Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 AM
eafernandez004 eafernandez004 is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5
X5 Versus Others In Class

Hey all,

I currently purchased a 2009 BMW X5 V-6, non-diesel SUV and I am in a lurch.

Although I bought the extended warranty (only drivetrain), I am worried about its long-term reliability. As I want to keep this car until it dies, or for at least 5 or 6 more years, I was wondering if it could realistically last that long without having immense upkeep costs. As I have been trolling on these forums and have found lackluster reviews for the SUV's reliability, especially its electronics, I was wondering if I could get some expert opinions as to what I should do.

I am looking to be stylish, but I do not want to break the bank with upkeep costs.

1. Keep the X5 and its warranty (hell it drives great and I like the look)
2. Trade it in, straight-up (i.e. no additional cost) for another car. I was looking at a Tahoe, XC90, H3, newer 3-series, or a C-Class Mercedes.

Any help would be appreciated, and hello to all!
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:39 AM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,408
Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
We are on our 3rd E70. Reliability has been fine, and maintenance costs have been reasonable. Much better in both respects than our prior XC90, and our 4 previous Mercedes.

There are plenty of other issues to worry about. Sandy's aftermath, Global warming, China, Greece, the resurgence of the Taliban, a nuclear-armed Iran, the current administration's gross fiscal irresponsibility, the NHL lockout, the Jets refusal to play Tebow, Lance Armstrong's fall from Grace, Mylie Cyrus hair style, the cost of Taylor Swift Concert tickets - all of these are more troubling than X5 reliability.

If you were really concerned, why buy a 4 model year old car in the first place? I'm sure you could have gotten a brand new Hyundai or KIA, complete with warranty, for the same coin.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
__________________


Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:41 AM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,408
Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
PS Of all the things you could worry about, I would put the fact that your X5 has a V6 at the very top of the list.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
__________________


Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:13 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,357
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Wow.

Well, first, reading forums is a pretty stupid way to understand relative risks. Kind of like reading democratic (or republican) blogs to make a prediction on the election. Seriously. It isn't data.

Second, what can you afford? Long term. Will you decide on what car to own based on the risk of a few $k a year? Risk, not certainty. can't afford it; it will eat at you; or you just hate the idea of maybe having to spend $$$, pick a car that you've convinced yoursel will give you better luck.

Because remember, you are picking ONE sample out off many cars built and hoping YOURS will be lucky. Toyota, MB, Volvo, or BMW...is your example going to be lucky or unlucky?

It's as simple as that.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 AM
ductman's Avatar
ductman ductman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Eastern Pa
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 776
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quackberry. I am truly disappointed, I assumed you knew everything. V6 ???

Sent from my MB865 using Bimmer App
__________________

Last edited by ductman; 11-04-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:56 AM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,408
Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by eafernandez004 View Post
Hey all,

I currently purchased a 2009 BMW X5 V-6, non-diesel SUV and I am in a lurch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
Quackberry. I am truly disappointed, I assumed you knew everything. V6 ???

Sent from my MB865 using Bimmer App
Dude, reread the OP's post. Oh ye of little faith!
__________________


Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-2012, 02:49 PM
eafernandez004 eafernandez004 is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5
Thanks for all the responses.

I know that I should have avoided a used car if I wanted the best reliability, but I received this car on such a good deal that I could not pass it up. Regardless, I understand your point.

I would like to avoid spending money on the car during the year unless it is normal maintenance (i.e. oil changes, replacing components due to wear and tear, etc.).

The main reason why I put up those comparables is because those are the ones that I could theoretically sell the X5 for, and buy as an alternate.

Regardless, thank you for all your responses.

Best Regards
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-04-2012, 05:56 PM
ndabunka's Avatar
ndabunka ndabunka is offline
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,665
Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by eafernandez004 View Post
The main reason why I put up those comparables is because those are the ones that I could theoretically sell the X5 for, and buy as an alternate.
Theory and reality rarely meet and when they do, you seldom get what you think you will. Almost NO dealer is EVER going to trade you "straight up". I once had a $40K car (wholesale) to trade in on a $35K (retail) car. Dealer said "sure, we will give you $5K cash out of the deal" but when the time came they tried to find ways out of it. I sold the car to an individual for $42K two days later and paid cash for the Acura.
__________________


'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 PM
eafernandez004 eafernandez004 is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5
Very true. I originally thought that I could go through the dealer to get a good deal on another car, but I quickly realized that it will be up to me to sell it to another individual.

That being said, if I am successful in the sale I could get enough money to cover most of the comparables (I do believe the C-Class would require some more out-of-pocket cash).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,357
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
It is amazing how FEAR drives people... The OP has determined, by reading posts, that HIS example is surely a ticking time bomb...and will therefore DEFINITELY spend $5000-100000 to avoid the RISK of future expenses...and blithely assumes that the one C class he buys off a used car lot will surely cost less.

Amazing
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-04-2012, 06:58 PM
x5x5 x5x5 is offline
Registered User
Location: TX
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post

I'm sure you could have gotten a brand new Hyundai or KIA, complete with warranty, for the same coin.
That;s a double jaw-dropper response.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 PM
eafernandez004 eafernandez004 is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5
To say that my fear about the X5's reliability is merely predicated upon other forum posts is untrue. I have read multiple consumer reports, reviews, etc. (granted I didn't place this in my original post), and all have echoed my same cautionary atitude.

To say that that my worries are baseless, or somehow grounded in erroneous facts is an unfair assessment.

Fear and caution are not synonymous.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:40 PM
x5x5 x5x5 is offline
Registered User
Location: TX
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eafernandez004 View Post
To say that my fear about the X5's reliability is merely predicated upon other forum posts is untrue. I have read multiple consumer reports, reviews, etc. (granted I didn't place this in my original post), and all have echoed my same cautionary atitude.

To say that that my worries are baseless, or somehow grounded in erroneous facts is an unfair assessment.

Fear and caution are not synonymous.
I had a BMW CPO for 6 years and also got the extended warranty (100K)...I was worried that after 100K I'd be in trouble, but that was unfounded..It actually worked out well. But the extended warranty was worth it for brakes and rotors.

You never mentioned how many miles on the CPO?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:41 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,357
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eafernandez004 View Post
To say that my fear about the X5's reliability is merely predicated upon other forum posts is untrue. I have read multiple consumer reports, reviews, etc. (granted I didn't place this in my original post), and all have echoed my same cautionary atitude.

To say that that my worries are baseless, or somehow grounded in erroneous facts is an unfair assessment.

Fear and caution are not synonymous.
But on what basis have you determined that your one car will demonsrate a specific failure profile (lets assume the median, which is described by all these sources you cite) and how the new car (the so called 'more reliable one') will also demonstrate the mean failure profile????

For the sake of this argument, I dont dispute the underlying 'facts'...that the X5 will- as a class- have lower reliability. I dispute the belief that one should buy a car, pay tax on it, then get scared of future repair costs, then sell it, and buy another car with marginally lower MEAN repair history and again pay tax on the purchase. And hope that indeed you sold a bad one and bought a good one!

Put the $5000 in the bank and pay for any repairs. Odds are you will be ahead.

or spend the $5k, get another car and there is a chance that will have a major failure... a much lower chance, but still a chance.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,692
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
People get really pissed when I say this, but never buy a BMW for reliability. I choose my personal cars based on the following parameters, in this order:

1. Price
1. Fun to drive
2. Safe
3. Fuel efficient
4. Reliable

As you can see, I never let reliability get in the way of enjoying my time behind the wheel or keeping my family safe.

- Mike

P.S. For the record, I would never own a European vehicle out of warranty.
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 AM
Vex500 Vex500 is offline
Registered User
Location: Melbourne Australia
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: E70 x5 3.0sd
Couldn't agree more.......!! The driving enjoyment of a Beemer is a no brainier, have you driven a Camry lately!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-05-2012, 07:23 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,526
Mein Auto: '06 X3
Or a brand new '13 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 10 year - 100K warranty! Mike, nice review of the verano. Glad to see the domestics are starting to put out some good stuff again. Had to laugh at one of the comments about Buick finally putting out a "performance" car! Back in the day Buick had some very quick stuff, evenway back in the '30s with their Century Coupe and twin carb straight 8, up through the 50's with the Century "nail head" V8 (used by the Chippies to nail speeders) and the super Grand Sport and GSX's. They weren't always "the doctor's car".

Last edited by UncleJ; 11-05-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Marwan Marwan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
OP, the opinions you've received so far are spot on. At the risk of sounding repetitive, here are some facts for you, again:

1. You do NOT know that your car will be unreliable. For every X5 with issues there are many more out there with none whatsoever.
2. You do NOT know that any of the cars you mentioned as potential replacement will be reliable
3. While other cars might have a better reliability record, they might not score as well as the X5 on other important factors like safety, handling etc.

I suggest you enjoy your X5 and stop worrying about potential issues it might or might not have. Besides, you do have the extended warranty, and life is too short!
__________________
Retired:
2006 330i
2010 X5 35d
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 AM
boostedX5SAV boostedX5SAV is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York City
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 265
Mein Auto: 2012 X5
You should have researched more before putting your money down.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,692
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Or a brand new '13 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 10 year - 100K warranty! Mike, nice review of the verano. Glad to see the domestics are starting to put out some good stuff again. Had to laugh at one of the comments about Buick finally putting out a "performance" car! Back in the day Buick had some very quick stuff, evenway back in the '30s with their Century Coupe and twin carb straight 8, up through the 50's with the Century "nail head" V8 (used by the Chippies to nail speeders) and the super Grand Sport and GSX's. They weren't always "the doctor's car".
Very true. Buick has some decent cars in the pipeline. Still none that I would personally put in my driveway... but I would recommend them!

- Mike
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 PM
dalekressin's Avatar
dalekressin dalekressin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,007
Mein Auto: 2010 M3
I'm with Mike.
Reliability is not priority #1.
Efficiency is not number 1 or #2
Enjoyment, safety and Price are the largest factors for me (in prioritized order)
__________________
94 530i sold (That was difficult for me)
01 530i >144,500+ miles SOLD
06 330XI winter's especially fun drive (SOLD)
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,113
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
PS Of all the things you could worry about, I would put the fact that your X5 has a V6 at the very top of the list.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Cdnrockies Cdnrockies is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alberta
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 512
Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
People get really pissed when I say this, but never buy a BMW for reliability.

- Mike

P.S. For the record, I would never own a European vehicle out of warranty.
Why would they get pissed off? The only ones in denial are the fanbois and those that haven't done their homework.

We (should) all know what we're getting into when we spend this kind of cash on these cars.

I fully agree with you on the warranty as well.
__________________


'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 PM
ChrisF01's Avatar
ChrisF01 ChrisF01 is offline
Gib mir Feurschutz!
Location: SoCal (West LA & IE), Detuschland
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,081
Mein Auto: 2013 750i
I've had issues with my BMW, thats put me in a 3 and X5 loaners, but the car never left me stranded on the side of the road.

I think thats indicative of modern cars, these German luxury cars might not be as "reliable" as say a Toyota or a Honda, but they have much much more tech in them. If something breaks, its probably not going to leave you stuck.
__________________

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Mahler12x Mahler12x is offline
Registered User
Location: Elko, NV
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: Ford Taurus... For Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I'm sure you could have gotten a brand new Hyundai or KIA, complete with warranty, for the same coin
This is sort of a perplexing statement to me because the whole reason my wife and I have been considering a used X5 is due to the fact that they're comparably priced, and in many cases, CHEAPER than say a used Pilot with similar miles.

It's taken me time to figure out exactly WHY used BMW's are so, well, cheap when you consider what they go for new and for the sheer beauty of the cars, and that is that it seems to be considerably more expensive to maintain a 2007 X5 than a 2007 CRV, Pilot, etc. Just HOW much more, I'm not sure, but it's the only reason I can see for the diminished resale value.

Am I right here? My wife and I just moved to NE Nevada where it snows pretty hard and we're looking to get a used AWD. Originally looking at CRV's and Pilots, I was shocked to see that a STUNNINGLY beautiful '06 X5 with only 70,000 miles goes for only about $18,500. An '06 Pilot EX-L with about the same milage goes for $19,000+

With that sort of comparison, I'd take the X5 every damn time, but there's a CATCH, right? Someone knock some sense into me, please!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
reliability, trade-in, x5


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms