Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i sedan on order
Run Flat Tires - Tire Rotation?

Folks. I have the stock run flat tires on my F30 328i. I didn't see anything about tire rotation in the owners' guide. In my pre-BMW days, I used to change the oil and rotate tires every 3k miles religiously.

Other than my new car break in oil change at about 1500 miles, I'm going to use the recommended BMW maintenance schedule.

BUT, none of the BMW material has any guidance on tire rotation. I'm trying to be a good owner and stay on top of my maintenance. I called my CA, and he said 'change it when you see abnormal wear'

Any thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slythex View Post
Folks. I have the stock run flat tires on my F30 328i. I didn't see anything about tire rotation in the owners' guide. In my pre-BMW days, I used to change the oil and rotate tires every 3k miles religiously.

Other than my new car break in oil change at about 1500 miles, I'm going to use the recommended BMW maintenance schedule.

BUT, none of the BMW material has any guidance on tire rotation. I'm trying to be a good owner and stay on top of my maintenance. I called my CA, and he said 'change it when you see abnormal wear'

Any thoughts?
That's 15,000 miles, not 1,500!

Are the front/read wheels the same, or are they staggered? If the are staggered, then I don't think you don't want to rotate them. I don't remember seeing that info is in the manual either.

Last edited by FrogmanF30; 11-02-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
On page 185 of the user's manual it says don't rotate tires front to rear or vice versa.
If you have staggared tires, you can't do that anyway. If you can't rotate them f/r, there is no sense in shifting right/left, either.

BMW has not recommended tire rotation for decades (at least since my '91 525i.)

(User's manual downloaded from bmwusa.com.)

And if it's not clear from Frogman's post, BMW doesn't do break-in oil changes (other than on M cars.)
Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
As long as you have a square wheel/tire set up and do not have directional tires you can rotate the tires with no problems. Just be sure to do it faithfully, as you said you do. The fact that BMW does not recommend tire rotation does not need to dissuade you at all from doing it.

Most of us more fanatical Bimmerfesters would recommend doing oil & filter changes at 7,500 mile intervals. If you want to go longer between oil changes it is still a good idea to do filter changes every 7,500 miles and, since the filter is right there on top, it is easy to do.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-02-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
On page 185 of the user's manual it says don't rotate tires front to rear or vice versa.
If you have staggared tires, you can't do that anyway. If you can't rotate them f/r, there is no sense in shifting right/left, either.

BMW has not recommended tire rotation for decades (at least since my '91 525i.)

(User's manual downloaded from bmwusa.com.)

And if it's not clear from Frogman's post, BMW doesn't do break-in oil changes (other than on M cars.)
I followed BMW's advice on my non-staggard wheels, but my buddy has his Z3 tires rotated at Costco to his heart's content. Same with my dad and his E46 3er Wagon.

I think BMW doesn't recommend because they design the suspension to wear the tires a certain way for better handling.