Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Ferrari 458
X35i Premium build advice

Hello All,

I've been frequent visitor to the forum last 2 months or so. was waiting for Nov/Dec deals. I have few questions on build.

1. Can I do performance center delivery and have it also ship the car to local dealer after PCD is done? Can't drive across the country to the other end I'm in west coast.

2. What is adaptive drive in nutshell? (Read few thread on adaptive drive) is it must have? Primary user of this car will be wifey w/90% city driving for hauling kids. I would be driving this on weekend till I get my GL450 MY14 next year.

3. Experts - Am I still missing must have options? pls. see build config. Tech package probably??

Thanks for the advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled picture.png
Views:	118
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	348568  
Ads by Google
Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
#2 - IMO Adaptive Drive is a must have, I very much regret not getting it. I have the 3rd row and the wheel Option 214 (20 inch run flats) . . . AD will improve your ride quality . . . plus the handling - it is not just for taking the curves at higher speeds or "sporty driving" . . . best description - X5 will feel more like a car than a SUV. Yes this adds to the overall complexity - so if you are super sensitive to maintenance, etc you may want to do a careful cost/benefit analysis that takes into account your specific thought process.

Options I have and I REALLY like *IMO* - my test for an option's usefulness is - when I drive another car do I look for the option / miss it.
  • Multi-Contour Seats - the best seats I have EVER had!
  • Heads Up Display / Side-view camera / Automatic High Beams (not very useful if you hardly drive on surface roads with no street lights.
  • Key-less entry
  • Premium Sound - I don't know how the standard sounds . . . for my ears, premium sounds just right for a car audio.
  • Rear heated seats - we always get it on our cars - hate to see the little one watch us enjoying it in the front!
If you are not a succor for the 20 inch 'looks' . . . you may want to look into 19 inch rims and AD. From a ride perspective I believe that is the best combo.

Since you have ordered the 3rd row you are stuck with run flats.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:01 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
I don't think he has ordered it ..YET so if he doesn't NEED the 3rd row, he could still go with the non-run flats (my recommendation).

As to Adaptive Drive. It may be a "nice to have" rather than a MUST HAVE. It IS $3,500 after all and those $'s could go to lot of other options. Mine does not have AD but it still corners like it is "on rails" so it is NOT needed for sporty handling. However that being said, I will admit that having it "may" smooth out the ride over minor road imperfections.

Tech package..pass (who really NEEDS a heads up display anyway).

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-07-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Ac***** ******

Mein Auto: .
I would definitely add in Multi-Contour seats - it's one of the best and unique features of X5. Also, if you don't NEED the 3rd row seats - remove them, otherwise you won't be able to get a spare tire.
Adaptive drive is basically an electronically adjustable suspension... We have our X5 without it - the stock suspension is perfectly comfortable even on NYC streets (the car has 19" Michelin RFT's). You should drive both types of X5, with AD and without, and see which one you prefer.
Since your wife would be driving it - I would also get Active Steering option, it makes steering less "firm".
HUD option is very nice to have - you can always keep your eyes on a road instead of looking at instrument panel (for stuff like your current speed or warning messages or navigation directions), but it is useless if you use polarized sunglasses...

Last edited by Ripred; 11-07-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Make sure youi like the color/carpets on the interior. I had ordered a 2009 with beige, and once it came in all that beige carpet made me change my mind... love AD too.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Get Adaptive Drive if you can afford it. Adaptive Drive enables a car to be both comfortable and sporty at the same time. That is the purpose of adaptive side of everything. According to BMW's own materials, when you go straight line, you really don't get much more information by having stiff suspension. Rather, why not just make suspension softer by absorbing bumps on the road. The adaptive anti-roll bar does it one step more. it enable a de-coupled axle which makes it a 4 wheel fully independent suspension system. This means a bump on the left side is not transmitted to the right side producing another shock to the chasis.

I loved the technology. It was one of the reason why I got X5. If I can't get Adaptive Drive, I told myself I won't get an X5. I would get an X3 with adaptive suspension (dynamic damper control.)

To be fair, I believe you only need with larger car/SUVs. You will need it with X5. I am not so convinced that you need it with 3 series and X3 since it does add weight and complexity.

The comfort access is really nice touch. 3rd row gets you self leveling suspension and it supposed to help with comfort over bumps. I am not so convinced of that, but I like self leveling suspension idea.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
I noticed you also have running board. Consumer Reports think that it is not useful and interfere with going in and out. I did not get that because of that. I don't miss that at all. So, it may not be as important as you think it is.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Ac***** ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
I noticed you also have running board. Consumer Reports think that it is not useful and interfere with going in and out. I did not get that because of that. I don't miss that at all. So, it may not be as important as you think it is.
It may be useful if you have small children. Otherwise they are pretty useless and will only make your legs dirty (especially in bad weather) if you won't step on them when you get out of car.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripred View Post
. . . Adaptive drive is basically an electronically adjustable suspension... We have our X5 without it - the stock suspension is perfectly comfortable even on NYC streets (the car has 19" Michelin RFT's). You should drive both types of X5, with AD and without, and see which one you prefer.
There is a significant difference in ride quality between a 19 inch and 20 inch run flats. IMO, if appearance is not an issue, 19 inch non-run flats with AD is what I would go for. Yes in this setup you can't have the 3rd row.

Quote:
Since your wife would be driving it - I would also get Active Steering option, it makes steering less "firm".
This does not apply to OP as he is not getting a diesel . . . active steering is not available on diesel X5s.

Quote:
HUD option is very nice to have - you can always keep your eyes on a road instead of looking at instrument panel (for stuff like your current speed or warning messages or navigation directions), . . . .
+1

Last edited by RPsX5d; 11-07-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Ac***** ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post

This does not apply to OP as he is not getting a diesel . . . active steering is not available on diesel X5s.

His attachment shows X5 35i Premium... It has such option available, that's why I recommended it.

Last edited by Ripred; 11-07-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Ac***** ******

Last edited by Ripred; 11-07-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Delete, double post
Old 11-08-2012, 12:35 AM

Thank you Guys!! I really appreciate your input. Since this is my first BMW, all the information is overwhelming

- On AD, I guess I will keep it. Greg Poland was telling me I don't need adaptive drive if I'm not hauling a trailer.

- I will add luxury seating to it.

- Question on 3rd row, how much leg space is there w/adult sitting in 3rd row? Is it comfortable with 5'6'' adult. Btw 3rd seat is must have for my case.

- I need to look into 20 inch wheels. Should I look into 20 inch run flats due to ride quality? Appearance is not an issue; 19 inch will fly.

- Yes I have 9 and 5 yrs old that's why added running board.

- On Interior color, would you pls. suggest me best combination for space gray metallic ext. color? When played with different combination on bmwusa.com
o Cinnamon Brown Roof is grey color, seats are brown. Same with Tobacco Nevada. Doesn't it look weird? I still need to go and check car at dealership with diff. color combination.
o Wife doesn't like black.
o Only option left is Oyster Nevada leather.

Last edited by abhik; 11-08-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:23 AM
Ac***** ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post

- I will add luxury seating to it.
You can also add Multi-Contour seats as a stand-alone option, which would be cheaper... Though you won't get perforated leather for this.

Oyster leather is a beautiful one, but it's kinda bright - dirt/stains will be easily visible on it, so... Not sure if you'd want that with small children Unless your wife will be ok with cleaning it herself as often as needed

Last edited by Ripred; 11-08-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
You have young kids get black interior.Kids are dirt magnets and leave a trail everywhere they go.
Oyster to light.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
My opinion and my opinion only but AD is overrated . I would say make your own assumptions by testing a X5 with AD before ordering. With that said I didn't get it because I did not "like" the way it felt and drove.

Good luck.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
My opinion and my opinion only but AD is overrated . I would say make your own assumptions by testing a X5 with AD before ordering. With that said I didn't get it because I did not "like" the way it felt and drove.

Good luck.
Thanks Kzang, I will do test drive this weekend.

Since you have the space gray metallic in premium. Would you send me interior pictures for cinnamon brown, with roof and front dash board included. thanks much!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Stuart in Houston

Send a message via AIM to astrohip
Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Tech package..pass (who really NEEDS a heads up display anyway).
Once you've had HUD...

I ordered HUD on my 2007 550i. Mainly 'cause I like gimmicks. It turned out to be my favorite add-on. I will never buy a car without it if given a choice. The ability to drive without taking your eyes off the road, and still get speed and other info, is simply incredible.

YMMV, but I absolutely love it. And one hears this same reaction from many people who bought it as part of a package, or as an afterthought, and it turned into a must-have for them.

Prior BMWs
2009 X5 4.8 White (w/hitch)
2007 550i Monaco Blue, Sport
2004 X5 4.4i
2003 540i M-Sport w/Dinan mods (last of the great E39's)
2002 X5 3.0
2000 540i Sport
1995 525i Sport
1991 325is
1986 325es
Old 11-08-2012, 08:14 AM

Not sure what you looking for exactly buy here are a few pictures I took when I first got it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1352391006.005370.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	348756   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1352391036.803806.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	348758   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1352391076.853314.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	348759   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1352391140.490572.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	348760   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1352391198.522586.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	348761  

2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
His attachment shows X5 35i Premium... It has such option available, that's why I recommended it.
My mistake, my comment was poorly worded . . . what I meant to say - this does not apply to OP as he is not getting a diesel . . . but if someone is getting a diesel, active steering is not an available option.

I meant that comment mainly for folks who, like OP, might be building out their X5 but wants a diesel. Didn't want them wondering why this option is not showing up on the build page.

Thanks for catching this . . .
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Once you've had HUD...

I ordered HUD on my 2007 550i. Mainly 'cause I like gimmicks. It turned out to be my favorite add-on. I will never buy a car without it if given a choice. The ability to drive without taking your eyes off the road, and still get speed and other info, is simply incredible.

YMMV, but I absolutely love it. And one hears this same reaction from many people who bought it as part of a package, or as an afterthought, and it turned into a must-have for them.
I've driven loaners for a week or so with HUD. It is a cool feature no doubt but I still think it is a gimmick and the novelty would be short lived and not something that is absolutely needed. I mean you still need to look away from the road to do many other things anyway.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Thank you Guys!! I really appreciate your input. Since this is my first BMW, all the information is overwhelming

- On AD, I guess I will keep it. Greg Poland was telling me I don't need adaptive drive if I'm not hauling a trailer.
AD is one of the least understood options - particularly amongst the sales folks. Yes it will impact trailering, cornering, high speed handling, etc etc (stuff most average drivers will never encounter/attempt) . . . but it also impacts straight line driving at steady speeds on roads that are slight bumpy.

One option is to use non-runflats with thicker sidewalls (as in 18 or 19 inch rims) . . . let the tire's sidewall cushion out some of those bumps. In my case we needed the 3rd row and I liked the looks of Option 214 . . . that meant we were stuck with 20 inch RFTs. AD is then your only option to smooth out the ride. Is it a nightmare without AD - no . . . but I certainly would have got it if I knew what I know today.

BTW Greg Poland, Pacific BMW was my internet salesperson. Three sales folks prior to Greg told me to stay away from AD - maintenance, initial cost, etc etc. Greg, despite his AD views, is a superb sales person (does not engage in high pressure sales tactics, perfect internet sales guy), sure recommend him. As far as AD goes - the mistake I made - I found this forum a couple of months after I got the car! My mistake, can't blame others for it.

Trouble with AD . . . this is a customer ordered option, meaning you are not likely to find one on a test car. If you are lucky you may find a dealer who has one on the lot the original buyer did not take delivery. Your best bet - listen to folks who have it . . . example - ard has commented on this option several times.

Quote:
- Question on 3rd row, how much leg space is there w/adult sitting in 3rd row? Is it comfortable with 5'6'' adult. Btw 3rd seat is must have for my case.
I am 6 feet tall, I have sat on the passenger side 3rd row seat for a 2 hour ride. Is it comfortable - no, is it doable - yes. You need to move the front and middle passenger seats forward . . . or have the shortest person drive the car and slide the middle driver seat forward. My issues with the 3rd row seat are - seat back is near vertical, no lean; seat height from floor is very little, forcing the knee to be at or above waist level when sitting. 3rd row is really meant for children and for short hauls . . . not good for a long ride - even for children.

Quote:
- I need to look into 20 inch wheels. Should I look into 20 inch run flats due to ride quality? Appearance is not an issue; 19 inch will fly.
If appearance is not an issue , your best bet IMO - 19 inch, non-runflats with AD. Given 3rd row is a must, you are stuck with RFTs. So in your case I would suggest 19 inch with AD.
Quote:
o Only option left is Oyster Nevada leather.
We have the black sapphire with Oyster Nevada and bamboo. We absolutely love it! We also have the anthracite roof . . . surprisingly very easy to clean. I got the Scotchguard coating put on the seats soon after we bought the car. Initially the seat surface felt a bit waxy but after that it was fine - either the wax wore out or we got used to it. Car is now 28 months old, 42,000+ miles and we have a then 7 year old who still eats in the car . . . zero problem keeping the seats spotlessly clean. I typically wash the car every 12-14 days, at the end I wipe the seats with the wet microfiber towel. Every six months or so I use a leather cleaner and conditioner.

I am with astrohip regarding HUD. +1000

Last edited by RPsX5d; 11-08-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Not sure what you looking for exactly buy here are a few pictures I took when I first got it.
Thanks Kzang for the pics.

Is the roof color Gray? if you have picture of 2nd and 3rd row with roof visible in it. Can you post it?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
AD is one of the least understood options - particularly amongst the sales folks. Yes it will impact trailering, cornering, high speed handling, etc etc (stuff most average drivers will never encounter/attempt) . . . but it also impacts straight line driving at steady speeds on roads that are slight bumpy.

One option is to use non-runflats with thicker sidewalls (as in 18 or 19 inch rims) . . . let the tire's sidewall cushion out some of those bumps. In my case we needed the 3rd row and I liked the looks of Option 214 . . . that meant we were stuck with 20 inch RFTs. AD is then your only option to smooth out the ride. Is it a nightmare without AD - no . . . but I certainly would have got it if I knew what I know today.

BTW Greg Poland, Pacific BMW was my internet salesperson. Three sales folks prior to Greg told me to stay away from AD - maintenance, initial cost, etc etc. Greg, despite his AD views, is a superb sales person (does not engage in high pressure sales tactics, perfect internet sales guy), sure recommend him. As far as AD goes - the mistake I made - I found this forum a couple of months after I got the car! My mistake, can't blame others for it.

Trouble with AD . . . this is a customer ordered option, meaning you are not likely to find one on a test car. If you are lucky you may find a dealer who has one on the lot the original buyer did not take delivery. Your best bet - listen to folks who have it . . . example - ard has commented on this option several times.

I am 6 feet tall, I have sat on the passenger side 3rd row seat for a 2 hour ride. Is it comfortable - no, is it doable - yes. You need to move the front and middle passenger seats forward . . . or have the shortest person drive the car and slide the middle driver seat forward. My issues with the 3rd row seat are - seat back is near vertical, no lean; seat height from floor is very little, forcing the knee to be at or above waist level when sitting. 3rd row is really meant for children and for short hauls . . . not good for a long ride - even for children.

If appearance is not an issue , your best bet IMO - 19 inch, non-runflats with AD. Given 3rd row is a must, you are stuck with RFTs. So in your case I would suggest 19 inch with AD.

We have the black sapphire with Oyster Nevada and bamboo. We absolutely love it! We also have the anthracite roof . . . surprisingly very easy to clean. I got the Scotchguard coating put on the seats soon after we bought the car. Initially the seat surface felt a bit waxy but after that it was fine - either the wax wore out or we got used to it. Car is now 28 months old, 42,000+ miles and we have a then 7 year old who still eats in the car . . . zero problem keeping the seats spotlessly clean. I typically wash the car every 12-14 days, at the end I wipe the seats with the wet microfiber towel. Every six months or so I use a leather cleaner and conditioner.

I am with astrohip regarding HUD. +1000
Thank you RPS, Where do I see 214 wheels. Under accessories only 215 shows up.

EXTERIOR AND WHEELS BMW Double Spoke 215 in Ferric Grey Wheel and Tire Set $6,909
BMW Double Spoke 215 in Ferric Grey Wheel and Tire Set $6,909

Alloy, cast, 21 inches. 10 x 21, 385/35R21W front; 11.5 x 21, 325/30R21W rear. RDC complete wheel set includes four wheels with RDC and Dunlop SP SportMaxx DSST tires. Driving over rough or damaged road surfaces, as well as debris, curbs and other obstacles can cause serious damage to wheels, tires and suspension parts. This is more likely to occur with low-profile tires, which provide less cushioning between the wheel and the road. Be careful to avoid road hazards and reduce your speed, especially if your vehicle is equipped with low-profile tires.
Each price is the suggested retail price and is subject to change. Price excludes installation and taxes.
You have selected the following:
BMW Double Spoke 215 in Ferric Grey Wheel and Tire Set
By adding this selection, you will also:
BMW Star Spoke 128 Chrome-Plated $7,403
BMW Star Spoke 128 Chrome-Plated $7,403

Alloy, cast. 21 inches. 10J x 21, 285/35R21 front; 11.5J x 21E, 325/30R21 rear. This ultra-durable wheel sets new standards in chrome-blending luxury, elegance and sporty sylting all in one dramitc accessory. RDC complete wheel set includes four wheels with RDC and Dunlop SP SportMaxx DSST tires. Only in combination with self leveling suspension, Option 220. Driving over rough or damaged road surfaces, as well as debris, curbs and other obstacles can cause serious damage to wheels, tires and suspension parts. This is more likely to occur with low-profile tires, which provide less cushioning between the wheel and the road. Be careful to avoid road hazards and reduce your speed, especially if your vehicle is equipped with low-profile tires.
Each price is the suggested retail price and is subject to change. Price excludes installation and taxes.
BMW Star Spoke 128 Chrome-Plated
BMW Double Spoke 215 in Black Wheel and Tire Set $6,909
BMW Double Spoke 215 in Black Wheel and Tire Set $6,909

Alloy, cast. 21 inches. 10 x 21, 385/35R21W front; 11.5 x 21, 325/30R21W rear. RDC complete wheel set includes four wheels with RDC and Dunlop SP SportMaxx DSST tires. Driving over rough or damaged road surfaces, as well as debris, curbs and other obstacles can cause serious damage to wheels, tires and suspension parts. This is more likely to occur with low-profile tires, which provide less cushioning between the wheel and the road. Be careful to avoid road hazards and reduce your speed, especially if your vehicle is equipped with low-profile tires.
BMW Double Spoke 215 in Black Wheel and Tire Set
BMW Double Spoke 239 Wheel and Tire Set $6,753
BMW Double Spoke 239 Wheel and Tire Set $6,753

Alloy, cast. 21 inches. 10 x 21, 285/35R2W front; 11.5 x 21, 325/30R21W rear. RDC complete wheel set includes four wheels with RDC and Dunlop SP SportMaxx DSST tires. Driving over rough or damaged road surfaces, as well as debris, curbs and other obstacles can cause serious damage to wheels, tires and suspension parts. This is more likely to occur with low-profile tires, which provide less cushioning between the wheel and the road. Be careful to avoid road hazards and reduce your speed, especially if your vehicle is equipped with low-profile tires.
BMW Double Spoke 239 Wheel and Tire Set
BMW Star Spoke 128 in Mid-Night Chrome Wheel and Tire Set $7,488
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Thank you RPS, Where do I see 214 wheels. Under accessories only 215 shows up. . . .
Looks like Option 214 only shows up under X5 xDrive35d and X5 xDrive50i under Packages => Sports Activity Package => 20" Light Alloy Y Spoke Wheels. See attached file.

These build webpages are not always accurate, so double check with your sales person.

Comments about low profile tires being more susceptible to bending is true - I had one go out on me . . . replacement cost ~$700 for the rims. Since then I have not had any go out . . . I view this as part of the cost of liking these low profile tires. None of my previous cars (none with low profile tires) had a bent rim . . . cumulative miles about 400,000.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW X5 Wheel Option 214.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	348768  
Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks Kzang for the pics.

Is the roof color Gray? if you have picture of 2nd and 3rd row with roof visible in it. Can you post it?

Thanks
Yep the upper interior is grey. If you are worried that it clashes with my current interior then don't worry about it. I don't hardly notice it.