Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: jeep
Xenon upgrade ....

Hi. Does anyone know any place in New York where I can get the xenon upgrade on a 2015 328? Just picked up the car ....ordered almost every option but stupidly it didn't dawn on me to get the xenons as I thought the cool lights I saw on so many new Bmw's were the ones that came with the car . You would think the guy who sold me the car who knew I was getting every option under the sun would clue me in on the xenons. If he would have simply said they were slightly better I would not have hesitated. Now the dealer basically refuses to help and told me it would cost me 15 k to get out of the car and order a new one.

thanks very much

Last edited by artie; 03-15-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2015, 05:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW F30 316D 2013
I had the same situation when I thought xenon comes with the all BMW cars. The time I got to know my car was out of the production and there was nothing I and they could do to change that, however my dealer was so nice and he agreed to keep the car and order me another one with xenon option with that opportunity I added HK and sun protection package.

Talk to them if they can help in any way. For them its very easy to sell the car so even if they need to order a newone for you they can easily sell the old one.

If there is no option to do that I would say to replace the bulb with white xenon ones instead retrofitting full xenon as that would cost you alot.

Best of luck......
Old 03-15-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittenyadhav View Post
I had the same situation when I thought xenon comes with the all BMW cars. The time I got to know my car was out of the production and there was nothing I and they could do to change that, however my dealer was so nice and he agreed to keep the car and order me another one with xenon option with that opportunity I added HK and sun protection package.

Talk to them if they can help in any way. For them its very easy to sell the car so even if they need to order a newone for you they can easily sell the old one.

If there is no option to do that I would say to replace the bulb with white xenon ones instead retrofitting full xenon as that would cost you alot.

Best of luck......
Thanks...appreciate the response...the car has 22 miles on it ..how the heck can it cost me 15k to get out of it? I will do something because I am missing out on both the functionality of the xenons and the looks....I did upgrade it to the high intensity bulbs but it is not even close...the xenons look so much better....
Old 03-15-2015, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Thanks...appreciate the response...the car has 22 miles on it ..how the heck can it cost me 15k to get out of it? I will do something because I am missing out on both the functionality of the xenons and the looks....I did upgrade it to the high intensity bulbs but it is not even close...the xenons look so much better....
There are dozens of threads about this very subject. The general consensus is that it is a very expensive retrofit. To me, the HID lights are worth the $950 upgrade when you are buying, but are not worth the $3k+ you will spend on the retrofit.

2014 328i Sedan, Estoril Blue, M-Sport package, M-Sport Brakes, Premium Package, Lighting Package, Drivers Assistance Package, Nav
Old 03-15-2015, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 435 GC
Well mistake #1 you didn't look at the actual specs and the options and mistake #2 you drove off the lot. As soon as you do that the car is yours and it depreciates like a rock. Hopefully you can find an OEM Xenon assembly on eBay or something. Just don't stick Xenon bulbs in the Halogen reflector housings and blind everyone on the road like some @sshats. Good luck.

Last edited by pheerix; 03-15-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
Well mistake #1 you didn't look at the actual specs and the options and mistake #2 you drove off the lot. As soon as you do that the car is yours and it depreciates like a rock. Hopefully you can find an OEM Xenon assembly on eBay or something. Just don't stick Xenon bulbs in the Halogen reflector housings and blind everyone on the road like some @sshats. Good luck.
You are right...on both accounts...however the first mistake emanates from not looking at a car with xenons and a car with halogens... Once I knew it didn't have xenons I still didn't comprehend that the lights physically look different with them ( so much nicer with xenons ) and how different they were in functionality. It really is a night and day difference. Finding it on eBay is half the battle ..it is finding someone that will install them and know what they are doing....I understand the car depreciates once you drive it off the lot but 15k ? No way...I called a few other dealers and they all said that if I bought it from them they would have gotten me out with minimal cost. I am just finding out the hard way that yes I made a mistake( of course) but my dealer not working with me on this is really leaving a sour taste .
Old 03-16-2015, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badreligion702 View Post
There are dozens of threads about this very subject. The general consensus is that it is a very expensive retrofit. To me, the HID lights are worth the $950 upgrade when you are buying, but are not worth the $3k+ you will spend on the retrofit.
If I knew where I could do it for 3k and it would be like oem I would do it in a heartbeat. Thanks
Old 03-16-2015, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i X Drive
Just a guess, but it sounds like the dealership may be concerned about potential lingering issues after a retrofit that they wouldn't want to get involved with. It might be best to continue to look around for an indy shop that can do it - Or give it some time and see if you adjust to the halogens. Good luck.e
Old 03-16-2015, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328 xi wagon
No one else on Bimmerfest has accepted the argument that I will offer to make you feel better about the halogens. I believe it strongly enough that I ordered my latest car with them.

When xenons first came out someone in Canada did a study, convinced that they would cut down on night time accidents. They did not. I was not surprised. When I was a camp counselor in college, the campers would walk at night with bright flashlights, while the counselors would walk by moonlight, because we could see much further once our eyes adjusted.

I believe that xenons allow you to see better within the range that they light up but blind you to things that you might see beyond the lights, like the dim tail lights of an old pick-up truck or the battery light on a bicycle. I don't care if the xenons look better--I want to see dimly lighted things out beyond my headlights earlier.

Like I have said, I haven't convinced anyone else, but I feel safer with my halogens. I offer this argument for your consideration. It might save you $15k.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:48 PM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 335ix M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittenyadhav View Post

Best of luck......
What is 'sun protection package'? Window tinting I hope! Is this needed in Dublin?

2014 F30 Mineral Gray| Coral Red Dakota | xDrive | M-Sport | MPPK | 2TB | ZCW| ZPP | ZTP | ZD2 | ZDH | Z4A | 5DP | 5DL |HK Stereo |

Gone, but not forgotten:
11 BMW 335xi e90
08 BMW 335i e90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 03-16-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by After Hours View Post
No one else on Bimmerfest has accepted the argument that I will offer to make you feel better about the halogens. I believe it strongly enough that I ordered my latest car with them.

When xenons first came out someone in Canada did a study, convinced that they would cut down on night time accidents. They did not. I was not surprised. When I was a camp counselor in college, the campers would walk at night with bright flashlights, while the counselors would walk by moonlight, because we could see much further once our eyes adjusted.

I believe that xenons allow you to see better within the range that they light up but blind you to things that you might see beyond the lights, like the dim tail lights of an old pick-up truck or the battery light on a bicycle. I don't care if the xenons look better--I want to see dimly lighted things out beyond my headlights earlier.

Like I have said, I haven't convinced anyone else, but I feel safer with my halogens. I offer this argument for your consideration. It might save you $15k.
What if you wanted a 335 or 4 series? They come with Xenons standard.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:

Actually every study I have found says the exact opposite....if I knew how to attach the studies here I would...xenons reduce accidents at night in rural areas by 50% ...
Why HID?
Xenon headlamps are the best vehicle lighting currently available because they offer more light than conventional bulbs - and this in a quality similar to daylight. Some auto experts cite the almost complete darkness on isolated highways as a reason for why HID lighting is becoming popular. HID lights promote safety by providing a better overall view of the roadway and the ability to see upcoming objects quickly and more clearly. For example, road signs and objects on the road are easier to see when illuminated by HID headlights.
HID provides a better vision.
It can be vital to see more in borderline situations. Because the risk of having an accident at night is about twice as high as during the day - despite the fact that there is less traffic on the road. The reason: humans are inadequately equipped to see at night or in poor weather conditions. The better you can see and the more similar the light conditions are to daylight, the better the compensation for the factors that make night driving difficult:
Overstimulation caused by the large number of traffic signs.
Reduction of visual acuity at night to one twentieth of the daytime level.
Loss of important information due to restricted field of vision, considerably reduced ability to recognise contrasts and colours.
Tiredness and decreasing concentration.
Diminishing powers of vision in the dark from 30 years of age onwards.
How is HID different?
HID lighting provides about three times the light output of standard halogen headlights while using less energy. HID lights are designed to last up to 5 times longer than standard halogen lamps.
HID is similar to daylight.
Xenon bulbs offer more light than conventional bulbs and that in a quality similar to daylight. Ensuring more safety. Road illumination is brighter and wider with the xenon light which has a longer range. In particular, dangers at the curb areas as well as obstacles in front of the vehicle are recognized more quickly. Pedestrians or cyclists can also be seen better, as can traffic signs at the edge of the road. In poor weather conditions - such as rain, fog or snow - drivers also have much better spatial vision. This means that the orientation ability of drivers is less limited despite adverse conditions. Driving comfort is also improved. Because it is not the act of seeing itself which leads to tiredness and other negative effects, but the concentration involved. A road that is illuminated more brightly and widely by xenon light reduces the amount of concentration needed, so that drivers do not become tired as quickly and can concentrate on driving longer.
Once with HID, always with HID.
In 1997, the renowned opinion research institute Emnid carried out a survey among drivers whose vehicles were equipped with xenon light. The results of this survey speak for themselves:
94% of all xenon users have a positive opinion of xenon light, the main features mentioned were brightness (42 %) and general illumination (35 %).
85% of all xenon users feel they could see better at night, with the age-group over 50 this figure even rose to 90 %.
83% of all xenon users would order their next car with xenon light again.
80% of all xenon users feel they can see better in the rain using xenon light.
75% of all xenon users state that the wider illumination of the road creates more safety for cyclists and pedestrians.
64% of all xenon users consider xenon light to be so good that it should be made standard for all vehicles.
61% of all xenon users feel safer with xenon light.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:04 AM

And besides the xenons give the car a contemporary cool look whereas the halogens look so dated...
Old 03-17-2015, 03:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
what is sun protection package?
Old 03-17-2015, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
And besides the xenons give the car a contemporary cool look whereas the halogens look so dated...
This is what sells xenons. The latest cool light that everyone notices.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:41 PM

LEDs are the latest tech
Old 03-17-2015, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Agreed. Halogens look dated. Plus the adaptive lighting and auto-leveling is icing on the cake. I'll never get halogens again, but xenons come standard on all the cars I'm targeting anyway, so it's a non-issue for me.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
LEDs are the latest tech
Xenons are a massive upgrade over halogens, but LEDs, although very cool, aren't as great an upgrade over xenons.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:54 PM
2015 328x

Mein Auto: 2013 bmw 328i xdrive seda
I am still trying to figure this out...If I buy a no line 328i xdrive and do not opt for the $900 lighting package, what do I get for lighting? I would think halogen. I am getting confused with all the talk of HID lighting, halogen lighting, xenon lighting/ led lighting. Would someone please illuminate me on this subject? I have the $900 lighting package on my 2013. I love how well it lights the road. I thought if I do not get the same in my 2015 it would not light the road as well. I am not as concerned about the light turning with the vehicle as I am about the brightness.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykatie View Post
I am still trying to figure this out...If I buy a no line 328i xdrive and do not opt for the $900 lighting package, what do I get for lighting? I would think halogen. I am getting confused with all the talk of HID lighting, halogen lighting, xenon lighting/ led lighting. Would someone please illuminate me on this subject? I have the $900 lighting package on my 2013. I love how well it lights the road. I thought if I do not get the same in my 2015 it would not light the road as well. I am not as concerned about the light turning with the vehicle as I am about the brightness.
On a 328 halogen lights are standard. The $900 dollar package upgrades you to HID (aka Xenons). On a 335 the $1,900 lighting package upgrades the standard HID to LED headlamps.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:42 PM
2015 328x

Mein Auto: 2013 bmw 328i xdrive seda
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i View Post
On a 328 halogen lights are standard. The $900 dollar package upgrades you to HID (aka Xenons). On a 335 the $1,900 lighting package upgrades the standard HID to LED headlamps.
Thanks. I am surprised at how many in Stock 328s in the $50,000 range DO NOT have the $900 xenon upgrade. I checked all in Stock vehicles in a 50 mile radius. Was looking for premium, COLD weather, navigation, driver assistance and xenon. 95 had all but the xenon. Me, I put that as my must have. Have a good night.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
Quote:
Thanks. I am surprised at how many in Stock 328s in the $50,000 range DO NOT have the $900 xenon upgrade. I checked all in Stock vehicles in a 50 mile radius. Was looking for premium, COLD weather, navigation, driver assistance and xenon. 95 had all but the xenon. Me, I put that as my must have. Have a good night.
Right now the BMW dealer I work with have two 2014 328i GT's with the M Sport Package, MSRP is $52K, reduced down to $43K, no lighting package... I think this is the reason why these cars have not sold, you were asked to spend 52K for a car that doesn't have Xenon's...

2016 328xi GT, Imperial Blue, Oyster Interior, Tech, Premium, DHP and more. ED 8-28-2015 Production started 7-29-15

Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I am surprised at how many in Stock 328s in the $50,000 range DO NOT have the $900 xenon upgrade.
These are lease special models designed for the lowest possible lease payment with the most popular options.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i View Post
On a 335 the $1,900 lighting package upgrades the standard HID to LED headlamps.
Can't get LEDs on a 335. There is no lighting package for the 335.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:

+1

The brilliant light of xenons does not translate to seeing further down the road. Light from xenon bulbs appears to me as thin or not including as much of the spectrum as halogen. In my experience most cars are delivered new with headlights mis-aimed usually downward. A good headlight alignment will allow halogen bulbs to perform well. Some owners are attracted to xenons because they like the way they look to others. That's ok I suppose, however to me lights are there to do a job.

Last edited by John MS; 04-15-2015 at 06:06 AM.