well loaded with everything but SMG, PDC and sunshade.

After debating in my mind what I wanted to drive for the next several years, I decided it would be a Sport Sedan with performance and luxury, not a street legal race car. That notwithstanding the diminishing returns of extra money spent on an M versus the increased performance (I don't track my cars), would not be worth it to me at this time in my life.

So I ordered the 335i from Munich. Am glad I experienced owning the M3--it was a fun 6 years. Looking forward now to my 335i....
I don't even know where to start with this one.

The MPG difference between the S54 (E46 M3) and the S65 (E9x M3) isn't much. I have both (S54 Z4MCoupe, S65 M3), and I can tell you driven similarly, the difference is about 2-3 MPG. So, you are telling me you didn't buy a 60+k car because you wanted to save a few bucks on gas?

And you'd rather have the I6 turbo over the V8 NA on an M car? Call me crazy, but what has defined the M in the past isn't the I6, but high-rev'ing NA engines, until they started turbo-charging everything with the X5M/X6M.

The 335i is a great car, but I don't think I follow your twisted logic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
That's because he has a girly convertible. Sort of like a Miata.
OK, now this is a cheap shot.

By the way, the Miata is one of the funnest cars money can buy, and the Z4M Conv is one of the finest cars BMW has ever built with the S54 you seem so fond of. You sound like a superficial douche.

No offense.
__________________

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 AM
johnbmw6's Avatar
johnbmw6 johnbmw6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: south east UK
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 771
Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
I had the E90 M 3, now waiting for the 330D M Sport touring, reason.
Here in the UK the M3 never really got to "stretch it's legs" and that coupled with the price of fuel here, and speed cameras on every corner meant it would have to go. The 330D M Sport with brake upgrade and all the rest of the extras I have put on it make it a fast economical good looking car with loads of technology to boot.

Last edited by johnbmw6; 10-30-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 AM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 738
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
OK, now this is a cheap shot.

By the way, the Miata is one of the funnest cars money can buy, and the Z4M Conv is one of the finest cars BMW has ever built with the S54 you seem so fond of. You sound like a superficial douche.

No offense.
None taken.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
That's because he has a girly convertible. Sort of like a Miata.

Yo! Girly, not necessarily....

Gonna mod your new ride? Lots o'room for improvement, but you have to wait for parts.

.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-30-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Lorenzzo Lorenzzo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 160
Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
After debating in my mind what I wanted to drive for the next several years, I decided it would be a Sport Sedan with performance and luxury, not a street legal race car. That notwithstanding the diminishing returns of extra money spent on an M versus the increased performance (I don't track my cars), would not be worth it to me at this time in my life.

So I ordered the 335i from Munich. Am glad I experienced owning the M3--it was a fun 6 years. Looking forward now to my 335i....
I had an E46 M3 and currently drive an F30 328i Sport. I did test drive the F30 335i and realize it's a different car.

My plan was to drive the F30 for a year or two and then get the second model year of the next M3/4. Maybe when the time comes I'll still do it, but all things considered I'm not sure it would be much more fun than my F30 and probably a good deal less practical. So I seem to share your mindset and several months of ownership haven't so far given me future lust for the M3/4.

Don't know of course how I'll feel after a year or two of ownership, after we know what the M is like.
__________________
2012 328i Sport
2008 550i Sport
2005 E55
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 AM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 738
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Yo! Girly, not necessarily....

Gonna mod your new ride? Lots o'room for improvement, but you have to wait for parts.

.
Just a poke at the guy who was dissing me... But I stand by the Miata part.

What I don't get is the mentality that if you can afford a BMW you have no right to bitch about gas mileage. Yeah I knew my M3 was a gas guzzler but it really became apparent when I switched jobs to a location that was a surface street only commute in the morning. Thank goodness the return trip is on the freeway at pretty much at normal speeds.

And besides, when I road tripped to my buddy 415 miles away, I had to stop for gas whether I wanted to or not. Now I will have the option.

The chip mod sounds interesting for starters. I will wait awhile to see more feedback.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:40 AM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 738
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
I had an E46 M3 and currently drive an F30 328i Sport. I did test drive the F30 335i and realize it's a different car.

My plan was to drive the F30 for a year or two and then get the second model year of the next M3/4. Maybe when the time comes I'll still do it, but all things considered I'm not sure it would be much more fun than my F30 and probably a good deal less practical. So I seem to share your mindset and several months of ownership haven't so far given me future lust for the M3/4.

Don't know of course how I'll feel after a year or two of ownership, after we know what the M is like.
On a lot of levels the F30 328i is a really compelling and practical alternative to the 335i as the new engine gives it very nice performance. Much better than the E90 328i for sure.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Lorenzzo Lorenzzo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 160
Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
On a lot of levels the F30 328i is a really compelling and practical alternative to the 335i as the new engine gives it very nice performance. Much better than the E90 328i for sure.
I have to say I'm loving it and would have been really happy with the 335i for sure. The two things one has to accept with the 328i are the idle/low rev sounds and number 4.
__________________
2012 328i Sport
2008 550i Sport
2005 E55
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 AM
knechtea's Avatar
knechtea knechtea is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Napa, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: 2008 VW R32
I had a four door M3 and it was great. The gas mileage wasn't great, but also wasn't terrible since my commute was mostly highway. I genarally averaged 20 mpg so I am not complaining. However, since my lease ended and I wanted a new car (and needed a sedan) the F30 335i looked awesome especially in M-Sport guise. After driving it in Europe I am very happy with the choice. Maybe if the F80 M3 were available I might have gone down that road, but it wasn't and I can always jump back when my current lease is up in 3 years.

The gas mileage on the F30 335 is fantastic with tons of power to match. My 2008 M3 had a sticker of $67,000 with all options except 19in rims and DCT. My 2013 F30 had a sticker price of $58,995, but I suspect that the F80 with all the bells and whistles may top out in low to mid $70's.

In the end I am very happy with the tradeoff of better gas mileage and wicked fast performance.
__________________


2013 335i M-Sport, Estoril Blue II, Black Dakota Leather
2008 VW R32 Tornado Red
2008 M3 Sedan 6MT, Jet Black, Black Novillo Leather
2008 135i Vert, Monaco Blue Metallic, Lemon Dakota Leather
2002 E55 AMG, Tectite Gray, Charcoal Nappa Leather
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 AM
SD Z4MR's Avatar
SD Z4MR SD Z4MR is offline
(formerly SD 335is)
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,285
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
That's because he has a girly convertible. Sort of like a Miata.
Yeah, also kind of like a Cobra. Now that's definitely a girly convertible. Like I said, my wife has a 335, but it's the 335is Coupe.

BTW, when the Z4 M Roadster was introduced, BMW recorded a faster Nurburgring lap time with it than the E46 M3. Maybe a girl was driving?
__________________
- Tom
-------
Mine: 2006 Z4 Roadster (E85) | Interlagos Blue Metallic | Black Extended Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Purchased 7/19/12
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 AM
golovko golovko is offline
Software Engineer
Location: Raleigh, NC
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 324
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Yeah, also kind of like a Cobra. Now that's definitely a girly convertible. Like I said, my wife has a 335, but it's the 335is Coupe.

BTW, when the Z4 M Roadster was introduced, BMW recorded a faster Nurburgring lap time with it than the E46 M3. Maybe a girl was driving?
I wouldn't doubt it if it was driven by Sabine Schmitz
__________________


2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is online now
Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,306
Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
When the first of the twin turbo 335i's came out it became apparent that the new engine really gave the S54 engine a run for its money. And it intrigued me. Good gas mileage, yet nice power and torque.

Looking at the E90 M3, I could not fathom it with a V8 along with its super crappy gas mileage. IMHO a 3er M needs to be an inline six. Plus I never got used to the E90 body style--even on the M. So E90 body style was a definite no-go for me: either an M or 335i . So I waited for the next body change.

When I decided on getting an F30 3er I debated waiting for the F30 M version which I'm glad reverts back to an I6. So I started pricing a 335i for the heck of it in the meantime.

A lot of new and great features--especially jumping from an E46. But as you add the bells and whistles you hit $60k MSRP very quickly. That was the sticker of my 2006 M3 pretty well loaded with everything but SMG, PDC and sunshade.

After debating in my mind what I wanted to drive for the next several years, I decided it would be a Sport Sedan with performance and luxury, not a street legal race car. That notwithstanding the diminishing returns of extra money spent on an M versus the increased performance (I don't track my cars), would not be worth it to me at this time in my life.

So I ordered the 335i from Munich. Am glad I experienced owning the M3--it was a fun 6 years. Looking forward now to my 335i....
There are a few inconsistencies in your post IMO.

1) You like the F30 style yet dislike the E90. Most people say they are almost the same except the nose.

2) The E90 M3 is not a street legal race car. It's the ultimate 3 series and is equally adept on the road and the track. In that sense it's certainly not a race car.

3) Those who equate a 3 series with an I6 are seeing a snapshot not the big picture. It's reasonable to associate a 3 series with a 4 cylinder not the I6. The first 3 series, the E21 initially was offered only with 4 cylinder engines and outside of the US 4 cylinder models have been offered for a long time.

4) There is no need to load up a 335 to $60K. You can get one pretty well optioned for $10K less. And I'd guess that an F30 based M3 loaded the same as a $60K F30 will be about $80K.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 PM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 738
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
There are a few inconsistencies in your post IMO.

1) You like the F30 style yet dislike the E90. Most people say they are almost the same except the nose.

2) The E90 M3 is not a street legal race car. It's the ultimate 3 series and is equally adept on the road and the track. In that sense it's certainly not a race car.

3) Those who equate a 3 series with an I6 are seeing a snapshot not the big picture. It's reasonable to associate a 3 series with a 4 cylinder not the I6. The first 3 series, the E21 initially was offered only with 4 cylinder engines and outside of the US 4 cylinder models have been offered for a long time.

4) There is no need to load up a 335 to $60K. You can get one pretty well optioned for $10K less. And I'd guess that an F30 based M3 loaded the same as a $60K F30 will be about $80K.
1) I like the F30 rear end much better than the E90 and the front to me looks better as well. Should I like the E90 because people say it looks close?
2) There are mods you can do to the M3 no doubt, but it is track ready at drive off.
3) We'll agree to disagree. And BMW has seen fit to abandon the V8 on the next rendition of the M3
4)There's no "need" to buy an F30 at any price. But I chose options that put it just south of 60k and I couldn't see paying $80 for an M with the same stuff when the engine is so close to my S54 in performance.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 PM
golovko golovko is offline
Software Engineer
Location: Raleigh, NC
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 324
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
1) I like the F30 rear end much better than the E90 and the front to me looks better as well. Should I like the E90 because people say it looks close?
2) There are mods you can do to the M3 no doubt, but it is track ready at drive off.
3) We'll agree to disagree. And BMW has seen fit to abandon the V8 on the next rendition of the M3
4)There's no "need" to buy an F30 at any price. But I chose options that put it just south of 60k and I couldn't see paying $80 for an M with the same stuff when the engine is so close to my S54 in performance.
The F30 and E90 look nothing alike, if you ask me. The rear end on the F30 is so much better. Has a more refined and less "civic" look to it. The front end is completely different, both look good in their own ways but they are different.
__________________


2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 PM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 738
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
The F30 and E90 look nothing alike, if you ask me. The rear end on the F30 is so much better. Has a more refined and less "civic" look to it. The front end is completely different, both look good in their own ways but they are different.
So true. I just couldn't get into the look. Same as I couldn't with the E60 5er. The F10 I like.

My best buddy who is a BMW owner and aficionado loves the E60 to death.

The F10 is very similar to the F30 at casual glance. One day in a parking lot I walked up to one while not really focusing on the task and gave the kick to open the trunk and realized it wasn't my car.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 PM
WillInDenver's Avatar
WillInDenver WillInDenver is online now
1oz perception-1# obscure
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,362
Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
So true. I just couldn't get into the look. Same as I couldn't with the E60 5er. The F10 I like.

My best buddy who is a BMW owner and aficionado loves the E60 to death.

The F10 is very similar to the F30 at casual glance. One day in a parking lot I walked up to one while not really focusing on the task and gave the kick to open the trunk and realized it wasn't my car.
I've got an E60, and while I think it is a phenomenal car, they didn't get the look quite right. It looks good with the right size wheels and tires, and from certain angles, but many E60s I see around town are just awkward.

The F10 is a beautiful car, a dramatic leap forward in design. It's big but the proportions are just right.

The F30 looks good, not better than the F10 and possibly not better than the E90. But good. They look better in person than in pictures.

All IMO.
__________________
-Will
2013 535i xDrive M-Sport | 2005 545i Sport (Retired and Missed) | 2001 X5 3.0 Sport (Retired)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 PM
LarryboysUDM's Avatar
LarryboysUDM LarryboysUDM is offline
Apay Kapoy
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 547
Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Haven't been a previous M3 or BMW owner but the when the F30 335i M Sport came out, I had to buy one. I was wow'd by the engine, interior, exterior, ride, and drive.
__________________
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
24K mi Sep14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 AM
enigma's Avatar
enigma enigma is offline
Fight On!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,537
Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
4)There's no "need" to buy an F30 at any price. But I chose options that put it just south of 60k and I couldn't see paying $80 for an M with the same stuff when the engine is so close to my S54 in performance.
Where do you get this stuff? The S54 isn't close to the S65 on paper, and it certainly isn't in real life (I own both). Even if I concede that both engines are close, do you judge a car solely by its engine?

By the way, a fully loaded E92 M3 6MT is around $74k (and MDCT is $77), not $80k.

Again, I think the F30 335i is a fantastic car, and it's the right car for many folks. I just don't follow your reasoning.
__________________

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is online now
Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,306
Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
The F30 and E90 look nothing alike, if you ask me. The rear end on the F30 is so much better. Has a more refined and less "civic" look to it. The front end is completely different, both look good in their own ways but they are different.
Depends if you are looking at an LCI E90 (2009+) or the earlier (2006-2008) model. IMO, the F30 and LCI E90 rear ends look very similar.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms