Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-13-2011, 11:08 PM

Mein Auto: 98,740i
Nitrous on a 740i?

Alright so my friend offered me a nitrous kit for really cheap,
ive read and looked through and ive seen some 540i's have a kit.
what i was wondering though could my engine handle the shot as it has 143000 miles
and my tranny just got rebuilt. i dont plan on going over 100. 75 the highest.
i just want that little edge of power in my car at the track
Old 09-18-2011, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 740IL
you shouldnt have a problem at 75. just watch your seals as you use it
Old 09-26-2011, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 00 e38, 95 e34, 94 e36
I would buy a chap block if I was you, send it to AEBS and have them sleeve and deck the block, buy the parts on the side, pistons, rings, there is a guy in Hemet Ca. that makes custom crank shafts from aircraft aluminum and hes not that expensive too... 143k is not bad, but putting nitrous on a stock, high milage engine, you might be asking to much... the piston rings have gone through alot in its 143kmile life... just a suggestion, you can put it on now, or cruise around enjoy your car and build the motor to handel it.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: GTI
From what I have seen, you can put nitrous on a car that people would not normally expect it to have, or be able to handle it.

I think it is more about the set up, and doing it safely, rather than just making some sort of manual spray button or switch taht actually requires YOU to time it correctly. They have all sorts of devices you can set up that make it basically automatic, all you have to do is arm, unscrew the bottle, make sure it is warm, etc. I know of one gentleman in particular who set it up to self spray ONLY at WOT, starting at 3000RPM and cutting off at something like 6400(his redline was 6500). Worked well, but it was a FWD car, so his 60ft times were about 0.5 second too slow he claimed since he could not launch. A heavier car like a 740i, with its RWD, would probably lay some good times down with all that weight transfer to the back wheels. IM reading the stock 1/4 are about 15.8 or something. Spraying could very well make it see high 14s, which for a luxury car is pretty good.

I am pretty sure most cars could handle a 35 shot(including those old EF civic hatchbacks that have 13 second 0-60 times), but I think the E38 V8 motor might gain more than 35HP from the "35" shot. I have been told it kind of works like that.

One of my turbo cars was putting out about 200whp and 240wtq, but would've benefited better than a 120hp naturally aspirated car from a small jet size. This is what I was told though, and I think dyno charts show this as well.

I am interested in getting one of the 1995 4.0 or 4.4l 96-99 models and putting a bottle on. Not sure if I will do this, but if I get one I definitely will write how it goes if there is interest. I have seen no one actually do it and write about it on the internet or other places. If the stock internals are handling 350-400whp from those VF supercharging kits, along with the injectors, manifolds (plastic intake manifold?), and nothing crazy is happening to the other stuff, a 35 shot will be a good solid gain, just make sure you set it up properly to put enough fuel in. Once again, there are computers to help with this.

Heck a 35-50 shot jet, Dinan tuning, and some cat back exhausts or bypass pipes, you could be trotting in the 375whp territory on the spray. If the car is about 4000 pounds that's not too bad. Plus it's OBDI on the 1995 4.0 liters, so in terms of tuning and a "bad catalytic converter" code being thrown, it might be a better platform to start from.

Definitely piss off some people, wouldn't race any Evo's though.

Last edited by ÜbelGTI; 11-03-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:39 AM
OBDI Junkie

Mein Auto: E36 M3
where on earth are you tracking an e38?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoods50 View Post
where on earth are you tracking an e38?
What do you mean?

If you mean where am I racing a 740i, then I never said I was, and I'm not. I do not own one currently. Most of this info was for that guy who posted originally, and anyone else who cares to read. I'm tired of people asking questions like these and getting questions based on knowledge of nothing. I saw some responses in other forums about nitrous on BMWs and they are VERY against it. They think it will blow up, or **** the tranny up. I've seen some General Motor cars run a stock clutch on nitrous, and it never blew the clutch for 35,000 miles, or slipped. Most cars can handle it, and if BMWs are as quality as everyone says, then nitrous wont break something.

If you are wondering what kind of track I would race a 740i on, I was referring to a strip.

If you mean which one in particular, then I don't know, it doesn't really matter. (Probably that one between lebanon and murfreesboro, it's a raceway Im told that does drag racing. And I dont mean lady-men running.)

If you are being a sarcastic asshole trying to make me look stupid, then **** you.

If you mean tracking like what you do with animals in the woods, I'm not doing that either.

Last edited by ÜbelGTI; 11-05-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:00 PM
OBDI Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜbelGTI View Post
What do you mean?

If you mean where am I racing a 740i, then I never said I was, and I'm not. I do not own one currently. Most of this info was for that guy who posted originally, and anyone else who cares to read. I'm tired of people asking questions like these and getting questions based on knowledge of nothing. I saw some responses in other forums about nitrous on BMWs and they are VERY against it. They think it will blow up, or **** the tranny up. I've seen some General Motor cars run a stock clutch on nitrous, and it never blew the clutch for 35,000 miles, or slipped. Most cars can handle it, and if BMWs are as quality as everyone says, then nitrous wont break something.

If you are wondering what kind of track I would race a 740i on, I was referring to a strip.

If you mean which one in particular, then I don't know, it doesn't really matter. (Probably that one between lebanon and murfreesboro, it's a raceway Im told that does drag racing. And I dont mean lady-men running.)

If you are being a sarcastic asshole trying to make me look stupid, then **** you.

If you mean tracking like what you do with animals in the woods, I'm not doing that either.
Woah- easy there hair trigger!

Sorry you interpreted that as some sort of insult; and I would certainly not infer anything about your intelligence-- stupidity does not necessarily have a proportionate relationship to modification. For example- I could be called an idiot for retrofitting a tilt column on my M3- as it has limited functionality. The mod was more for uniqueness than convenience.

My (lighthearted) question was intended to provoke what thought processes went into turning the giant into a sleeper. For your information, I happen to like the idea- but much is against those voting pro, from the start. #1: weight.

I've built a few sleepers, none in this platform though. The Tq a stock hp24 or hp30 will handle is readily available from ZF. If you're serious about building a scary monster beast that also provides passengers the comfort afforded to diplomats-- my hat's off to you-- and again, I like the idea.

By the way- it was to nowerelsetoroam I was responding-- i didn't even really read your post- sorry. For clarification, I was assuming autox. As we know from fundamental communication education, assumption creates conflict-- my bad

Last edited by mgoods50; 11-05-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 328is, 2001 750is
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoods50 View Post
Woah- easy there hair trigger!

Sorry you interpreted that as some sort of insult; and I would certainly not infer anything about your intelligence-- stupidity does not necessarily have a proportionate relationship to modification. For example- I could be called an idiot for retrofitting a tilt column on my M3- as it has limited functionality. The mod was more for uniqueness than convenience.

My (lighthearted) question was intended to provoke what thought processes went into turning the giant into a sleeper. For your information, I happen to like the idea- but much is against those voting pro, from the start. #1: weight.

I've built a few sleepers, none in this platform though. The Tq a stock hp24 or hp30 will handle is readily available from ZF. If you're serious about building a scary monster beast that also provides passengers the comfort afforded to diplomats-- my hat's off to you-- and again, I like the idea.

By the way- it was to nowerelsetoroam I was responding-- i didn't even really read your post- sorry. For clarification, I was assuming autox. As we know from fundamental communication education, assumption creates conflict-- my bad
I was assuming someone would take me for a ride in their tracked e38 - bummer.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Just for everyones info. There is a guy in the E39 section running a 2 stage 225 shot. 150 shot plus a 75 second stage shot. I believe its a 99 540. So same M62tu motor. His motor is bone stock with 100K+ miles. Hes been runing his setup for about 50K+ miles with no problems. Puts down 400+ at the wheels. Everyone on there keeps telling him "your gonna blow it up". I want to say hes got over 150,000 miles on his car.. He did it very nice. His 150 shot is a direct fogger, and the second stage is a single fogger. Hes got some pics posted. Still, 400+ RWHP for about $1500 is outstanding.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 AM
OBDI Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSC540ia View Post
Just for everyones info. There is a guy in the E39 section running a 2 stage 225 shot. 150 shot plus a 75 second stage shot. I believe its a 99 540. So same M62tu motor. His motor is bone stock with 100K+ miles. Hes been runing his setup for about 50K+ miles with no problems. Puts down 400+ at the wheels. Everyone on there keeps telling him "your gonna blow it up". I want to say hes got over 150,000 miles on his car.. He did it very nice. His 150 shot is a direct fogger, and the second stage is a single fogger. Hes got some pics posted. Still, 400+ RWHP for about $1500 is outstanding.

Niiice!

I was in contact with a European company for a while when I considered it for my M3. More of just something to tinker with though-- I'd likely never even use it.

We were talking about a system that would not be instant full-on, but rather ramp up delivery according to throttle angle. I haven't done a lot of research, but I don't think this type of setup is common-- likely because of the huge investment-- and generally speaking, nos users just want full on at WOT anyway. I have the information archived somewhere. I'm still planning to revisit the idea in the future. I know the company is top notch, top notch stuff too.