Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5;2002 BMW 745i
Crankcase Vent Valve TSB

I'm having my engine rebuilt and my mechanic found that the Y-shaped corrugated plastic crankcase vent hoses connecting the two valve covers and the intake manifold was brittle cracked. Fortunately, BMW revised the hoses due to moisture freezing up in the tubes in colder climates (like Michigan here). The updated hoses are larger and have heat shielding. Unfortunately, per the TSB (http://www.xoutpost.com/attachments/...b-11-01-07.pdf) released the instructions say you have to replace one of the valve covers which is pretty expensive considering how much money I've spent already. The new valve cover is without the pressure regulating valve because it has now moved over to be built into the new hose. I did some research, and it seems people are replacing the hoses without the valve cover: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-402669.html (search crankcase or hoses). It seems to me that this would cause problems with the pressure not being enough because now there is an extra pressure regulating valve in the system? I'm hoping I can just update the hoses so it doesn't happen again. If not, I will try to repair the hose. I don't know what to use because it's corrugated and gets super hot near the engine. Really don't want it failing again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	331368  

Last edited by JimmyW; 07-02-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added Picture
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2012, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
I hope someone could verify cause i had the ccv replaced last year and my sound i was hearing didnt go away and tech did say there was a revised valve cover but wanted 800 i think. Can someone confirm if you get new hoses you need new cover

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Bimmer App
Old 07-02-2012, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Hi, Mine had the same issue, both diaphragms in the CCV's had split and the hoses cracked in two places, this was causing excessive oil consumption and blue smoke at take off if left idling.

I replaced the CCV valves and repaired the hoses using adhesive lined heatshrink, it works ok but probably not the best material to use as it goes soft when it gets hot! but its been going now for 10 months or so.

I do still have the occasional blue smoke when left idling but im not convinced its just the infamous stem seals!, every time I check the hoses going to the inlet manifold they are full of oil. I think the actual oil separator is 'built into' the valve cover and is possibly clogged and causing more oil vapour than intended to pass into the hoses and when accelerating it getting sucked into the inlet manifold.

Stuart
Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 AM

Mein Auto: E65 735i, Ducati1199
That hose has been superseded by two seperate hoses which have a soft spongy coating. I replace mine a couple of years ago due to the old brittle one splitting. It wasn't an expensive part and easy to DIY. I didn't have to replace the valve covers, the hoses fitted straight onto existing ports.

Last edited by D4hwt; 07-03-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:16 AM

Re: D4hwt

I'll take your word for it, but maybe you can help explain something that's got me scratching my head. The previous design was one hose from each of the two cylinder covers combining in a Y joint into the one opening at the bottom going to the intake manifold. If the new insulated design has two separated pipes, how do they share the one opening into the intake manifold??
Old 07-30-2012, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
There are two fittings for the pipes, the original design used both too, they are above and below the throttle body.

Stuart
Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 AM

Okay, that makes sense now. I am going to go ahead and replace the pipes. Thanks everyone for your help!

P.S. If anyone needs to repair their hoses, I recommend the orange putty-like stuff that sticks but is still flexible. (not sure what it's called, my mechanic put it on there), or something called Seal-All (very viscous clear bubbly fluid, it will spread around immediately to fill in the cracks), and finally wrapping it with gorilla tape as a secondary precaution (will shape itself and adhere again to the cracks). The parts store guy recommended a muffler tape kit but when I opened it up I found the tape is a permeable cloth that won't work for this purpose.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
So there is no need to replace the cylinder cover like the dealer was telling me?

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Bimmer App
Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 AM

Not sure, maybe someone that has done the replacement with no valve cover change can chime in. I will certainly pay attention when I do mine and let you know. With the new design parts the valve is now moved from the cover to the hose itself so if you don't change the cover there are two valves in the system now. I don't think it'll affect engine performance but if the system is designed without enough pressure to open both valves it MAY cause clogging...
Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745I
where did you purchase the hoses? how much did they cost? You mentioned 2 separate hoses, do they connect to each other? Mine is exactly like the picture above that Jimmy W provided. Thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 530D e39 1998
Shouldn't cause clogging with multiple valves because they will be open by default and the induction suction pulls them shut to regulate pressure. If BMW have changed to one valve only, it will still be set to regulate to the same pressure so I wouldn't worry.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Bimmer App