Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: SC - USA
Sirius vs XM

I previously had XM on my last car and I naively assumed that the lineups would be the same when I got my BMW but it turns out they are not and there are some really large gaps for me and I am hoping that someone can answer if I am incorrect and these channels are somewhere:

1) Fox Sports Radio: This was around 169 on XM but doesn't show up on Sirius. I am pretty sure this doesn't exist at all on Sirius but they say that Dan Patrick is on Channel 92 at the normal time can someone confirm this?

2) College Football games: With XM I got all the games starting on channel 190. I now don't see those stations on Sirius but I do see "Sports Play by Play" starting at 211. Is that where I will now find college football games during the season?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
SiriusXM is one company. You won't find any channel differences from what I've been told.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
There are differences. SiriusXM is one company but has two services still - xm and sirius.

90 percent of the channels are the same but....

Sirius doesn't get the Major League Baseball games, and doesn't get the clear channel music stations like KISS.

Not sure about other sports like football. But you can't get the above with Sirius no matter what package you have due to contract restrictions -- these are contracts that were written before the merger.

Also, Howard Stern is native to Sirius while Opie and Anthony are native to XM and you have to subscribe to the "best of xm" or "best of sirius" to get the one that isn't native to Sirius or XM.

What sucks for us is that Sirius very slowly is not selling Sirius radios anymore and is only selling combined SiriusXM radios which get extra frequencies. This is for an eventual "SiriusXM 2.0" path where Sirius radios will be phased out over the next 10 or so years and everything will be on the XM platform using the Sirius satellites for extra bandwidth from what I have read on xm fan.com

If you look at SiriusXM's site it kinda makes sense as I don't see them selling after market Sirius radios anymore. Some car manufacturers still do like BMW but I bet they all switch to the combined SiriusXM radios with 2.0 functionality soon as there are already 2.0 stations live in the 300 channel range like Tiesto Club Life but you need a new SiriusXM 2.0 radio to get those channels.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierrob View Post
There are differences. SiriusXM is one company but has two services still - xm and sirius.

90 percent of the channels are the same but....

Sirius doesn't get the Major League Baseball games, and doesn't get the clear channel music stations like KISS.

Not sure about other sports like football. But you can't get the above with Sirius no matter what package you have due to contract restrictions -- these are contracts that were written before the merger.

Also, Howard Stern is native to Sirius while Opie and Anthony are native to XM and you have to subscribe to the "best of xm" or "best of sirius" to get the one that isn't native to Sirius or XM.

What sucks for us is that Sirius very slowly is not selling Sirius radios anymore and is only selling combined SiriusXM radios which get extra frequencies. This is for an eventual "SiriusXM 2.0" path where Sirius radios will be phased out over the next 10 or so years and everything will be on the XM platform using the Sirius satellites for extra bandwidth from what I have read on xm fan.com

If you look at SiriusXM's site it kinda makes sense as I don't see them selling after market Sirius radios anymore. Some car manufacturers still do like BMW but I bet they all switch to the combined SiriusXM radios with 2.0 functionality soon as there are already 2.0 stations live in the 300 channel range like Tiesto Club Life but you need a new SiriusXM 2.0 radio to get those channels.

audi's also have sirius radios . the nice thing about the sirius XM 2.0 radios is they will eventaully be able to do things like packages where you just a la carte.

i guess from sirius point of view it also means all those peopl ewho bought the sirius lifetime subscription will eventually get cut off.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: '10 VW GTI
HD Radio + Pandora + iPod = the simple of joy of telling Sirius/XM "no"
Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911 View Post
HD Radio + Pandora + iPod = the simple of joy of telling Sirius/XM "no"
I was thinking that some sort of app to stream the game would be my fallback but I would much rather have something integrated like I did before. With XM I would just scroll to Channel 190 and then all the games would start there and I could listen to the Gamecocks or just scroll around to check out the scores.

I guess I should post this question on a satellite radio forum and report back here...
Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 AM

hthttp://tunein.com/radio/stations/S...ations-a37529/

Being able to get all the major college games from a single source is very nice. That's the only thing I miss about SXM. But not enough to fork over $15 per month. When I lived in Greenville/Mauldin it would have been a different story had Sirius/XM been around then. Since I worked in Easley there was nothing on sports radio but Clemson news, ad nauseum.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911 View Post
hthttp://tunein.com/radio/stations/S...ations-a37529/

Being able to get all the major college games from a single source is very nice. That's the only thing I miss about SXM. But not enough to fork over $15 per month. When I lived in Greenville/Mauldin it would have been a different story had Sirius/XM been around then. Since I worked in Easley there was nothing on sports radio but Clemson news, ad nauseum.
You used to live where I live now and as you point out the local talk radio is all Clemson all the time

Heck I would rather hear about your Vols than Clemson sometimes

It looks like I can get the games, but the channel lineup will be different, I was told that Sirius should be posting the first weekend schedule next week and I can confirm.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:

Why does that suck? Instead of two different types of units, which will confuse consumers, there will be one unit. Also, it's a bit of a misnomer - Sirius bought out XM and only kept the name for the recognition. Eventually all XM branded radios will be gone, but Sirius are using XM satellites (which are owned by Sirius...there is no XM company). One product is great, and hopefully they will phase out the extra cost "Best of...". One thing to note, probably the reason why Howard is on Siri only and O&A are on XM only is contracts (gotta hate lawyers). I'd bet it states that of Howard were to play on XM or O&A on SIRI then they would have to get paid double...which is not ideal for the company - especially if the sales don't double. On the other hand, they probably get away with it with the "Best of" and the extra cost is used to pay Howard and O&A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
audi's also have sirius radios . the nice thing about the sirius XM 2.0 radios is they will eventaully be able to do things like packages where you just a la carte.

i guess from sirius point of view it also means all those peopl ewho bought the sirius lifetime subscription will eventually get cut off.
Why would SIRI get rid of lifetime subscriptions for those who already have them? At worst I could see them not offering it anymore, but still honoring the agreement.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 AM

It sucks because we will have factory radios installed in BMW's with Sirius radios instead of SiriusXM 2.0 radios (which are already being sold after market, btw). And I don't think our Sirius radios will work with the new platform.

Of course, by then, we may have all traded in our vehicles anyways....

Robert
Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
It sucks because we will have factory radios installed in BMW's with Sirius radios instead of SiriusXM 2.0 radios (which are already being sold after market, btw). And I don't think our Sirius radios will work with the new platform.

Of course, by then, we may have all traded in our vehicles anyways....

Robert
Not building/selling the units in the future is a lot different than not providing service. A few things that may happen
1) They may cut it off. But it will be a long time off (10 years in tech is HUGE amounts of time, and it may be more than that)
2) They may offer some software patch
3) they may offer some hardware upgrade/fix
4) they may have legacy services that will extend for a greater period of time than 10 years

I wouldn't get bent out of shape on something that may or may not happen in ten years (assuming it's even that). I would also keep in mind, that it's unreasonable to ask a company to maintain serviceability on hardware forever. That prevents them from growing/expanding.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM

I just wish, if Sirius XM 2.0 is "the future", that BMW would put Sirius XM 2.0 radios in their vehicles instead of the older "Sirius" radios. That way we would be getting the new channels from the 2.0 platform today. This isn't just about 10 years from now -- it's that we can't get content like Tiesto's Club Life Radio (Sirius XM 2.0 channel 340) right now this very moment.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrena View Post
You used to live where I live now and as you point out the local talk radio is all Clemson all the time

Heck I would rather hear about your Vols than Clemson sometimes

It looks like I can get the games, but the channel lineup will be different, I was told that Sirius should be posting the first weekend schedule next week and I can confirm.
I had to suffer through Big Mo enough to make me puke. And although a TN fan, I always rooted for the 'Cocks as SEC member. Unless it was our game weekend of course. These days, you guys kick our asses on a regular basis

On the bright side, Williams-Brice is a wonderful place to go watch a game. And Columbia, like most SEC campuses, seems to have a never-ending supply of drool worthy girls .
Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
I just wish, if Sirius XM 2.0 is "the future", that BMW would put Sirius XM 2.0 radios in their vehicles instead of the older "Sirius" radios. That way we would be getting the new channels from the 2.0 platform today. This isn't just about 10 years from now -- it's that we can't get content like Tiesto's Club Life Radio (Sirius XM 2.0 channel 340) right now this very moment.
So why is BMW not putting these in? How much more is a 2.0 device than a 1.0 device? Eventually, I would think, the 1.0 devices will not longer be produced and/or available.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote: