Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive 28i
TPMS Question for Non Run Flat Tires

I've placed a down payment on an sDrive 28i and the car is slowly making its way to California and should arrive on the 15th of this month.

I had a question regarding the Tire Pressure monitoring system. If I were to use a different set of tires once the run flats lose their tread will the TPMS still function or do I have to replace them with new run flats (which could get costly in the long run).

Run flats are a great concept but with the amount of city/freeway driving here in Los Angeles I do it won't make much sense for me to spend $500 for a tire if I can find an all weather alternative that could be more cost effective in the long run.
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X3, '13 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325es1988 View Post
I've placed a down payment on an sDrive 28i and the car is slowly making its way to California and should arrive on the 15th of this month.

I had a question regarding the Tire Pressure monitoring system. If I were to use a different set of tires once the run flats lose their tread will the TPMS still function or do I have to replace them with new run flats (which could get costly in the long run).

Run flats are a great concept but with the amount of city/freeway driving here in Los Angeles I do it won't make much sense for me to spend $500 for a tire if I can find an all weather alternative that could be more cost effective in the long run.
TPMS is implemented by a sensor/transmitter attached to the valve stem of the wheel. It is independent of the type of tire used.

Lou
Old 11-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
How about the programmed psi ratings. If you use a different sized wheel isn't it possible the recommended pressure ratings would be different causing tpms to be off?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X3, '13 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceyted View Post
How about the programmed psi ratings. If you use a different sized wheel isn't it possible the recommended pressure ratings would be different causing tpms to be off?
From the X1 Manual page 90:

"Functional requirements

The system must have been reset while the inflation
pressure was correct; otherwise, reliable
signaling of a flat tire is not ensured.
Always use wheels with TPM electronics to ensure
that the system will operate properly.
Reset the system after each correction of the
tire inflation pressure and after every tire or
wheel change."

Resetting the TPMS calibrates it for the pressure it will monitor.

Lou
Old 11-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325es1988 View Post
Sounds like someone else with an X1 on the Topeka? Did you get a package with 18" wheels? I went for Sdrive28i with 17s. I did some research on the 17" RFTs, and spoke to my trusted local tire shop guy, and the prices were more around $225, which is pretty much in line with, even less than, what I spent on 18" Michelins for my IS250.

I remember the last time I had to change a flat, which was 8 years ago or so, an Infiniti I35. Actually, whoever had tightened the bolts had done so with such force I couldn't get the tire off. Embarrassed, I had to call AAA, and I and the AAA guy together had to both put our shoulders into it to get the bolts off. This was on the shoulder of the ramp from the 110 south to the 405 north. If anyone in LA knows that transition ramp, it is a very much "not fun" place to have to pull onto the shoulder and change a tire.

But I will worry a bit about the RFTs, at least for a while. Can't help but notice a nasty new pothole right in the lane leading to my work parking garage...you never know when you're gonna come across one.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Sounds like someone else with an X1 on the Topeka? Did you get a package with 18" wheels? I went for Sdrive28i with 17s. I did some research on the 17" RFTs, and spoke to my trusted local tire shop guy, and the prices were more around $225, which is pretty much in line with, even less than, what I spent on 18" Michelins for my IS250.

I remember the last time I had to change a flat, which was 8 years ago or so, an Infiniti I35. Actually, whoever had tightened the bolts had done so with such force I couldn't get the tire off. Embarrassed, I had to call AAA, and I and the AAA guy together had to both put our shoulders into it to get the bolts off. This was on the shoulder of the ramp from the 110 south to the 405 north. If anyone in LA knows that transition ramp, it is a very much "not fun" place to have to pull onto the shoulder and change a tire.
Indeed its on the Topeka!

I'm in for the Sdrive28i with Tech and Driver's Assistance Package. I didn't order to my exact specs and this one just happened to be in transition and my CA was able to secure it.

It's coming with the 18" Double Spokes, moonroof, satin rails, and power seats.

That onramp is nasty. My wife used to work on the west side and I hated having to pick her up coming in from the Valley. Hopefully the 405 expansion/Muholland Bridge construction ends soon. Its a tough drive getting to the airport.