Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 01-08-2014, 03:16 AM

Mein Auto: 740i
Obd2

Can anyone let me know if this unit will work on my 740 I have a round ecu connector under the HUD is there another one . I have downloaded a program called torques for Bluetooth
Ads by Google
Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750iL
The 20pin accesses all modules. The cabin OBD is only useful for on the road live data testing being for engine and gearbox modules only. If this is the Android app for an Elm scanner, you may be disappointed. Thing is there are generic OBD fault codes used by all manufacturers, but BMW have a lot of their own codes, which you need programs like INPA, PA soft, Carsoft, DIS to read
Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 AM

Hi chrisn7 thanks for info isaw this on YouTube do you think I should go for the carsoft one I only want to reset fault code I have one for my vauxhall that plugs into my laptop
Old 01-08-2014, 08:07 AM

What model scanner would iced for resetting faults like airbag light with out burning a hole in my pocket ????
Old 01-08-2014, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 750iL
Well Carsoft is good if you are a new to diagnostics, since this program is really only good for reading modules,so is relatively safe for beginners. It is also easy to install, compared to other programs. However, please don't expect explicit detail about error codes - its quite cryptic - so you may get an error code with a 2 word description that you don't understand...which sometimes pops up in German. Nevertheless, you can clear all your error codes, then see which,if any, return. You can't clear the airbag light though, for which you need INPA,and is easy to do.

INPA is much more useful, and usually comes along with a suite of other programs such as DIS, Progman, NCS Expert and others. INPA is ok to install, but DIS and Progman can be quite challenging to get working, and its best with these to have a dedicated laptop, not used for surfing the net or any other purpose. It depends on how far you want to go: Carsoft, INPA, DIS essentially read codes; Progman and NCS Expert allow coding, the latter also allows programming.

You will need to select a source for your software, and its best to obtain the 16 pin and 20 pin cables from the same source, to give you the best chance of it working ok. There are recommendations to use only an older laptop with serial port, but recent serial usb adapters work too. Mine all came from here, and the cable quality is excellent
http://www.cable-shack.co.uk/index.php
Old 01-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 98 740iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjo View Post
What model scanner would iced for resetting faults like airbag light with out burning a hole in my pocket ????
I have an INNova 3160. It reads the ABS codes also. You can also watch live data on all the sensors. I paid $200 thru Amazon.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:18 AM

Thanks for your info guys