Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Question Is BMW Tire & Wheel Coveage a Good Idea?

I'm about to finalize my deal on my new 2013 X1 and the dealer has thrown several additional items in play that I can purchase. Most of them are overpriced and not worth it, so I have dismissed them BMW Tire & Wheel Replacement.

The cost is $1,149 (which I would spread over the life of the loan) and the coverage lasts for 60 months. The brochure states: "It replaces tires and/or wheels due to damage from road hazards."

Ok - we're getting RFTs on these X1s, so I'm told, and they're expensive to replace - not to mention the rims if there is damage from the potholes or whatever. And I'm told BMWs have soft rims anyway. I'm leaning towards getting this coverage.

Two concerns:

(1) Any standard wear tire replacement would be at the judgment call of the dealer (such as if you are ready for new tires at the end of the 60 months and they decide you aren't - an argument ensues.

(2) If I don't go with the coverage and a tire and/or rim gets damaged then these RFTs are expensive to replace. Two or three tires damaged in that 5 year span and I have probably covered the cost of the coverage.

Thoughts and reactions? Anyone go with this coverage or decline it and can you tell me why?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
It's not a bad idea, but it sounds like your dealership is trying to gouge you. You might want to consider a counter-offer. I was quoted $600 for the coverage, and I'm leaning toward purchasing it myself. It's not just the price of the runflats that concerns me. In fact, I intend to replace the runflats with conventional rubber as soon as I can justify it. Runflats are subject to sidewall damage, and the stiff sidewalls make the wheels more vulnerable as well. I was told that any tires I purchase would be covered, as would separate winter wheels and tires. I typically don't fall for extras and add-ons, but this is very tempting. (I live in Michigan where the roads are pocked, plus I have to drive over railroad tracks on a regular basis.)

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
The 17" and 18" RFT on these X1s aren't all that expensive; if you don't mind online purchases, you can get them installed for under $200 each. It's not that easy to bend a wheel where I am.
If you do get it, make sure you know what the max payout is.

In my limited experience, dealers usually judge in the customer's favor, they have nothing to lose and all to gain by the insurance covering your tires.

I wasn't aware that it covers ANY tires put on. If that's the case, it may be worth it if you put expensive tires on.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Estorilblau ///Member

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport EBII
If it only covers RFTs, pass on it. RFTs are crap. Save money and get normal tires and carry can of Fix-a-Flat and a mini electric air pump in cargo area. My mom had tons of problems with her RFTs on her 2009 328i that she bought about a year and a half ago. Just junk. You're better off going to TireRack.com and buying their tires and buying the Road Hazard protection, which is only about $15-25 per tire. Better deal and much better ride quality and handling.

If you can get it to cover any and every tire and wheel you own, regardless of make and RFT status, then get it. Just renegotiate the price.
Just my $0.02.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i xDrive
I have owned 3 bmw's with RFT including an extra set of snow tires. On my last car I had to replace a severely damaged rim. I have had my rims tested several times and fairly commom to be slightly out of round which do not affect balancing. Rims that are not too bent can be straightened for under $200-
Two additional consideration is that the newest (3rd generation rft) have much softer sidewalls so less ikely to bend rims on pot holes, but on the negative side would a dealer check rims on return of a leased vehicle and try to charge for abnormal wear and tear?
2014 X1 xDrive28 (ED 5/13/13), Redelivery 7/11/13)
Old 09-08-2012, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBMW2012 View Post
I'm about to finalize my deal on my new 2013 X1 and the dealer has thrown several additional items in play that I can purchase. Most of them are overpriced and not worth it, so I have dismissed them BMW Tire & Wheel Replacement.

The cost is $1,149 (which I would spread over the life of the loan) and the coverage lasts for 60 months. The brochure states: "It replaces tires and/or wheels due to damage from road hazards."

Ok - we're getting RFTs on these X1s, so I'm told, and they're expensive to replace - not to mention the rims if there is damage from the potholes or whatever. And I'm told BMWs have soft rims anyway. I'm leaning towards getting this coverage.

Two concerns:

(1) Any standard wear tire replacement would be at the judgment call of the dealer (such as if you are ready for new tires at the end of the 60 months and they decide you aren't - an argument ensues.

(2) If I don't go with the coverage and a tire and/or rim gets damaged then these RFTs are expensive to replace. Two or three tires damaged in that 5 year span and I have probably covered the cost of the coverage.

Thoughts and reactions? Anyone go with this coverage or decline it and can you tell me why?

Thanks!
For $1150, I would say absolutely not in most situations since you have to remember you are paying interest and perhaps tax on that amount as well.

If you buy from tirerack or even a good deal from a dealer and you buy 17" or 18" RFT, you probably won't spend much above $200 to $240 per tire including shipping and installation at a reasonably priced shop.

The worst case realistic -- but still rather unlikely -- situation is you probably blow out two wheels/tires that can't be repaired and even in that case if you are willing to buy lightly/moderately used replacement wheels off of Ebay, Craigslist etc,
you will end up spending a little less then $1150. A lot of enthusiasts don't like stock wheels so they sell them for relatively cheap 1-12 months after they buy the car.

In addition, if you have additional space in a garage, cellar etc., you could always buy a spare wheel or two if you see someone selling them since they want to replace them. This way if you end up not needing the spare wheel(s) 6 or 7 years down the line when it may be time to sell the car, you can also get most of your money back.

At a much lower price then $1150 if you aren't that careful of a driver and the roads are truly horrific were you live with lots of potholes and nails, I could see the coverage making some sense if you got truly expensive wheels
Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto: X1
I just picked up my x1 and the dealer quoted $770 for the wheel and dent protection. I turned it down.

I might get it later or at another tire center.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Hello, I came here because I have not been on this forum for too long. I absolutely believe in the value of the forum and wanted to post a comment out of guilt for not contributing for some time. When I saw this message I knew I could provide a substantive reply to it because I was faced with a deliberate clouded presentation by the dealer when I bought our 2012 X5 diesel at end of 2011. The finance manager pushed this hard citing the need fir exoert run flat tire mounting. I took him up on it as the insurance also included rain sensing replacement. He told me my insurance company would not replace this windshield. I also bought it because he stated I could cancel the policy within 30 days. Insurance was around $3500 for the 5 year warranty provided with hte vehicle. Within a few days of purchase I rounded up a full set of undamaged current wheels with my Bridgestone run flats with 90% tires. Bought the entire set shipped from Saint Louis, Mo for $650. Wheels are perfect. I did this because this forum produced comments again and again about run flat owners being stuck all over country waiting for run flat tires to be delivered to them while on trip. I wrap up one of my spares and use the space in the rear to take the spare whenever I go on a trip over 400 miles. Regarding the windshield, the business manager was totally wrong. USAA told me that they would replace my rain sensing windshiled in kind because not doing so would alter the safety aspect of this windshiled purchased on my new vehicle. It took me 12 weeks to get my insurance refunded simply because the dealer had some sort of deal with the insurer on this. THis whole presentation was crap in my opinion......$3500 for tire insurance that would leave me stranded if I had a flat and useless windshiled insurance. Most would probably not wrap and carry a spare on long trips like I did, but I like the peace of mind knowing that if something really unusual happens and I lose a tire, I have a almost new runflat ready to mount. I even carry a compact jack and breaking bar with socket down in the rear storage well so I can do the changeout if and when it ever comes. I don't think the insurance is worth it. As you probably know they estimate about 150 miles range on a down in pressure run flat tire. When I wear these out I will look into conventional tires for my vehicle if they will mount on my wheels. I don't think the whole run flat program is user friendly. That's my position.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport
Counterpoint

Just got an X1 as a loaner and my wife loved it so much, its her next car in about five months. Her interest brought me to this forum and I saw this thread and would like to offer a counter point. I have had the rim and tier insurance on my last two BMWs and it has more than paid for itself. Most recently, my dealer replace three bent rims and tires on my 5 series at no charge to me. DC has some bad roads and I hit a particularly bad stretch, which caused the problem. I also had to replace two rims and tires on my E90 about five years ago.

If you go on the F10 forum, you will get a different take ont he insurance depending on where each member is from. As a poster above points out, the value of the insurance will depend on where you live and the likelihood that ou will seriously damage the rims. Also depends ont he dealership. Mine has never had any problems with triggering the policy.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
I wouldn't do it.

I just traded in my X5 with 20" wheels for the X1, where i had the bmw wheel/tire coverage. In my 2+ yrs of X5 ownership in NYC I was "fortunate" enough to have avoided any major wheel/tire damage. During my last BMW service visit, I did try to have a couple of wheels and tires replaced under the warranty, as I had curbed a wheel and tire. however, I was denied the replacement as the SA claimed that BMW has become more strict on claims, to the point where they make visits to the service facilities to inspect and verify the claimed damages. This was a big turnoff as I had bmw's with the same coverage before and they were willing to honor the free replacement in the past. I cancelled the insurance within a week after this.

Imo you don't need to get the insurance, unless you have 19" wheels and drive in heavily potholed roads. I had the 20's and drove on a fair share of bad roads, plus in a much heavier suv than the X1. $1k+ will buy a good number of wheels/tires, esp in a couple of yrs when the X1 is more common and has an established used parts mkt. on the forums.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Old 11-03-2012, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
We managed to get 5 years of coverage for a very good price which made it worth while. Here in and around Austin the roads have a lot of debris on them (people in pickup trucks do not seem to care what falls off them) and it is very easy to damage both tires and rims.

I would guess it depends on where you live and how much you drive. If you live in an area with relatively clean roads and no pot holes, you would be safe in not getting the insurance. I have had 4 tires in the last 5 years damaged by nails and screws to the point where they needed replacing and the insurance picked up the cost of the new tire and balancing. The cost to replace those tires alone (had I paid for them myself) exceeded the cost of the insurance I paid.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 11-04-2012, 03:44 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
The price is a total rip off, but dont be misled that RFT's are cheap. Even from tire rack. My wife owns a Mini Cooper S and she had two tires punctured. The tires were Conti sport A/S 17' and ran almost $300 per tire (not the wheel) with shipping and tpms.

The whole RFT is a major scam imo as the only one that truly benefits is BMWNA. They charge the same amount as usual with less equipment and spare tire. RFT's are uncomfortable no matter how well they tweek the suspension.

If the dealer ran it around $750 as someone else quoted for 5 years I would just pay it in cash. As long as it is a one for one replacement and not some prorated setup.

I am no fan of RFT's, in fact it is one of the reason I wont buy a new BMW. They take longer to replace then a transmission, they ride rough, and they are expensive.

Short answer no unless they come down in price. Yes, if they will drop it to around $700.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 11-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
The RFTs were my biggest concern in buying my first BMW, a SDrive28i which should be here in another 10-14 days. In my two X1 test drives, I was very impressed by the ride on the 17s. I have 18s on my 2006 Lexus IS250, and the ride can be quite jarring over uneven pavement. And obviously they are not RFTs. They haven't exactly been cheap to replace, either. I have very slight rim damage, due to my own negligence in turning the wheels too close to the curb. Nothing like a bent rim that needed replacing, in my car-owning life. All in all, I'd say the X1 with 17s had a better ride than my IS on 18s.

On the other hand, my best friend with a BMW swears by the insurance, as she had as many as four tires replaced due to common road damage. I believe she has 18s, and her 1-series is from 2009 or so. Due to California slowly becoming a third-world country, despite our mild weather the roads can still be quite rough.

So I'll see what the warranty offer is when I go in to buy my X1. But my "tire guy" (private business, not dealer related) whom I trust, told me that the latest generation of run-flats run much better than the older ones, and the costs have come down. He told me that I should feel pretty comfortable with the 17s, in terms of ease and cost of replacement. So unless the warranty seems like a real bargain, gonna pass.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
I think RFT's are a big advantage for my wife (she'll be driving the X1) for the sole reason she'll never get stranded with a flat on the side of the road when I'm out of town etc.... There's comfort in knowing that. Besides that benefit if I had my choice I'd pass on them. I had a 330 with RFT's that rode very stiff but I understand that they have mastered the RFT/Suspension setup so most of the harshness is gone from the earlier generation. As far as the OP's question, I would pass on the coverage for the sole reason I have had only one issue years ago with a bubble that developed during the first 30 days use on the sidewall of a RFT, and the dealer actually replaced the tire at n/c. Here's some interesting comments on buying Road Hazard insurance from a quick search I did:

The Economics of Tire Warranties

An article from the Washington Post by Terence O'Hara explains the economics of extended warranties and purchase protection plans in general. It is quite fitting for road hazard warranties. He writes:

The decision to buy an extended warranty...defies the recommendations of economists, consumer advocates and product quality experts, who all warn that the plans rarely benefit consumers and are nearly always a waste of money.

'[Extended warranties or purchase protection plans] make no rational sense,' Harvard economist David Cutler said. 'The implied probability [of having an issue with the product] has to be substantially greater than the risk that you can't afford to fix it or replace it. If you're buying a $400 item, for the overwhelming number of consumers that level of spending is not a risk you need to insure under any circumstances.'

In short, road hazard warranties are a waste of money. Don't insure that which you can afford to replace.

Rim Replacement and Repair

Rim replacement is becoming less frequent. With the high cost of aluminum wheels and sport wheel packages, tire insurers have opted to have them repaired. Repair will only be done if the rim does not hold air. What this means is that even if the rim is warped--enough to cause a vibration and even premature tire wear--they won't replace it. Rather, they will send it out to be straightened and repaired.

Rims are replaced only if the damage is so extensive that the new tire, when mounted on the rim, won't hold air. However, even in this case, especially if it's an expensive sport wheel, they may still attempt to repair it.

Repairing rims is a bad option. While some rim repair is acceptable, badly warped or damaged rims will in no way ever be the same.

Article Source: http://*************.com/330737

Numbers Game and Slim Chances

Like all insurance, tire insurance plans are a numbers game. However, this is a game you have a 98% chance of losing. Insider statistics show that the percentage of claims paid out by providers is as low a 2%.

Article Source: http://*************.com/330737
2003 330cic Jet Black / Natural Brown - retired
2001 X-5 3.0 Titanium Siver /Black - retired
BMW CCA Member
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Here's an easy way to check ROI.

Go to tirerack.com and see how much the oem tires will cost to replace.

We replaced my wife's Conti Sport A/S on her mini cooper s, which uses 17"s and they were around $280.00 each. They are RFT's

My Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 17's $170.00 each. They are not RFT's.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more