Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:46 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Lavalette. A friend took pictures from a helicopter and they showed little or no damage. So far our main concern is the rotten food in the refrigerator.
cheers
vern
The house we were looking at was on leased land. It was a convoluted, but we could've had a beautiful new house right on the ocean itself but we would not own the property just the dwelling.

We weren't comfortable with that so we took a pass. Can't imagine what's left of it now.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
We were very lucky on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. We were surrounded by devasatation but the storm had very little impact on our area.

We are now at our winter escape at The Boca Raton Resort and Club until Christmas.
We will be in NYC for the holidays and will return to Florida after Jan 1st.

CA
Which part of NY was hit the hardest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Which part of NY was hit the hardest?
All of Manhattan below 39th Street lost power and some areas downtown were flooded. Some of the outer boroughs were hit very hard. Several of the tunnels that run under the East River and the Hudson River were totally filled with water.

Extensive damage on Staten Island and in southern Queens and southern Brooklyn in neighborhoods like Coney Island, Seagate, and the Rockaways that are built on barrier islands. The neighborhood of Breezy Point which is on the Rockaway Penninsula was totally destroyed. A fire started in one home and was fanned by the high winds. Flood waters prevented access by the fire department and the fire spread and 112 homes burned to the ground,

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 11-15-2012, 05:36 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
The Honda runs on gas, but is so much more efficent that all the other, I didn't mind.
3-1/2 gals for 20 hours of run time, I keep the tank full + 3 5 gal cans and I'm good for a long time.
I also now keep a siphon hose in the barn in case I need to take fuel from one of my cars.

I'm not sure about the propane or Nat gas, but google it and see what comes up!
What particular Honda model do you have ish?

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster
Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E91 328xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Pretty much all of the generator backups that can run on propane and natural gas are pad units that look like an air conditioner, they are typically piped directly in to specific circuits in the house, so that when an electrical interruption is detected they turn on and take over.

Cheaper ones are $1500-$2000 and the more expensive ones can run upwards of $10K. Look at it this way, you are going to spend $500-$1000 or more having it installed (more than likely)... it might not make sense to cheap out on something, that even while it doesn't get used often, you expect it to work even if your next big electrical problem does not happen for 10 years.

Lower end units may or may not provide enough power for the entire home. Your electrician should be able to help you get an idea of your max draw, and ideally you simply get a generator that can handle everything other than really high usage appliances (electric clothes dryer, etc). The bigger/heavier units can put out upwards of 10,000 watts and some of them can also provide power on your 220V circuits so that even electric ovens and clothes dryers continue to operate during an outage.

Worst thing would be to get something with a poor reliability record, go through all of the trouble and then when you have another episode, find out that the unit is no longer functional. Another factor to consider is noise level, some of the cheaper units are quite noisy (think lawnmower engine)... so you might want to get an idea of the relative noise level... your neighbors won't be too happy with you if you have a super loud generator cranking during an extended power outage.

To put it another way, someone in your neighborhood probably has the higher end generator backup and feels, after this storm, that it's the best money they've ever spent.
BJ...We put in a Generac standby whole house generator (14,000kw) about 4 years ago. I think between the generator and the install we spent $5,500. The one thing I will tell you is what the gas company and electrician told us when it was being installed...put in one of those standby generators and you will never lose power again. Literally...ours has only run 3 times because of power outages (none more than a day) in the 4 years we've had it (it does a test cycle run every Friday for about 5 minutes). Ask us though, and it was the best money we ever spent. In the winter in the woods in Maine (on a well), to be able to go about your life...or go away in the winter and not have to worry about a storm/frozen pipes is fantastic. It turns on automatically if the power goes out and shuts off automatically. It covers our whole house, and can run everything (including the well pump and washer/dryer) without giving it a thought. Now that we've had one, we would never have another house that didn't have one.

We thought about getting a Honda, but the idea of having to pull out a generator, fill it with gas, refill it during the course of an outage, turn it off and on just seemed like a pain to me (hey, I'm a girl ) - and would give no security if I was away on a trip. When I met with the electrician I had a list of items I wanted to be able to run during an outage (well, refrigerator, furnace and one floor of lights). Basically, for an upgrade in the generator to the next model and $400 more on the install (has an additional circuit box) we were able to get the whole house.

So something to think about...and for your wife and kids to not have to deal with the generator if you weren't around, it might be worth the extra $$.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Pharmaceuticals

Quote:
What Pharm. Co.? My daughter inlaw works for Merk.
chees
vern
Vern,

I am with Sanofi. 28 years. Been a great time. and still is !
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Thumbs up New Jersey Bound !

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words, and while no one is talking about it much the effort that was given by the people from out-of-state to repair our problems was fantastic.

I am up in Northern New Jersey, about 30 minutes away from Bridgewater. Bridgewater is a really nice area but inland, I don't think the storm affected it that much down there.

Have a great visit, if you're lonely I can come down and give you a ride in my Luxury liner.

BJ
Thanks BJ, I look forward to Ride in the Luxury Liner. Will be fun to compare mine.
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaultf1 View Post
BJ...We put in a Generac standby whole house generator (14,000kw) about 4 years ago.

In the winter in the woods in Maine (on a well), to be able to go about your life...or go away in the winter and not have to worry about a storm/frozen pipes is fantastic.

We thought about getting a Honda, but the idea of having to pull out a generator, fill it with gas, refill it during the course of an outage, turn it off and on just seemed like a pain to me (hey, I'm a girl )
First off, thank you very much for the advice.

Secondly, since I live in Maine in the summer in a house right on the beach and drive a brand new BMW I know you must be attracted to me. I can make it up to Maine tomorrow by noon; if you show me your generator I'll give you my lobster roll. Good?

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post
Thanks BJ, I look forward to Ride in the Luxury Liner. Will be fun to compare mine.
Better bring some spirited pharmaceuticals because she's so gentle in the curves she may put you to sleep.

BJ

Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
... I have a small 3000kw, very quiet & efficient Honda generator ....
No, you don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renaultf1 View Post
We put in a Generac standby whole house generator (14,000kw) about 4 years ago.
No, you didn't, either.
Quote:
Question: Is your 3000kw generator enough ...
It sure would be, if it existed.

Honda's 3000 watt (3000 W), or three kilowatt (3 kW), generator provides partial power for a good-sized house. A 3000 kW (or three megawatt [3 MW]) generator would do the same for a good-sized neighborhood.

When the grid collapses, that 14000 W (14 kW) Generac lets life go on in a house in the Maine woods. A 14000 kW (14 MW) unit would do the same for a small town in the Maine woods. You'd be your own utility company.

(This concludes the unsolicited pedantic terminology portion of today's schedule. We now return you to the regularly scheduled Interweb.)

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
I'm amazed at how poorly utility companies are regulated, and how poorly they perform in the US. Power grids are poorly maintained ( trees are not cleared or cut down often enough, or at all, insufficient equipment in place to detect outages, etc. ). Last winter we had some gusty winds, and a bit of frozen rain, and it caused us to loose electricity for 16 hours . The power company even managed half the voltage put into our grid for a few minutes (PSE suck). Luckily none of our appliances broke.

In other countries utility companies face severe penalties if electricity is out for more than a few hours, and progressive fines for longer outages. The result is a well build grid, and few outages, even after severe weather. Ex, in Norway utilities MUST pay each of it's customers affected a bit over USD100 for 12 hours without electricity, USD250 per day. Needless to say, outages are very rare, and never last for more than 4 hours. Utility companies who are unable to meet basic SLAs loose their licenses, and are quickly dissolved.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by khovik View Post
I'm amazed at how poorly utility companies are regulated, and how poorly they perform in the US. Power grids are poorly maintained ( trees are not cleared or cut down often enough, or at all, insufficient equipment in place to detect outages, etc. ). Last winter we had some gusty winds, and a bit of frozen rain, and it caused us to loose electricity for 16 hours . The power company even managed half the voltage put into our grid for a few minutes (PSE suck). Luckily none of our appliances broke.

In other countries utility companies face severe penalties if electricity is out for more than a few hours, and progressive fines for longer outages. The result is a well build grid, and few outages, even after severe weather. Ex, in Norway utilities MUST pay each of it's customers affected a bit over USD100 for 12 hours without electricity, USD250 per day. Needless to say, outages are very rare, and never last for more than 4 hours. Utility companies who are unable to meet basic SLAs loose their licenses, and are quickly dissolved.
I agree. I am from UK and amazed how often power goes out here in Seattle. I guess this is living in the Wild West...
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 AM

Thumbs up Sounds good

Quote:
Better bring some spirited pharmaceuticals because she's so gentle in the curves she may put you to sleep.

BJ
i don't think my product line will help. Now in Diabetes Division.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Saturday we finally got into Lavallette after more than a 3 hour wait in line to cross the Seaside Bridge. It was horrible to see the devastation in person and not on the news. There was rubble and furniture on all the curb sides. They wouldn't let anybody go down the streets in Ortley heading towards the ocean where the houses were totally destroyed. There were well over 100 police vehicles some from out of state even as far as TX. all along the way to stop people and looters from going down any of the streets. When we got to our place we REALLY lucked out, somebody up there was looking out for us. The only thing we had was a little bit of sand and the food that went bad in the refrigerator. Some houses had a few pieces of siding loose and some shingles missing. At the bottom of the street most all the cottages had watter damage. We were told that the gas won't be restored until some time in April and the electric sooner. Any way we got our place winterized and cleaned out the fridge in the little amount of time we had,we had to be out by 2 o'clock.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 11-18-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Saturday we finally got into Lavallette after more than a 3 hour wait in line to cross the Seaside Bridge. It was horrible to see the devastation in person and not on the news. There was rubble and furniture on all the curb sides. They wouldn't let anybody go down the streets in Ortley heading towards the ocean where the houses were totally destroyed. There were well over 100 police vehicles some from out of state even as far as TX. all along the way to stop people and looters from going down any of the streets. When we got to our place we REALLY lucked out, somebody up there was looking out for us. The only thing we had was a little bit of sand and the food that went bad in the refrigerator. Some houses had a few pieces of siding loose and some shingles missing. At the bottom of the street most all the cottages had watter damage. We were told that the gas won't be restored until some time in April and the electric sooner. Any way we got our place winterized and cleaned out the fridge in the little amount of time we had,we had to be out by 2 o'clock.
cheers
vern
I'm terribly sorry about what happened to your town but am relieved for you that your place held up okay. What a terrible situation.

We were going to rent a home for a week down there this upcoming summer just to check it out, doesn't sound like that can happen now.

BJ

Old 11-18-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I'm terribly sorry about what happened to your town but am relieved for you that your place held up okay. What a terrible situation.

We were going to rent a home for a week down there this upcoming summer just to check it out, doesn't sound like that can happen now.

BJ
I was surprised when I took a look at the beach. The length of the beach to waters edge wasn't really shortened that much. The only thing was that there was about a 2 foot drop close to the top of the beach. Could be by the time warm weather comes that will be leveled out
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for Update

Quote:

BJ
I echo BJ's sentiment. Glad your house is OK. Our hearts go out to all that have suffered the devastating losses. Keep us informed how the cleanup and rebuilding is coming along in the upcoming months. Where are most people staying who have lost their homes ? The insurance companies must be working 7/24. Hope you all have a mild winter. Will be in New Jersey soon for my 16 days of training. God Speed.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I echo BJ's sentiment. Glad your house is OK. Our hearts go out to all that have suffered the devastating losses. Keep us informed how the cleanup and rebuilding is coming along in the upcoming months. Where are most people staying who have lost their homes ? The insurance companies must be working 7/24. Hope you all have a mild winter. Will be in New Jersey soon for my 16 days of training. God Speed.
Thanks for the concern. Most of the people in our area are seasonal the ones that we know that are full time are staying with family that are out of the devastated area. Others are staying in shelters or motels-hotels. Thanks again
cheers
vern
Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i;7203754.

Hope you all have a mild winter. Will be in New Jersey soon for my 16 days of training.
You rent an F30 for your stay yet?

https://www.bmwondemandusa.com/select.do?action=welcome

Easier if we just meet at the strip club instead of me picking you up.

BJ

Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Wash it BJ. Better to look good than to feel good.
'06 Mini Cooper S
'66 Morgan 4/4
'01 Toyota Tacoma
'73 Porsche 911T
'73 BMW 2002tii
Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
Wash it BJ. Better to look good than to feel good.
Now that's the spirit.

BJ

Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
All of Manhattan below 39th Street lost power and some areas downtown were flooded. Some of the outer boroughs were hit very hard. Several of the tunnels that run under the East River and the Hudson River were totally filled with water.

Extensive damage on Staten Island and in southern Queens and southern Brooklyn in neighborhoods like Coney Island, Seagate, and the Rockaways that are built on barrier islands. The neighborhood of Breezy Point which is on the Rockaway Penninsula was totally destroyed. A fire started in one home and was fanned by the high winds. Flood waters prevented access by the fire department and the fire spread and 112 homes burned to the ground,

CA
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yesterday I passed the old GM truck assembly plant,that is no more,on Rt.1 in Linden and they are building a huge temporary housing site for people from Sandy that lost there homes . I couldn't believe how big this was.
cheers
vern
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM

Thumbs up Jersey Bound !

Quote:
You rent an F30 for your stay yet?

https://www.bmwondemandusa.com/select.do?action=welcome

Easier if we just meet at the strip club instead of me picking you up.

BJ
Too Funny. Might need that break from Studying