Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci, 745i, 530i
Question lights button

Hi all,
I picked up a beutiful 2012 3.5D on Wednesday and I didn't have the chance to really enjoy it because I live in CT and have to deal with Sandy's aftermath.
I'ne noticed an extra button on the right of the light main button ( marked with 0, 1, 2 ) and has the fog lights symbol on top. Also, it has a wheel (similar to the dimmer ) that allows changing from 0, 1 and 2. Do you guys know what that is?
Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
is the manual handy?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:00 AM

the manual does not say anything about it, even the sales person did not know what the button is.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
So this post has been bugging me. I downloaded the driver app (iOS) and searched about in the X5. Didnt find anything. Then I decided maybe the x3 might have this feature. BAM. The 0,1,2 according to the x3 quick ref guide, it is for the headlight range (I have no clue what it does, cause their is not mention of it in the x5 or in detail in the manual, but try to see at night if each number changes the headlight range)? I have never heard of such a thing before so, anyone care to chime in here.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550 Msport
I had this on my 520 D when I lived in the UK. It was to adjust the angle of the headlights. I'm surprised you would have this feature on a US spec model.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
...subscribed.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: German
Wait what? Isn't the switch next to the light switch, the one to dim the dash, etc. You shouldn't have the manual leveling because the Bi-Xenons auto level themselves.

Does OP have HUD? Maybe it's the switch to "move" that?

OP, get a picture.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 PM

I thought the HUD switch only was a push button to turn on (brightness and etc were accessible thru idrive).

Again if this is a new feature for the D, amazed. OP do you also have a switch for the rear fogs?

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
I think we need a picture of the switch, I can't find anything online.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Wel, there are two different part numbers for the switch, depending upon whether or not you have HUD:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=61&fg=35
Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 PM

sorry, I did not have a change to take and post an actual picture ( I lost power after Sandy and just got it back few hours ago ), but the light switch is identical with the one posted by Penguin:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=61&fg=35
The cars with HUD have the HUD button on the upper right corner of the part listed above and do not have the rotating wheel ( with 0,1 and 2 position ) bellow.
My car does not have HUD and it seems to me that the upper right button and the wheel bellow are not operational. Am I missing something?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 PM

As I mentioned earlier, that switch is
For headlight range (check the drive app from BMW on the iOS store).
If u can find a garage door, go thru the different numbers and see if they change the position of the beam from ur headlights

Why does this matter?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Adjusting the headlights manually is a EU thing, I wonder if your car got a part from a wrong bin at the factory... or it's one of those cars BMW re-routed to the US market due to low demand overseas.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Adjusting the headlights manually is a EU thing, I wonder if your car got a part from a wrong bin at the factory... or it's one of those cars BMW re-routed to the US market due to low demand overseas.
The thought did cross my mind, but I dont see BMW trying to leave dash components from EU spec vehicles on US vehicles. Its a costlier part then just a US spec part light switch. Again maybe the component manager decided "HEY, its more expensive to purchase US spec parts. Lets just start putting in EU spec parts, unplug the connector for that click wheel"

Best way to clarify the situation, would be
A) Take a picture, not a engineers diagram of the headlight switch
B) At night, find a garage door, and observe the headlight beam, as you scroll through each setting.
1) If its truly not working then i think this should pretty much clarify the puzzle were all trying to figure out.
2) If it does work, GREAT. The OP either has a one of vehicle (LOL) or its a dummy wheel.

Regardless OP, this clickwheel is a awesome find

Why does this matter?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:10 AM

OK, guys! I finally got a chance to take a picture. I'll try tonight to see if rotating the wheel does anything to the lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02363.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	348574  
Old 11-06-2012, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: X5
I wonder if manual lights adjustment is prohibited by DOT regulations.

OP, was it a brand new car? Maybe a previous owner had some retrofit project in the works...

Last edited by smyles; 11-06-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: German
It looks like OP had a Euro light switch retrofit done? Because the US spec cars don't have the manual light adjustment or the button for the rear fog.

Check if the manual adjustment works OP. The Bi-Xenons are supposed to be auto leveling
Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

If this is a factory mistake, it could be interesting...like getting a coin with a minting error!

if it IS the wrong part, getting it documented and seeing what BMWNA says, would be worth a small effort... (indeed, could you imagine a "one vehicle recall" if someone decides this affects the DOT lighting certifications!??!?) Anyway, I'd refuse to allow them to fix it- they cannot force you, it is your property and you have the absolute right to decline any correction. I would want it documented, as you can already see people will say 'someone modded it before you'

A
Old 11-06-2012, 02:09 PM

the car is brand new and this is how it came straight from the factory. The button and wheel are not functional and don't bother me a bit. The lights are self adjusting. I'll be curious to see if anyone else gets the same set up, or if my car is inique.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Resale Value just went up!

Why does this matter?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335i,'02 M3, '08 X5,
Could it have rear fog lights?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Doesn't look like THAT big of a deal. I suspect that BMW would simply have your local dealer perform a part swap sometime in the next few weeks when they get a new part in, right?

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 11-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

As I said, I'd want it on record with a work order, so BMW will have to say "yes, we erred"....and then you say "leave it alone".

In an age when everyone has a copy that someone else has, it is kinda interesting to see. (Never mind that maybe someone could code that feature ON for you...)