Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
Motor oil in Power Steering!!

I was driving on the interstate and got the message OIL AT MINIMUM LEVEL. I pulled into an auto store and got a quart of Mobil 1 5w 30 and accidently put about a 1/4 cup in the power steering resevoir. I drove about 150 miles. When I got back home, I took it to my Indy and had the oil changed and the power steering flushed.

My concern is, can I expect major problems with my ps in the future? Should I sell the car now to avoid major expense down the road?

What would you do??
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
That is a tough question? I don't know if the Pentison fluid is compatible with the Mobil1 oil? My guess would be no, but I would not take a chance. I would flush the power steering/dynamic drive multiple times to make sure. Damage to the dynamic drive system would be your worst fear. That could get very expensive, fast. I would try to drain & flush the system for at least 3 times, & hope for the best!

Good Luck!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: '05 645i convert
I wouldn't worry

I wouldn't worry too much. If you ran the car continuously with the wrong fluids then damage could happen, but barring any chemical reaction between the two fluids, I would bet that there will be no damage at all.

If there were some reaction that mattered, it would take the form of breaking down the viscocity of the fresh fluid, or would create precipitates (globs). You will be able to see this by looking in the reservoir, and by pulling the dipstick and seeing the fluid on the tip. If it looks OK, it is virtually sure to be OK.

From a chemistry point of view, the makers, and the standards bodies, try hard to make all of these petroleum derived fluids fairly compatible because mixing is apt to happen... either due to brand changes when refilling, or even errors like yours.

If it makes you feel better, I once added ATF to my wife's new (to us) minivan's crankcase and oil to the tranny. Noticed because the thing started to smell like ATF like you have no idea which made me triple check. Anyway, re-drained the respective parts, learned which filler was which, and put in fresh fluid... after a couple hundred miles. And it still works great 100,000 miles later... and now has 164,000 miles.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Chemical reaction would be the biggest problem to be concerned with. Mobil1 is a PAO type oil, & I do not know what the Pentison makeup is. If the two are not compatible, the TAN level could spike causing a serious problem. If the Pentison is a Ester based oil, it could cause the seals to fall apart clogging the dynamic drive passages. Like I said this could be a very expensive problem. Flush the system several times just to be safe.

Good Luck!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:54 PM

Driving to work this morning I got the Dynamic Drive warning. When I was going home, it never came up! I am curious if maybe the car was just cycling through the new ATF fluid.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Like Herb said, I would flush the entire system at least 3 times, it not more. It might cost few hundred $ but that is nothing compared to the $5K+ in repairs if the steering rack and/or the dynamic anti-roll bar system needs replacing.

Hopefully the dynamic drive error was related to fluid levels only. I would check the PS fluid level.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM

Thanks guys. The fluid level was low. No more messages on the I drive.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
A friend of mine that had a 6 here locally told me he did the same thing, put a bit of oil in the power steering when he first got the car, probably about the same amount since you can't put a lot in that reservoir. His car was under full warranty then an aftermarket warranty so he just moved on, ignored it completely. In the 4 years he owned the car he never had an issue. No flush. Of course, since he was under warranty, if anything happened he would have feigned ignorance.

He has since sold his car, but if it didn't crap out in 4 years I don't think it ever will...just offering up a less ominous outlook should you care to hear.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Can't help it, I'm paranoid when it comes to fluids.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater