Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
I heard that an a lightened camshaft pulley made of aluminium and with timing adjustments would be a great way to decrease load on the engine and advance timing (or is it retard timing?) to experience more power in the engine using regular fuel alone.
This is a mistake on my part. Cam timing has got zilch to do with ignition timing. Brain fart. Adjustable camshaft pulleys change the length of time your exhaust or intake valves remain in the open position, and the overlap time. This can theoretically introduce more air into your car during the intake and excavate more exhaust gases out of the chamber during the exhaust (thus creating a greater vacuum that helps to pull in even more air when the intake valves open).

However, if this is not done right, the pistons could end up hitting the valves. And even if that does not happen, your idle may not be correct.

The literature on this subject on google is extensive and requires careful study. There does not seem to be adjustable cams for timing chain engines.

You need to be an expert at this before you attempt it on your own, be guided by one (i'm sure there may be some on these or other forums though I've not encountered any such threads here) or you need to take your car to an outfit that does this regularly.

The pulleys themselves are rather cheap...$100-$200, lasts forever, is lighter than stock, and can be changed along with the timing belt to optimise labour bills. The Ebay ads for adjustable pulleys for the timing belt M20 engines promise improved performance even in daily driving. :

" BMW 3 SERIES VERNIER ADJUSTABLE CAM PULLEY

Cam gears are CNC-machined from AL7075-T6 billet aluminum.
The 6-bolt design eliminates any chance of slippage. They allow fine adjustments to cam timing with simple hand tools.
Maximize engine performance anywhere whether youíre in the pits or in your own garage.
Itís a well known fact that camshaft timing plays a vital role in performance tuning.
By changing the cam timing (retard, advance/overlap), you tune the overall drivability and performance aspect of the car.
Even stock engines can benefit by dialing-in cam timing/overlap.
Fits:
BMW E21,E28,E30,E34,E36 all with the M20 engine. "

So this may indeed be worth looking at further.

rgds,
Roberto
Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 Bmw 525i
What's a good set to pick up? Also, are there any decent cold air intakes?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995i540 View Post
I miss my E30, my stripped out E30 325is was MUCH more fun than 540I. Shopping cart FTW
-700 lbs and a 4.10 rear-end will do that.