Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Ed's E36 in SoCal

Mein Auto: 1997 328i E36
ASC light on dash always on -- need advice

Sorry for the new post guys. I first called it a "DTC light" and it's actually called an ASC light or ASC-T light. Need advice on what to check for. Assume I'm a generic brand experienced car mechanic, not specifically familiar with BMWs. I'm calling it the right name on this new thread, hoping to get some help on this.

Problem statement:
1997 BMW 328i sedan. CA model. ASC light on dash (center, bottom) lights when I turn on the engine, but stays on. NO OTHER DASH LIGHTS ARE ON.

I tried:
- pushing the "ABS" button near the shifter. I tried holding it down.
- disconnecting battery (-) cable overnight, reconnecting.
- checked and filled master brake fluid to full.
- Looked at fuses and relays under the hood. The #7 fuse appears burnt. It is stated to be for the alarm system (which actually works as far as the alarm going off when I open the door without using the remote control). I doubt it's for the ASC, but I replaced it. NO help.
- The big orange "ASC" relay is firmly in place, I removed and tested it with my DMM - works. I noticed the contacts are pretty clean but covered with what appears to be a "varnish" coating. I thought it may be a protective (dielectric?) grease, but it's hard so I guess it's maybe corrosion. THe contacts are copper, so copper oxide should look dark brown (like an old penney) but this is more of a bright, clear coating like varnish would look. Maybe it's dried dielectic grease? So, cleaned the relay contacts with sandpaper and reinstall it.

Q1: Any feedback at this point would help....such as, which other relays and fuses could cause the ASC light to be lit constantly whenever the engine is on (no other lights are on)? What about the big orange ABC relay next to the big, orange ASC relay?

Q2: I bought a Peake R5/FCX 3 scanner. Will this read ASC codes? Will it detect a faulty wheel speed sensor or ASC module? How do you check a wheel speed sensor after you remove it? Resistance? Will this scanner reset the light, after I find & fix the problem?

It's not intuitive to me why cleaning a dirty wheel sensor won't help. Is because dirt doesn't affect speed sensors? I'm not talking about electrically defective sensors, just dirty ones.
Ads by Google
Old 11-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Ed's E36 in SoCal

UPDATES: I could really use some help here, folks. I posted last week thinking it was a DTC light, but it's actually a ASC light that is constantly on. Meanwhile, I bought a code reader on line per someone's suggestion to check for the ASC fault codes. After I ordered it, I was checking prices and found some confusion over the various model scanners available (R5/FCX-3 vs R5/FCX-3-16 vs R5/FCX-II-16 are all selling on EBay). So, I wrote to Peake. Below is their reply.

The R5/FCX-3 and R5/FCX-3-16 are "engine" scanners, so they won't help with other systems in the car like ABS, ACS, SRS, etc. It communicates specifically with the engine computer only.

Both tools are able to scan for engine fault codes, reset the Check Engine (Service Engine Soon) light as well as reset the oilservice/inspection light.

The difference between the FCX-3 and the FCX-3-16 is in compatible years only.

FCX-3 works on most 1987-2000 (some 2001/2002 depending on specific BMW)
FCX-3-16 works on most 2003-2007 (some 2001/2002 depending on specific BMW)
*2001/2002 were transition years, specific year, make and model needed to choose correct tool.

Hope that helps and e-mail anytime :-)
Roxann Brink
Peake Research
800-231-6861
www.r5tool.com

THE PROBLEM IS, PEAKE SAYS THESE SCANNERS READ ONLY ENGINE CODES, AND WON'T READ ASC CODES!! IS THIS TRUE? IF SO, I JUST BOUGHT A SCANNER FOR NOTHING!! THANKS!!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Hello!

Mein Auto: A bike; 1996 328i Sedan
I have this same problem. Personally, I don't think it really matters, unless you're driving in snow or going to sell it. Nothing has happened to me while driving with this problem. So I assume it's not going to make you crash or anything of the sort, unless you lose traction or something of the sort. Since you're in CA, which I presume to be a snow-less area, ASC shouldn't really matter. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think a dirty wheel sensor would affect much because it'll always get dirty. My guess would be a faulty wheel/speed sensor and/or a faulty control module.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Have you tried Google to search for your problem?

'96 328i BMW, Auto

Last edited by RawrRawr; 11-02-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: '01 530i
Same issue here, previous owner said it came on after he did a brake job on the car. Would love some help with this one too.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Ed's E36 in SoCal

This is the OP (orig poster) again. Thanks for the 2 replies. I will post results if I have any to help you out. So far, I'm pissed cuz I bought a scanner that the mfr states can't read ASC codes. I'm hoping to check whatever I can w/o a scanner (the one I bought only reads engine codes, per the mfr) such as maybe the wheel sensors using a DMM. I've checked the fuses and the ASC relay and the ABS relay and they work. I've disconnected the battery overnight. I've clicked the ABS button on the console. No one has advised me here on what specific relays/fuses to check (and where they are located on the car), or how to check things w/o a scanner, or what scanner CAN scan a ASC code. I'll keep researching. Yes, I need to sell the car ASAP so that's why I want everything fixed so buyers won't run away or lowball me.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4ed View Post
This is the OP (orig poster) again. Thanks for the 2 replies. I will post results if I have any to help you out. So far, I'm pissed cuz I bought a scanner that the mfr states can't read ASC codes. I'm hoping to check whatever I can w/o a scanner (the one I bought only reads engine codes, per the mfr) such as maybe the wheel sensors using a DMM. I've checked the fuses and the ASC relay and the ABS relay and they work. I've disconnected the battery overnight. I've clicked the ABS button on the console. No one has advised me here on what specific relays/fuses to check (and where they are located on the car), or how to check things w/o a scanner, or what scanner CAN scan a ASC code. I'll keep researching. Yes, I need to sell the car ASAP so that's why I want everything fixed so buyers won't run away or lowball me.
Well, you MIGHT just be in a bit of luck. I just read your thread here, and I've had this manual tucked away for a rainy day. This may fit the bill for you:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E36_ASC+T.pdf (240.0 KB, 814 views)

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
I'm thinking it is entirely possible that your brake system is leaking (since you mentioned topping it up) and it isn't up to 80 bar. This could well cause your symptoms. I'm sure you can find via Harbor Freight or such a brake system pressure tester.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Ed's E36 in SoCal

Thanks for the replies. I did half hour of Google for "E36 ASC light on" and found about 6 hits with exactly the same problem as mine. I read them and have many ideas, and also some seriously detailed links: http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/etm/data/e36/e36_97.pdf

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=341672

I can't believe people on this forum didn't suggest this. I see some of them were on similar forums as this one.

I'll check if I can toggle the ABS switch to turn off the ASC light (ignition in position "2". I'll check the wheel sensors at the ASC module behind the glovebox using a DMM (details of how to check in the links). I'll check the wiring as the ASC module and clean the connectors. I'll check the ASC module (on the throttle body) cables, and clean the connections. Lastly, I'll try testing the brake pressure but I think the car stops well and there's no ABS light on (if my car has one; which I'll check by turning the ignition switch "ON" but not "RUN" to see what lights come on) so it's not lack of brake fluid pressure. Will update you when I know more!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Ed's E36 in SoCal

ASC light PROBLEM SOLVED -- PROBLEM WAS: FORGOT TO CONNECT ASC CABLE TO THROTTLE

ASC light PROBLEM SOLVED -- PROBLEM WAS: ASC CABLE WAS NOT CONNECTED TO ASC THROTTLE VALVE!! I had disconnected the cable when I was working on something in that area of the engine and tucked it behind the shock tower where it was not easily seen. Luckily, a video clip on You Tube showed that the "extra" throttle valve was there just for the ASC system to shut down the engine speed by cutting off air flow. Once I knew that was for ASC, I looked closely at the ASC throttle valve and began wondering how the ASC system can electronically close that valve without any wires or cables connected to it. It does have a TPS on the top of it, but that isn't a motor and can't close the valve. I was looking around with a flashlight and stumbled upon the loose cable that should connect there. The cable comes from the master cylinder area and approaches the ASC throttle valve from the inner fender direction. THANKS EVERYONE!! SPecial thanks to the guy who sent me the link to the ASC sytem (it had tons of info, detail, diagrams, but I don't think it shows the locations of the basic parts of the ASC system - it assumes the reader is a BMW technician and knows where all those things are located. Not me!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0510 ASC throttle valve missing cable.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	348329  
Old 11-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Ed's E36 in SoCal

PS - the screwdriver in the photo is pointing to where the (previously missing) cable connects.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Ed's E36 in SoCal

Jonesin was the BMW forum member who sent me the link to the ASC system. THANK YOU FOR THAT!!

Lesson learned: [1] Knowing the locations of the ASC components is key; the Youtube search for "E36 ASC throttle" (or something like that) turned up the video clip! The guy in the video explains how to tell if your car has ASC-T or not, and he points to the ASC throttle valve.
[2] I think what also saved me a lot of time in fixing this was knowing that my car has both an ASC light and a ABS light (turn on key to ON position, check which lights are exist on dash), and knowing that when the engine was on ONLY THE ASC LIGHT WAS LIT (the ABS light was not lit), which indicated I didn't have to check all the parts in common to both systems. So, I skipped checking the wheel speed sensors (although I tried cleaning them, per another post I read). If my car doesn't have an ABS light (I imagine they all do, just some cars don't have the ASC light) I'd have to check the wheel sensors too, which can be done with a DMM but takes time removing the glovebox door and measuring resistance from at the ASC module wire harness (I posted link earlier showing how it's done).