Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 330i ZSP
Looking at New Exhaust System

I need to replace my exhaust from manifolds back. Going with the Magna Flow 23554 Cat.

The Cat-Back system is what I am stuck on. I like a little rumble just not a lot. At idle and low RPM I would like a system that sounds fairly close to factory, a little rumble. When I get into it getting noisy is ok, I donít do that often, I tend to shift around 3k. I have long since outgrown, the redline shifting and noise everywhere I go attitude. I have had plenty of old Firebirds with glass pack style exhausts.

Current system is the original 23 yr old stock exhaust and cat. Itís worn out and wakes the neighborhood up on cold mornings. Sounds like an old V8.

I have been leaning towards the Scorpion System through Bavarian Autosport, because according to them is what I am looking for. It is also stainless steel. Either that or just keep it stock. I don't race or track my car. If the opportunity presents itself I may go to a track or autocross event, but not on a regular basis.

I have searched and searched and read countless threads and listened to many amateur sound clips on You Tube (Stock, Scorpion, Remus, etc). I could not really tell much between any of them. Even the stock clips sounded loud. Some say the Scorpion is really loud, and that concerns me. At WOT, ok no biggie. Before I drop $400 on a system I want to be sure what I am getting into.

Opinions

2006 330i 6 Spd Man, ZSP, CA, SG, Black ette, Burl, Sat Prep.
ED 29 May 06
Man, ED could become addicting!
1990 325i, 5spd, Calypso Red, Tan
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
the flowmaster super 50 series if you can get on that fits would be a mild tone with a cat. you could also probably have a local exhaust shop make a cat back for a good price. the ANSA mufflers are also fairly mild as well.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 1988 325e
You could also go the ebay route:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-1988-19...1253b8&vxp=mtr

There's been a few posts regarding this exhaust on a few BMW forums. Its believed to be of equal quality (some say its the same one) to Ireland Engineering's exhaust, which they sell for quite a bit more than the listing above. I have no personal experience with it but people say it is stock sounding but it tends to get a bit louder over a bit of time.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Thanks Guys.

Downhiller: Thought about the custom route, but there are not many reputable shop for that here. The ANSA I have heard rusts out quickly, and I will be moving to a snowier environment in the next year, so I ruled them out.

Pennyw1se: heard of those on eBay and the issues with getting louder. Not to mention I wanted to stay away from the China made crap, especially from a company that cannot even spell check there ads before posting them. Bad enough I can't get a decent stereo for it that isn't made in Asia.

I have been researching the EBERSPAECHER (OEM) Cat Back Exhaust. Seeing that this one has been in service for 23 years, it is a viable option that isn't pricy. With the Magna flow Cat is may sound a bit better than completely stock system.

ED 29 May 06
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue38 View Post
especially from a company that cannot even spell check there ads before posting them.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Just sayin'

I agree about the Chinese made stuff, though.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM

LOL. Nice catch Horn! I even put my post through Word to check it first.

ED 29 May 06
Old 11-08-2012, 01:04 PM
1 John 1:9

Mein Auto: E30, Rabbit GTI
In all honesty. Quality exhaust cost. You want something that's going to last forever. Go to a muffler shop the garrenties that. That is your best bet for cost and quality.