Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 AM

Mein Auto: bmw z3
loose feeling front end

my z 3 1.9lt I replaced the shocks back & front with koni adjustable shocks & 1" lower springs replace control arms front,new bushes front, tyres near new wheel alignment. but it feels loose when driving over 70 k around corners it will go off line easy not tram lining just loose like floating. steering rods are good. smooth roads feel fine but put in a bump or two and hang on ! wants to go any place but where I want it, rear is solid you can feel its from the front. needs more camber ? but non adjustable what to do need some help
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
What was the last thing changed before your problems developed? I'd start by looking there. Or did you do all this work at once?

"Put in a bump or two and hang on" sounds likes a shock with no dampening. Sometimes even a new shock is bad. An example of a new bad shock is http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557181

As many lowered cars are running non-adjusted camber settings without these problems, I doubt your problems are caused by camber.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 PM

its has been driving funny since I got it, shock were worn out & the car sat lower on driver side by 15cm must of been a heavy boy driving the car before me. so while up on jacks I change it all so I would not have to do it again. when you push down on the shocks front it has plenty on dampening ( stiff as) back shocks a little softer but just bounce once and stops. camber looks ok + or - pretty straight by eye. steering rods feel good too. just has a very light feel on the road loose got to hold on the steering wheel & fight with it to keep in in line.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
if its a good alignment shop have them test drive the car
Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: -98 Mroadster S50 Estoril
Sounds like an alignment problem. As if the toe-in is not correct.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Roadster
Greenbeama, out of curiosity how are your tires? I've read a handful of posts out here about tires and tramlining, etc. Mine was pretty squirrelish also until I changed out the fronts and rears. Granted, I did take a butt-ton of camber out of the front and got the tires where they weren't focussed on the very inside tread. You could tell by my tires that I was dealing with minimal contact patch when traveling straight. Even with a mismatched set of tires between the front and rear mine has calmed way down and is now pegging the "fun" meter. BTW, from what I have found you can adjust (with limits) for camber.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:14 AM

the tyres look still new back & front. but they are the same make of tyre but different paten michelin pilots. after putting the shocks & control arms in I had the car wheel alignment adjusted & check ,it feels good doing 60k straight not pulling to any side but up the speed & things get hairy drive by the seat of your pants or what in them !. not much fun at all .I am going to take it to another mechanic to check it out as its getting to the to hard department for me and see if he can nut it out.