Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Check engine light light up

Today after eating dinner, the check engine light went up. I checked error message. There were none in the iDrive and check okay on the display.

Is this normal? I thought iDrive would tell me what is going on.

After checking the manual, I got even more confused. If the light stay on, it is some sort of emission control problem. If the light stay flashing, it says a misfiring occurred. What confused me is that the icon that I see refers to some Canadian models. So what does this mean?

In any case, I will assume some sort of emission problem from my past car experience and will schedule a time with BMW dealer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	descriptions on the check engine light.png
Views:	193
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	348445  

Advertisement
Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Sorry to hear this. Always a bummer....

This has been widely discussed, but let me give you a quickie:

1. The CEL lights up when the DME captures a fault code. (there can be transient faults that dont light up the CEL, but you have a CEL so you have a real fault)

2. iDrive will tell you nothing

3. It is safe (but annoying to drive)

4. In vvery general terms, all these faults- collectively known as "OBD" or On Board Diagnosic...this is a system mandated by law to control emissions. While it is, in the end, true that any time the CEL is illumintaed it can result in 'increased emissions', the real issue is that something is up with the engine. I say this to explain why the owners manual is generally stupid about what a CEL means.

5. It can be something as simple as leaving the gas cap loose after filling the fuel. Check it.

6. Bring it to the dealer if it isnt the fuel cap. Even if the light turns off. Tell them you want the codes read and reported to you. This will be a BMW specific 4 digit code (letters and numbers).

Good Luck, let us know

A

Last edited by ard; 11-04-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: fuel, not gas...OP has a diesel
Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Sorry to hear this. Always a bummer....
5. It can be something as simple as leaving the gas cap loose after filling the fuel. Check it.
That is exactly the first thing that came to mind after my post. I just went to check the manual and checked the cap. It was very tight.

The instruction stated to turn the cap until you hear a click sound. I tried to turn it and there was no click sound. It was very hard so I don't want to add more force to damage the cap. I remember in my last 3 fueling I never was able to get a click sound. This was definitely different than my previous car. So I noticed it.

It seems to me that the manual instruction only applies to gasoline and not diesel. I guess it can be a simple mistake. All this just confuse me even more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot of the refueling instructions.png
Views:	129
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	348466  

Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
TIt seems to me that the manual instruction only applies to gasoline and not diesel. I guess it can be a simple mistake. All this just confuse me even more.
My diesel fuel cap clicks. Go to the dealer and make them give you another one.

Chuck
Old 11-06-2012, 03:28 PM

The service department called. The problem has to do with a leaky hose feeding the urea. The code was lack of pressure for that that part. I will get my car back tomorrow. This seems like a minor problem. I may used the urea faster than normal and/or pollute the air worse.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Good to hear it was minor. Do yourself a favor and GET THE 4 DIGIT CODE. Dont just rely on his description. I know it feels weird to ask, and more so if he doesnt have it handy...but get it IN writing ON the repair order. Simply call him and say 'make sure it is listed along with the diagnostic work done and the part fixed/replaced'...and then double check when the chick flashes the paperwork at you to sign.

A
Old 11-08-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Good to hear it was minor. Do yourself a favor and GET THE 4 DIGIT CODE. Dont just rely on his description. I know it feels weird to ask, and more so if he doesnt have it handy...but get it IN writing ON the repair order. Simply call him and say 'make sure it is listed along with the diagnostic work done and the part fixed/replaced'...and then double check when the chick flashes the paperwork at you to sign.
My engine had two codes. The paper work stated:
"found Code 492C and 4D02 for SCR tank too low."

The SA stated this was unusual to happen for a Diesel engine. He believes the hose was dented at factory as I suspected.

The hose was connecting between diesel fluid and mixer.