Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 03-14-2014, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E34 520i M50
e34 520i M50 Inlet manifold pipe

Hi all, Have just had the car come back from the garage after having a fuel pump replaced and a general diagnostics, the man told me he had noticed a pipe coming from the bulkhead that wasnt connected so he connected it to the inlet manifold for me, I thought oh thats nice of him, but have had strange running problems and smells ever since, so I thought I had better investigate what he has done . . .
The small pipe here to the left of the heater matrix pipes, am I right in thinking this is just a breather and should not be connected to anything the other end ? ? i'm pretty sure this pipe wasnt connected anywhere before

He had connected to here on the inlet manifold . . .

as you can see I have pulled the pipe off where he had connected it to, but what is supposed to be connected here ? or is it left open to suck in or should it be blanked off ?? or maybe the heater breather SHOULD be connected there ? I just KNOW it wasnt before so I wanted to check

Any advice appreciated

Thankyou :-)

Last edited by Mr-Dee; 03-14-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36
Both of them should be tied off.

The pipe on your throttle body is probably supposed to connect to a coolant hose. It is meant to warm up the throttle body quickly in winter. It is usually blocked off...winter heating is not important.

Is that pipe on the throttle body? Can you get a clearer picture angle?

Did you remove the hose and then drive to see if your engine behaved normally ?
Old 03-14-2014, 05:02 PM

No not part of the throttle body, have taken one from another angle . . .
Have put some tape over the barb for now

Old 03-14-2014, 05:13 PM

As well as removing the pipe back off I also re-seated all of the spark plugs and coil packs as I was running out of daylight quickly so I cant determine the exact cause in this case but a good time to find out what is SUPPOSED to be connected to this barb hehe :-)
Old 03-15-2014, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 320i M52 1996
There's something wrong. That little probe is extending from your brake booster's one way valve. It should not be there.

The reason it should not be there is because that is the wrong one-way valve for your engine.

I strongly suggest you go only and buy and install the correct valve there right away. Don't take any risks especially when it comes to your brakes over a part that costs around US$10 at most. And your brakes could well improve as a result.

Search for part numbers at www.bmwfans.info. Plug in the last 7 digits of your vin number and you'll gain access to detailed part diagrams. Search through it (will take you awhile if this is your first time but its worth becoming familiar with the whole thing) and get the correct part number as well as the correct picture/drawing of the part concerned. Then purchase an install immediately.

Installation is very easy. There's only one little trick. Shut your engine down. Then, pump your brakes a few times until it grows hard to push. This will bleed residual vacuum from the booster. Without that vacuum there, it will be fairly simple to prise off that one way valve.

Google for pictures of this on your M50 engine.

Smart people would change everything - 1 foot of vacuum hose (sufficient length for both hoses), 1 one way valve, 1 plastic booster fitting, 1 rubber grommet at the brake booster, and 4 new clips. Everything you have in there is nearly 20 years old. The whole set comes up to under $50. You don't have to buy oem although even oem would be pretty cheap.

Installation is a DIY and takes around 20 minutes at most, and is very difficult to screw up. Observe the new parts to understand how the old ones fit into place and thus how they ought to be removed. Just remember to tighten all the clamps really good, especially the one securing the hose to the intake manifold.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamij View Post
There's something wrong. That little probe is extending from your brake booster's one way valve. It should not be there.

The reason it should not be there is because that is the wrong one-way valve for your engine.
That is the correct one way valve, as shown on realoem.com.

On some older cars i have seen the shut off for cruise control operated like this, but on realoem it seems that nipple should be capped

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 03-16-2014, 12:56 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by E34ZombieHunter View Post
That is the correct one way valve, as shown on realoem.com.

On some older cars i have seen the shut off for cruise control operated like this, but on realoem it seems that nipple should be capped
i agree

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 03-16-2014, 02:20 PM

It certiainly looks as if the valve has been there a very long time, I have never replaced it and I have checked with the previous owner who had it 10 years and he hasn't had it replaced, so I was a bit taken back by Mamij's comment, so its back to my original question - What should be connected to it ? the heater breather pipe, something else ? or nothing ? I have capped it off for the moment ;-)
Old 03-16-2014, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: E36
Especially if it has not been replaced for 10 years, and since the cost of all the parts involved are minor, I would agree that you should get that replaced. I wouldn't trust a 10 year old one way valve, and these are brakes.