Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
The new BMW's have jumped the shark. The new 4 cyl. turbo is a good engine, but it has a PLASTIC oil pan. I wonder if it has to be changed at 60K like our cooling systems?
I doubt any F30 buyers plan to keep it past the 36th month of their lease.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Not worth it. An older BMW is still a BMW and still better than most cars from other manufacturers.

Member No. 470379
Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I doubt any F30 buyers plan to keep it past the 36th month of their lease.
Yep.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:47 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Best thing to do is get an F30 m-sport, I4 or I6 turbo w/o the DH and opt for the manual. Definitely a must with the I4. Then do these upgrades, get rid of the run flats with real tires like the Michelin PSS. Swap out the suspension with Koni yellows, Hotchkis sways, H&R sport springs (1/2 lower). If you have the I4, swap the 4 pot front calipers into it from the I6 model. This should get you back to the E46 ZHP driving experience.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
Its just an oil container. You have a plastic intake manifold, does it need replacing? Not sure I understand the concern here. The OP has no function except to hold oil, like your manifold, it just diverts air, not even close to being related to the cooling system issues on our cars.

Last edited by QAfred; 11-03-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Best thing to do is get an F30 m-sport, I4 or I6 turbo w/o the DH and opt for the manual. Definitely a must with the I4. Then do these upgrades, get rid of the run flats with real tires like the Michelin PSS. Swap out the suspension with Koni yellows, Hotchkis sways, H&R sport springs (1/2 lower). If you have the I4, swap the 4 pot front calipers into it from the I6 model. This should get you back to the E46 ZHP driving experience.
What is the DH? I would def get the I6 turbo 335, so the brakes aren't an issue right??.

Wondering what the difference is between the suspension on the sport build and on the M build. Can you explain?

Last edited by r0gue; 11-03-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0gue View Post
What is the DH? I would def get the I6 turbo 335, so the brakes aren't an issue right??.

Wondering what the difference is between the suspension on the sport build and on the M build. Can you explain?
You really need to spend time in the F30 forum.

Dynamic Handling package - dynamically adjusting suspension system. It is available in all lines of the F30, including the no-line model. The sport suspension on the Sport and M Sport is the same. It is said the DHP suspension is slightly firmer in sport mode than the standard sport suspension.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-04-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:39 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post

Dynamic Handling package - dynamically adjusting suspension system. It is available in all lines of the F30, including the no-line model. The sport suspension on the Sport and M Sport is the same. It is said the DHP suspension is slightly firmer is sport mode than the standard sport suspension.
+1, DH also has the option to add the active variable steering. When I test drove the 328i sport, then the 335i sport with the DH they weren't much different as long as you set both the same way- Sport+ and DH to sport. IMHO, I can out drive the DH active suspension algorithm and feel a 1/2 second delay. We have lots of threads about this in the F30 forum.

Sport vs M Sport is pretty much the same except for the cosmetic upgrades and better brake pads for the m sport.

Yes, the 335i has the 4 pot brakes up front.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
You're right of course. I did spend a fair amount of time on the F30 ultimate info thread. But I need to go wider there. So from checking the BMWUSA site, it looks like DH eliminates the BMW sport/M-Sport suspensions. So def I leave that off.

As I have a basic E46 with no performance package (16" wheels), I'm guessing that I would be less disappointed with an F30 than someone who did have ZHP.

I'll be off to the F30 forum. But one last questions. With an 05 E46 with only 64,000 miles on it and a manual tranny, is this forum a good place to move it when I'm ready or would its market be limited since it doesn't have ZHP?

Thanks to All who answered. I do really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to becoming an active member here. Not sure what ever happened to my old account, but I used to spend some time here a loooong time back when I had my E28.

Cheers!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
+1, DH also has the option to add the active variable steering. When I test drove the 328i sport, then the 335i sport with the DH they weren't much different as long as you set both the same way- Sport+ and DH to sport. IMHO, I can out drive the DH active suspension algorithm and feel a 1/2 second delay. We have lots of threads about this in the F30 forum.

Sport vs M Sport is pretty much the same except for the cosmetic upgrades and better brake pads for the m sport.

Yes, the 335i has the 4 pot brakes up front.
So you're saying the advantage of DH is when it's on the soft settings, not the sport setting?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
So you're saying the advantage of DH is when it's on the soft settings, not the sport setting?
Nope, it's when the driver can't exceed it's compensation abilities.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAfred View Post
Its just an oil container. You have a plastic intake manifold, does it need replacing? Not sure I understand the concern here. The OP has no function except to hold oil, like your manifold, it just diverts air, not even close to being related to the cooling system issues on our cars.
If a stone hits the pan at 90. do you think it wil hold up as well as metal? I would say that the engine holding oil is as critical, if not more so than the cooling system holding pressure. Hopefully we can agree that failure of either system, and the average driver ignoring it, will most probably cause major engine damage. I believe the plastic pan is only on the 4 cyl. N20, and not the N55.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
F30's a nice car - definitely more on the luxury side than the E46 - almost a baby 5-series so to speak. I would seriously consider one as a DD to complement the M3

Quote:
If a stone hits the pan at 90. do you think it wil hold up as well as metal? I would say that the engine holding oil is as critical, if not more so than the cooling system holding pressure. Hopefully we can agree that failure of either system, and the average driver ignoring it, will most probably cause major engine damage. I believe the plastic pan is only on the 4 cyl. N20, and not the N55.
I don't know - it's not like any of the underbody paneling on my E46s were ever damaged in the slightest. A rock would still have to get through those to hit the oil pan - so I wouldn't be particularly concerned

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 11-04-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbimmer View Post
if a stone hits the pan at 90. Do you think it wil hold up as well as metal? I would say that the engine holding oil is as critical, if not more so than the cooling system holding pressure. Hopefully we can agree that failure of either system, and the average driver ignoring it, will most probably cause major engine damage. I believe the plastic pan is only on the 4 cyl. N20, and not the n55.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post

i don't know - it's not like any of the underbody paneling on my e46s were ever damaged in the slightest. a rock would still have to get through those to hit the oil pan - so i wouldn't be particularly concerned
+1

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-04-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
Quote:
Pretty rare for a rock to get through the splash shield and reinforcement plate. I have read of one example on this forum of OP damage and it looked more like a tool mark to me and not a rock. Anyhow, you said maintenance- rock damage- that would be a repair, and not maintenance, which could happen to anything.