Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:10 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
Car is not starting? Fuel and spark present.

Hey guys, first off thanks for the help with my clutch issue. Clutch is operational now.

I now have an issue. Car wont start. It cranks but does not start. I bought this engine from a website fyi. Here is what I have done.

-changed spark plugs
-changed cap and rotor
-changed plug wires
-disconnected fuel line to rail, There is fuel being supplied.
-pulled out every plug and grounded it while a friend cranked the car. All plugs have spark.
-verified mechanical timing based on the crank pulley mark to the timing cover post against the camshaft flange mark on the dizzy oil tube.
-firing order on cap is correct as per this diagram:

The car has been sitting for at least a year and a half. At that time it was running but had a cracked head so I pulled that engine and put in this used one. I assumed the new (used) engine has compression so I did not test that yet although maybe I will anyway.

After I try to start the engine i pull the plugs and they do have gas on them so I know fuel is reaching the cylinders. However Maybe the spark is coming at the incorrect times? I am using my old dizzy from the broken engine and i simply slid it into place and bolted it down. Hooked up the plug wires, impluse generator and plug wires.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am at a loss here guys.
Ads by Google
Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Retime the dizzy. If you have fuel and spark, it will start, even with low compression.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:35 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Ok thats what I was trying to look into. Something about pointin the rotor at a mark on the distributor? Here is what I did:

- lined up all marks regarding mechanical timing. Timing cover to crank and camshaft to oil tube.

Then I loosened the dizzy clamp and rotated the dizzy until that mark on the dizzy housing faced about 1 o'clock (if standing on the passenger side of the car) and then i pulled the dizzy out of the head and spun the rotor around so it would line up with the mark when i slid it back down into the head.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Maybe I am going about this the entirely wrong way. Any insight would be appreciated. I am lost at this point. I will note that under the dust shield (inside the dizzy) there are 4 spoke looking things. I believe there are two sets one that is permantly fixed and the other that moves in correlation with the rotor. Well the fixed spokes have these little wires attached to them that wrap around some yellow looking circular piece. One of the wires is broken off and the other is attached. Is this wrong?

I had this dizzy on the other broken engine and it was working fine (so I think) because the other engine would hesitate upon accelerating even though it idled just fine.

Any information on retiming the dizzy would help me out. Thanks again for your guys time.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
i would get a new cap. probably even a rotor too since youre already in there and i dont like changing one and not the other but it does sound like the timing is off. you can be 180 off. happened to me and my buddy when when built his jeep motor. changed the wires so they came out 180 off from initial set point.

Last edited by downhiller; 11-03-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:45 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Well the cap and rotor are new. I just am unsure of how to correctly set the dizzy.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Well it runs now. Re set the dizzy and she fired right up.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:45 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?