Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E64 650i
BMW E63 650i Active Steering

Hello everyone

Hello everyone!
First of all please take my apologies for my bad English.
And also please help me in my new problem
When I am driving fast, my car immediately indicates error of Active Steering wheel. And after few hours, after starting engine once again it is working good. But sometimes few hours not enough. So, Active Steering wheel sometimes works, sometimes not. When I checked it by computer there is only one error - ECO VALVE. But I am not sure that repairing of this valve will solve my problems. I suspect that there is some other problems.
I would like to ask you to answer me on few questions.
1. How can I find this part on my car - ECO VALVE, where is it mounted?
2. Can I repair it myself or should I change it?
3. If the scanner is writing error ECO VALVE could be there other problem or it is exactly this part?
4. Or tell me someone who knows about this more then I could find info.

Thank you in advance for your attention.
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
I am not personally familiar with the ECO VALVE but according to this technical document, it is an "Electronically Controlled Orifice" which I think is part of the power steering pump on the 6er. In my search I saw other people needing a new power steering rack ($4,600) when they got this error.

I would get a good indie BMW mechanic to take a look and see if they can replace the valve since the dealer will not change the valve on its own.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 02-06-2015, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645 CI
I had a similar problem when I first purchased my 645ci. It turned out to be the computer. I strongly advise paying Bmw to check it out before doing anything. There are so many options you could waste a lo of money.