Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Teamchil Teamchil is offline
Registered User
Location: Baton Rouge
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Exclamation 2012 F30 Radio Wiring

Hi, I have a 2012 328i and I have changde out all the door speakers cause the Ultimate Driving Machine does not have a good sound system

I'm hoping to find out which wires coming off the back of the basic radio unit are to which door speakers. I have to change out the speakers and want to add a amp. Would like to tap back into the factory speaker wiring so I dont have to rerun wire through the doors.

So if anyone can help me find the wire colors that would be great!

Last edited by Teamchil; 11-03-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-03-2012, 06:51 PM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,305
Mein Auto: 335d
If the F30 is anything like the E46 & E9x, good luck.

There has not enough room in the dash for an amp: BMW puts them in the trunk, and it's an entirely different wiring system for that. I'm not even sure that each speaker has a different color. There is probably not a pre-amp out on the head, either, since BMW uses a fiber-optic system for the separate amps in the trunk.

And besides all that, the 3" door speaker hasn't really been the problem; it's been the under-seat woofers.

I would re-think what you're upgrading before you begin. This is a very complicated system.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Teamchil Teamchil is offline
Registered User
Location: Baton Rouge
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Floydarogers, Thanks but I'm more that capable of tackling this, especially since I have already replaced all the door speakers and have removed the head unit to look at what wires are already there. There is not fiber optic in my car for the stereo and you are right there is no room for a amp in the dash but no one said anything about putting one in there. The speakers are 4" and the factory speaker where some of the worse Ive heard for a factory system which really surprised me. Do everything was way easier than I thought it would be too, doors pop right off and the radio is 4 screws and out.

photo 1
Factory speaker on the left
photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5

But if anyone else and help me with my wiring color question that would be great.

Last edited by Teamchil; 11-03-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-04-2012, 04:30 AM
KLC KLC is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 532
Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Use a multimeter to figure out which wires go where. That will take 10 minutes.
__________________
ED - 5/13/2013
PCD - 7/17/2013


2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,520
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamchil View Post
Hi, I have a 2012 328i and I have changde out all the door speakers cause the Ultimate Driving Machine does not have a good sound system

I'm hoping to find out which wires coming off the back of the basic radio unit are to which door speakers. I have to change out the speakers and want to add a amp. Would like to tap back into the factory speaker wiring so I dont have to rerun wire through the doors.

So if anyone can help me find the wire colors that would be great!
Your speakers are connected to an either 7ch-(HiFi, analog) or 9-ch (Top HiFi, digital) OEM amp in the trunk. Your iDrive unit is connected to the OEM amp either by copper (HiFi) or fiber optics (Top HiFi) cables. There are no speakers connected directly to the iDrive unit in the USA.

Please search as this has been discussed many times before.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-04-2012, 04:45 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,520
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
Use a multimeter to figure out which wires go where. That will take 10 minutes.
Considering that removing the iDrive unit can take some 15 minutes (if required at all), removing the left trunk liner another 10 minutes, each door panel is another 10 minutes each, the center speaker trim some 5 minutes and then probing each wire -with a very long probe- about 2-minutes each, I just cannot see how this is a 10 minute job...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:34 PM
jlukja jlukja is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Beach, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 574
Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamchil View Post
Floydarogers, Thanks but I'm more that capable of tackling this, especially since I have already replaced all the door speakers and have removed the head unit to look at what wires are already there. There is not fiber optic in my car for the stereo and you are right there is no room for a amp in the dash but no one said anything about putting one in there. The speakers are 4" and the factory speaker where some of the worse Ive heard for a factory system which really surprised me. Do everything was way easier than I thought it would be too, doors pop right off and the radio is 4 screws and out.

photo 1
Factory speaker on the left
photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5

But if anyone else and help me with my wiring color question that would be great.
Is your replacement door speaker able to clear the glass when the window rolls down?
__________________
MY2013 328i, N26 / 300 / 4CG / KCDF / 2DW / 205 / ZDH / 302 / 3DZ / 403 / 494
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2013, 04:24 AM
F30 SA F30 SA is offline
Registered User
Location: South Africa
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: F30 320i
Hi. I cant quite recall the exact colours for each door.
But the way i worked it out was by removing door sills and lifting up the carpet. The speaker wires can be seen entwined . Suggest connecting from amp at these locations so head unit removal would be avoided toi. Easier infront as there is a tyco connector. Remember tho that front doors and underseats run off front channel and are full range. Rear doors tho are limited in that they dont go low enough for.bass.

Hope this helps.
__________________
Everyday



Weekend madness

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
328i, electric, f30, nav, radio, stereo audio wirint, stereo wiring, wiring


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms