Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
No Power For 7 Days, Millions In Shelters, My Car Wash Is Open

I'm at 163 Hours 27 Minutes without electricity. My son has strep-throat. My daughter is going stir-crazy. It's 40 degrees in the bedroom at night.

Worst of all is that my F30 is dirty, hasn't been washed in 10 days. The car wash that I trust just re-opened. No line. I want to wash Luxy but feel guilty.

What should I do?

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I'm at 163 Hours 27 Minutes without electricity. My son has strep-throat. My daughter is going stir-crazy. It's 40 degrees in the bedroom at night.

Worst of all is that my F30 is dirty, hasn't been washed in 10 days. The car wash that I trust just re-opened. No line. I want to wash Luxy but feel guilty.

What should I do?

BJ
If there's no line, negotiate a lower price. I can't believe you had to ask.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:

What should I do?

BJ
Why feel guilty? Everything else is completely out of your control.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Take your kids and make the "Washing of Luxy" a family event.
Then evey year celebrate the anniversary of the First Car Wash after the Event

At least it will signal to your kids that things are slowly going back to normal, after this long without their video games, phones and other power eating gizmos they might find the field trip exciting.

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:

What should I do?

BJ
what happened to your plan of going to hotel? I thought you had that setup BJ. Man I can't even imagine being without electricity that long. Compared to you my issue is actually minor.

My CA is in NJ he was suppose to get the plates for my car by now. He just called he said he has the plates but not sure if he can get them to me by tomorrow. Temp plates expire tomorrow.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Hand wash it yourself. It's good exercise and mental therapy.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
By the way, I am really sorry to hear about this and hope everythng works out...

But again, why feel guilty? Everything else is out of your control. Do it!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
Agreed. Why feel guilty? You're paying for the wash, right? It's not like you're stealing some commodity that those affected by the storm need. Or am I missing something, here?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Hand wash it yourself. It's good exercise and mental therapy.
+1. I did that Saturday, not least to give the neighbors an opportunity to have a much-needed laugh at the expense of "that nut who's always washing his BMW."

I am at 161 hours without electricity myself (and the mayor lives across the street, so you know it's serious ). A fireplace and a gas-fired water heater have, thankfully, kept the whole experience classifiable more as "substantial inconvenience" than "hardship." I am however eyeing the dwindling supply of clean clothing (or growing backlog of laundry, if you prefer) with increasing concern. In a few more days, steps must be taken, if only for the benefit of those downwind.

(Speaking of fireplaces: Are there none in the BJ estate? Is the hot water heater electric? Given recent temperatures I would have hoped you'd be a bit warmer. I hope service is restored to your area soon--I know some folks in Ramsey who came on line Saturday but the grid is such a patchwork right now, proximity is almost meaningless.)

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:

What should I do?

BJ
You should not feel guilty at all. Spending money and consuming is an important part of the economy. If nobody goes to the car wash then the owner won't have any money to spend on the things he normally does. Its a vicious cycle.

If you have the means to get your car washed and they have the means wash your car then go for it.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
On Sunday morning, we called the house from our hotel and found out the power was back up, since the phone machine started working. We checked Con Eds online listing, and it still showed outages in our area. We checked out of the hotel and came home, and it was a real pleasure just having electric and heat and stuff. Then, this morning, while my wife was out checking the mailbox, a ConEd guy in a van asked her if we had power.

My wife was not excessively polite about telling him that yeah, it came on sometime while we were away.

We are still awaiting the robo call that our power was back on.

Con Ed really dropped the ball up here in Westchester.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Why would you take a BMW to a car wash? Free swirl marks with every wash??

I've got a CR Spotless Water system, it deionizes the water. Just use a microfiber mitt, horizontal directional motion, one-way, like as if you were painting. Wash mitt while you're making passes, so no dirt buildup on mitt. No soap, just water to get dirt off with mitt, then the deionized water to spray off "dirty" water. It air dries with no water spots, any spots are from the "dirty" water that wasnt deionized, or you missed a spot cleaning.

I bought the system from Costco, but you can buy it straight from the company, as with the refills. Easily cheaper than going to a carwash, and I know some buffoon didn't scratch or **** my car up in the process.

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
I am at 161 hours without electricity myself (and the mayor lives across the street, so you know it's serious . A fireplace and a gas-fired water heater have, thankfully, kept the whole experience classifiable more as "substantial inconvenience" than "hardship." I am however eyeing the dwindling supply of clean clothing (or growing backlog of laundry, if you prefer) with increasing concern. In a few more days, steps must be taken, if only for the benefit of those downwind.

(Speaking of fireplaces: Are there none in the BJ estate? Is the hot water heater electric? Given recent temperatures I would have hoped you'd be a bit warmer. I hope service is restored to your area soon--I know some folks in Ramsey who came on line Saturday but the grid is such a patchwork right now, proximity is almost meaningless.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
what happened to your plan of going to hotel? I thought you had that setup BJ. Man I can't even imagine being without electricity that long. Compared to you my issue is actually minor.

My CA is in NJ he was suppose to get the plates for my car by now. He just called he said he has the plates but not sure if he can get them to me by tomorrow. Temp plates expire tomorrow. :
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
By the way, I am really sorry to hear about this and hope everythng works out...

But again, why feel guilty? Everything else is out of your control. Do it!
First off, thank you everyone for the well wishes. We are four hours shy of a full week without electricity now. Unbelievable.

We are fortunate that our 100-year-old house has gas. So we have a gas fireplace designed for power outages, gas to cook on the stove, and gas to heat the water. Overall or not as bad off some other people. That said, with four kids we are seriously getting on each others nerves crammed into one room around the warm fireplace. The rest of the house is below 40° at this point.

I can understand that the storms magnitude meant that we'd be without power for a while. And while not hit as badly as people in coastal areas, it's still rather ridiculous that it takes seven full days for even the first sign of our power company to pay our town a visit.

My license plate has an even number, so tomorrow I will try to get gas for the first time. Not looking forward to those lines. After the gas is in, I'll go get the car wash. Luxy deserves a visit to the beauty parlor after all the service she's provided this week.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 11-05-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 PM

BJ. Hit the bricks and move the family up to a hotel somewhere in the Hudson Valley. We have gasoline, and I am sure you can find a room someplace. It is getting cold, man.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
This is why it is important to get the cold weather package. You can just sit in your car, turn on the seat warmers and heated steering wheel. Problem solved. hah

Hope you get your power back soon!

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
BJ. Hit the bricks and move the family up to a hotel somewhere in the Hudson Valley. We have gasoline, and I am sure you can find a room someplace. It is getting cold, man.
Trust me, I'm going to give tonight's 28 degrees a try and make a decision tomorrow.

We own a beach house in Maine, can be up there in 5 hours, nice and warm, no charge. Problem is that the electric company keeps promising "tomorrow" as the restoration date and the kids go back to school on Wednesday.

Might do the Mahwah Sheraton if we can't take another night.

BJ

Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: E39 528iA
Living in florida I have been hit with many hurricanes and without power for days in 80-90 degree weather with the humidity high, we have never had the gas shortage or having to go on a certain day to fill up.I hope all gets better for all of you living without power in this cold weather.stay warm guys

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Trust me, I'm going to give tonight's 28 degrees a try and make a decision tomorrow.

We own a beach house in Maine, can be up there in 5 hours, nice and warm, no charge. Problem is that the electric company keeps promising "tomorrow" as the restoration date and the kids go back to school on Wednesday.

Might do the Mahwah Sheraton if we can't take another night.

BJ
Go to Mahwah, Maine is too far. It made a big difference to get the chill out of the body, and just be able to watch some stupid TV and lose the tension.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
On Sunday morning, we called the house from our hotel and found out the power was back up, since the phone machine started working. We checked Con Eds online listing, and it still showed outages in our area. We checked out of the hotel and came home, and it was a real pleasure just having electric and heat and stuff. Then, this morning, while my wife was out checking the mailbox, a ConEd guy in a van asked her if we had power.

My wife was not excessively polite about telling him that yeah, it came on sometime while we were away.

We are still awaiting the robo call that our power was back on.

Con Ed really dropped the ball up here in Westchester.
Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not quite understanding how they "dropped the ball". You, along with millions of other people just went through the storm of the century, leaving billions of dollars in damages, millions of trees downed, floods and all other sorts of mayhem. In spite of all of this, they got your electricity back in something like 6 days. That strikes me as nearly miraculous. We had a week long power outage here last summer caused by a 5 minute long severe thunderstorm accompanied by a strong microburst. It took crews from 8 states almost 2 weeks to fix all the damage. I can't imagine what they're dealing with on the east coast right now.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not quite understanding how they "dropped the ball". You, along with millions of other people just went through the storm of the century, leaving billions of dollars in damages, millions of trees downed, floods and all other sorts of mayhem. In spite of all of this, they got your electricity back in something like 6 days. That strikes me as nearly miraculous. We had a week long power outage here last summer caused by a 5 minute long severe thunderstorm accompanied by a strong microburst. It took crews from 8 states almost 2 weeks to fix all the damage. I can't imagine what they're dealing with on the east coast right now.
Your not dense. People are just plain frustrated. We lost power for 2 1/2 days in Clark,NJ and were very very happy to get it back on. Our beach house in Lavallette,NJ is another story,you can't get to it to see what the extent of the damage is do to road ca lapse and flooding. The only way we look at is it could be worse, some people don't even have a house.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
I'm in MD and we got hit by a severe storm in the summer and were without power for a week. Hope you get power back soon, BJ. It sucks not having power.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
I couldn't have said it better. The only person who rips the ass of the service guy who has probably been pulling 14 hour days for a week and hasn't seen his family, is someone who has never done a real job in their f*cking life.

The techs and engineers are those companies are pretty much killing themselves and want this fixed as badly as the homeowners (if not more). People should be a little more appreciative. If those guys become frustrated and stopped working so hard you wouldn't have power till Xmas.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 11-06-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I couldn't have said it better. The only person who rips the ass of the service guy who has probably been pulling 14 hour days for a week and hasn't seen his family, is someone who has never done a real job in their f*cking life.
+1

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
+1
I'll go a bit further. While it's inconvenient to have to stay in a hotel, away from home, there are thousands of people who don't have that option and are crammed into shelters right now... or worse, are still in their homes with plunging temperatures and no heat or power.

There are elderly people who are terrified not because they "lost power" and had to go stay at a hotel but because their homes are going to be labeled uninhabitable and they don't know where they are going to go.

People should be a little more thankful for how "bad" they have it compared to how bad others do.

OK, off of the soap box now.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post

People should be a little more thankful for how "bad" they have it compared to how bad others do.
+1 My son in law works for the power company and is working 16 hours on 8 hours off. He doesn't have power in his own home and on his off time had to travel 3 hours round trip to get a generator for his home. On his trip he was in fear he would run out of gas and wouldn't get back to his job site. Everything worked out on that end now today they were told they had to evacuate there home because of the new storm thats coming in .The only positive, we get the grand children to come to our house.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 11-06-2012 at 07:43 AM.