Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Ferrari 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Yep the upper interior is grey. If you are worried that it clashes with my current interior then don't worry about it. I don't hardly notice it.
ok thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Once you've had HUD...

I ordered HUD on my 2007 550i. Mainly 'cause I like gimmicks. It turned out to be my favorite add-on. I will never buy a car without it if given a choice. The ability to drive without taking your eyes off the road, and still get speed and other info, is simply incredible.

YMMV, but I absolutely love it. And one hears this same reaction from many people who bought it as part of a package, or as an afterthought, and it turned into a must-have for them.
What you are talking about are "nice to haves", not MUST haves. A "nice" feature is just that...a LUXURY that you buy IF you can afford it. Must HAVEs are things that are NEEDED on the car to make it VIABLE for daily driving and/or resale values.

Most people have to make cost vs. benefit decisions. I've seen folks "claim" that AD & HUD are MUST HAVEs for some. That's fine (for THEM) but I am also fairly certain that those selecting those "premium" options aren't trying to decide what HAS to be left out in order to make up for those additional $s. The LARGER MAJORITY of buyers have a budget they are working from (e.g. a "well equipped" X5 for UNDER $57K). Would you drop the Navigation so that you could AFFORD HUD? Of COURSE NOT! Would you drop the premium stereo AND the sports package just so that you could afford the AD on a particular SUV? Also, VERY unlikely & THAT is my point....

Who is going to buy a USED high line car that has AD & HUD but doesn't have Navigation or a quality Stereo? AD & Tech packages are "just fine" if you have enough cash to blow that you are going to buy EVERY option anyway but I don't think ANYONE will be sacrificing a Navi just so that they can equip their X5 with AD. If they did, they would HAVE to either be leasing it or...well, idiots as the resale value on such a configuration would be abysmal, right?

Are HUD & AD nice features if you have cash left over AFTER you have built your ideal vehicle? Of course. No doubt. IF you have the extra $'s available then GO FOR IT. But if on the other hand you are already bumping your head against the highest payment you can COMFORTABLY afford then don't add any additional stuff to it making your monthly payments a nightmare!

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Ac***** ******

Mein Auto: .
For some people who (due to their unique leg/arm/body size proportions) can't adjust steering wheel without it significantly obstructing the instrument panel in front of them the HUD is actually "a must" option For the rest - yea, it's a "nice to have" option, but it's a very nice one to have. For example, I'd rather sacrifice heated seats/steering wheel or redundant stuff like satellite radio or "BMW Apps" or fancy 30" "spinners" instead of skipping the HUD

Last edited by Ripred; 11-08-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:56 AM

Thanks Guys,

So what should be reasonable offer? Wholesale invoice + 500 ?? + Maco fee?

Isn't Maco fee part of invoice/wholesale price? or I need to add another 400 or so?

Thanks again!!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripred View Post
You can also add Multi-Contour seats as a stand-alone option, which would be cheaper... Though you won't get perforated leather for this.

Oyster leather is a beautiful one, but it's kinda bright - dirt/stains will be easily visible on it, so... Not sure if you'd want that with small children Unless your wife will be ok with cleaning it herself as often as needed

We have a 2011 Alpine White w/Oyster Nevada interior with the burlwood trim. Premium trim level including comfort package, technology package, cold weather package and premium audio.

The interior is simply beautiful. My kida though are 16 and 14 with the 16 year old having his own car now.

Our last car was a 2004 Toyota Landcruiser with tan interior. The interior showed the effects of 9 years of traveling with young kids., and I am anal about keeping my cars clean, but there is only so much you can do. I also appreciate that most people don't hold onto their cars for 9 years anymore.

I'm not sure we would have chosen Oyster if our kids were younger.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Thanks Guys,

So what should be reasonable offer? Wholesale invoice + 500 ?? + Maco fee?

Isn't Maco fee part of invoice/wholesale price? or I need to add another 400 or so?

Thanks again!!
MACO is NOT part of the BMW config tool and your dealer will argue that he has to pay those as part of HIS invoice cost. Not certain how legit that is but have heard that midwest dealers don't have to pay MACO (for some reason) which might allow them to waive it.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
You are missing a very important option: HEATED STEERING WHEEL (comes with the Cold Weather Pkg). Trust me, if you live in Seattle you will thank me later. Even in Atlanta, turning the heater on on early cold mornings is pure bliss. Didn't know what I was missing with previous cars.

Will echo others: Multi-contour seats and AD are must have's. Added: I would have chosen the active steering, but unfortunately not available with diesel.

Our build sheet on a 2012 was
Space Grey
Black
Light Poplar
Cold Weather Pkg
Multi-contour seats
Adaptive Drive
Spare tire

You are in excellent hands with Greg P. Good luck!

Last edited by finnbmw; 11-09-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:25 PM

Thanks again everyone!!
Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 AM

Guys,

so go with build #1 then?