Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Uhdeman

Mein Auto: 99 540i
Cool can i put a NON vanos m62 engine in my 1999 540 w/ the m62tu??

hello everyone. i got a 99 540i with what started out as a bad vanos tick, than somehow turned into the head and valve cover cracking. been in the market for a replacement engine, and i came across a m62 motor i'm interested in. i realize from some research the vanos engine has alittle more tourqe and this and that.. but i think i'm going to stick with the m62 if possible??

my question is, will a m62 drop directly into my 99 540? or do i need to change other stuff? or will it not work? will it mount to my 6speed trans? i have the m-package if it matters. thanks
Ads by Google
Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
"Directly?" Almost, if you retrieve the M62 engine computer and all associated wiring harnesses. You'll also need to sync the computer with your anti-theft system.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Uhdeman

Talking

hey, thanks for replying. does the ecu have to be from the same car? or can i purchase a similar one that will work, say off ebay? i'd have to do the same for the wiring harness.

so i would have to purchase a used ECU, and wire harness that would than allow me to do that swap?

how would i figure out what ECU i will need for my particular application? and how would i know what wire harness i would need?

those are the only 2 things i would need to do??

thanks again!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Uhdeman

reason i'm choosing the m62 over the m62tu, is i dont want to have to worry about the vanos going bad on a used engine, and ending up where i'm at now, i'd rather give up the few tq and hp for a more reliable engine.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Uhdeman

?

Last edited by ericuhde; 11-28-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540i auto
What about just using non-vanos heads? Would that work?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
You will need ECU harness all electronics. Frankly you're better off selling your car or LS1 swap.
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuhde View Post
reason i'm choosing the m62 over the m62tu, is i dont want to have to worry about the vanos going bad on a used engine, and ending up where i'm at now, i'd rather give up the few tq and hp for a more reliable engine.
They make a vanos repair kit I think it costs $100 and they are made of a different material so it doesn't fail again.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4given View Post
Like I said before at 140k miles have your mechanic do vanos seals, timing chain guides, it's going to cost 2k probably but an engine swap would cost about the same and you would probably get the worst electrical gremlins
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Uhdeman

well i paid $2500 for my 99 540. its 6 speed with the m-package, i'm the 2nd owner, its alpine blue? , and only has 108k miles. i bought it running with the vanos tick.week later, i went put a jumper box on the driver valve cover POS post, went to start car, and the head and valve cover cracked over the vanos and the head cracked on the side of the vanos. i turned engine off, and where i'm still at..(can see timing chain sitll has tension on it. didnt take valve cover off. local shop quoted me Over $2000 in just labor, parts who knows what went wrong? so a used engine put in for around 1500, is a better deal. no? yes! but what about a low milage m62 i found.. so well under 1500 to get that in even after a ecu, and wire harness. .. wire harness can be found as low as $50 and ecu's about the same.. so,,

is the wire harness, and ecu all i need?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Uhdeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4given View Post

head work is going to cost almost twice as much as getting a used, low milage(around 100k) put in..
Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: e39 2002 540i6
Are you sure it wasn't a timing chain guide failure, resulting in timing chain failure or slip?

Symptom of the guide going is a loud ticking noise. I would think the piston hitting a valve or two would be enough to damage the head/cams/covers. This could be caused by the timing chain jumping.

A both the M62 and M62TU have the same set up and would have the same issue. So I'd still with a M62TU engine and save yourself the hassle and risk with putting in a different engine.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Uhdeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh3uunp View Post
You will need ECU harness all electronics. Frankly you're better off selling your car or LS1 swap.

ls1? as in chevy ls1?

that's prob a much cheaper engine, and more readily available too. but i dont really want an american engine in my bimmer. but maybe something to think about??
Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Uhdeman

so what exactly would i need to get the m62 other than an ecu, and wire harness??

Last edited by ericuhde; 11-28-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
so what exactly would i need to get the m62 other than an ecu, and wire harness??
I am an "internet expert" aka I'm not a real expert. I know EWS will need replacing LCM coding, not to mention the cluster, ECU replaced. It's a big task and really $$$
Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Uhdeman

lol. you and me both@hh3uunp. well when i got this car, i knew i was gonna be in for a ride when i got it so cheap, and it looks like more than i expected. but i wont give up on my dream of a 5 series... i still cant afford. well looks like the search is still on. i will take the advice of everyone here, thus far.. and keep and eye out for an m62tu engine.

Thanks Everyone for the help!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
ls1? as in chevy ls1?

that's prob a much cheaper engine, and more readily available too. but i dont really want an american engine in my bimmer. but maybe something to think about??
I don't see a problem with a little American in a BMW. Germans are smart but USA still won the war mainly because all the tanks the Germans made were highly unreliable and expensive to make.

The LS1 is a very sexy motor. It is very cheap and reliable. Plus upgrades are really cheap. You could probably make 400 hp easy for the same amount of money. You can also get a manual tranny because BMW autos really like to **** the bed around 175k miles
Or a real cheap LQ4
Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
lol. you and me both@hh3uunp. well when i got this car, i knew i was gonna be in for a ride when i got it so cheap, and it looks like more than i expected. but i wont give up on my dream of a 5 series... i still cant afford. well looks like the search is still on. i will take the advice of everyone here, thus far.. and keep and eye out for an m62tu engine.

Thanks Everyone for the help!
I think someone named Nostiga or something had one for sale. Defiantly try to get a manual tranmission automatics suck and need rebuild 150k miles ish. I'm living the dream right now I have the car of my dreams plus I have improved the reliability. If you can't afford a BMW breaking down you better invest in a good tool kit. If not the general rule of thumb is that it will cost 1500-2000 a year to own a BMW. Not including the gas hungry V8
Old 11-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Uhdeman

well i do most of my own work, tho i dont do engine work, as in rebuilding or breaking down, did a head on my 99 325i, tho i had to pay a shop to time it. i had a 96 328is, i did the m50 intake swap on that, put a stage 3 clutch kit in that, suspesion, etc. could do an engine swap myself but would rather pay a few bucks than have it sit in the driveway for a couple weeks i'm sure.

do you happen to know, off the top of your head, how much the ls1 swap cost? i would think between the engine, than transmission, than exhaust, and so on, no way it would be under 3 grand? right.

think i'm going to wait around a lil while more and see if i find a m62tu with low miles and is in my budget. dont want to put a high milage engine in a low mileage chassis. and i;'m sure much cheaper in the end than a ls1 swap. no?

thanks again
!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
well i do most of my own work, tho i dont do engine work, as in rebuilding or breaking down, did a head on my 99 325i, tho i had to pay a shop to time it. i had a 96 328is, i did the m50 intake swap on that, put a stage 3 clutch kit in that, suspesion, etc. could do an engine swap myself but would rather pay a few bucks than have it sit in the driveway for a couple weeks i'm sure.

do you happen to know, off the top of your head, how much the ls1 swap cost? i would think between the engine, than transmission, than exhaust, and so on, no way it would be under 3 grand? right.

think i'm going to wait around a lil while more and see if i find a m62tu with low miles and is in my budget. dont want to put a high milage engine in a low mileage chassis. and i;'m sure much cheaper in the end than a ls1 swap. no?

thanks again
!
That's great. So you know your ass from a hammer.

Ls1 swap over estimating the cost 5k. But you can get a low cost truck engine that is the same block I think it is LQ9 for under 500 with cooling system makes about 350 Hp but I saw an article about how for 400 bucks in parts you can make it 440 Hp. Transmission personally I would go with a T56 because all autos suck because they're not fun.

I have seen some m62tus in my area and a 6 speed tranny. Ill send you the link.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Uhdeman

well i have a 6 speed on my 540..
Old 11-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
well i have a 6 speed on my 540..
You do... For some reason I thought you had an auto