Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
I read this from another post:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6668662
In #183, it says ".... the headlamp supports changing the bulb's position with respect to the focal point and projector lens within the headlamp assembly. This has the effect of altering the beam shape as it illuminates the road ahead .... Unfortunately this variable beam business is not DOT approved, so not for us in the U.S.A. and hence BMW applies 8S4 (not S84) Variable Light Decoding in order to inhibit this functionality. I would love to have my dealer undo that but I'm sure they won't. In fact BMW's dealer car software programming system probably won't let it happen. "

From youtube videos on adaptive light, it does look like UK folks have this beam pattern reshaping function in their lighting package, but not 100% sure.

Also, the high beam assistant(which I don't have) in UK allows independent on/off of each high beam, and with oncoming traffic, one side is dipped, while the other side can still be in high beam but pointed away from oncoming traffic. With no oncoming traffic, the two high beams can converge and illuminate further(some form of beam pattern reshaping). Not sure if US spec high beam assist is the same or not.

For me, my left turn does not turn the lights left(left corner light does come on), only if it is really dark would the light swivels left, and only for 3-5 degrees(right swivel always works, with 10-15 degrees). It would be great if someone can confirm if this is normal or not, I wonder if there is coding issue or if the left swivel motor is stuck or not. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:06 PM

more pros:
17. N26 PZEV warranty statement says "any emission related part" is covered by DEFECT WARRANTY for 15yr/150k(for vehicle sold and registered in CA). So I guess camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, O2 sensor, vehicle speed sensor(front and rear wheel), DOR temperature sensor(the thermostat), MAF sensor, coolant hoses to DOR radiator(etc, etc, etc) are covered after 4yr/50k new car warranty. Cool! Note sure if dealer service people will oblige or not, the E9* PZEV folks should be our guides.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
So you are listing as a "con" something that no BMW (or car from any other manufacturer) sold in the US can do? Gotcha.

When I weigh the pros/cons of a vehicle I generally compare to other cars sold in this country, not vehicles with completely different specs that are sold in other markets.... or unicorns.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 11-13-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: e90 m3
Mine moves side to side. From the reading the post you referred to its when the beams point at different spots of the road at different speeds. That I dont have - wonder if this can be coded in?

But your adaptive lights should swivel side to side for sure.

BPM stage2 + servo tune - POS exhaust - catless - driver mod (ongoing)
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM

Thxs pkim, I will ask dealer to fix left swivel in next visit. The adaptive light feature description across different market segments seem identical, however the US spec appears to be different from others(no mentioning of 8S4 in any US brochure, and CAs have no clues). Buyers beware.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM

On the AT near-stall(with rattle from dash) at low speed and low rpm issue(e.g. cold start in morning), the 91 premium does not completely solve it. For me the issue is with Comfort and Eco, Sport and DS are OK. If feels like the AT is one gear too high at times. Will ask dealer to check next time.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
What does the euro spec adaptive lights have that we dont? They always get the good ****. Ha
My understanding of the EU vs. US differences is that the US SAE spec stupidly REQUIRES more "uplight" (more glare) to illuminate overhead signs. ever notice how Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus headlights are very glaring? They went for the high end of the "uplight" range, while the EU manufacturers went for the lowest possible.

There may be other differences.