Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5 4.8is
Smile Looking to buy an X5

Hey guys, so I am looking around for SUV's, i was looking for something that had decent power in terms of performance, but still had good features and styling.

So far i looked at the early 2000's Mercedes ML55 AMG, 2001-2003 X5 4.6is, and now ive decided on a 2004+ 4.8IS.

Reason being behind all that, i love amg, but i feel like the older ML's styling is more woman like vs the x5's angular lines.

And the 4.8is over the 4.6is being one, that its a little bit of a newer car, 2 better performance, and 3 has the 6spd trans vs 5spd.

What id like to know is, what are common issues with these cars to look for, and estimates for those parts?

I do all the work on my cars myself, and i dont take them anywhere except for alignments and to mount tires, so im not worried about the labor costs as that usually makes the prices skyrocket. Also i own an Audi so im "used" to i could say, working on german cars.

Im wondering about pricing the most, because on my audi everyone says things are expensive, but after i have finally owned one, its a big lie, parts arent anymore expensive then any japanese car, just sometimes may be a pain to change/fix something but you get through it, only thing thats expensive is if you take it to a shop to get worked on, like the previous owner did and her bills were huge.

But yeah any of you knowledgable ones on the e53 chassis, if you could chime in on common issues, what to check when purchasing, some prices on common parts, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 s55 AMG,02 540i
Hello, I too wanted an X5 for my wife.. but after reading this----> http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=651109 you may change your mind
Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: X5, 750il
ah don't be scared by that. If you're a DYI'er you can do the work and buy your parts from a good place like BMA. The one thing I'd say to look at for functioning is the sunroof of the car - especially the panoramic variety. If I'm not mistaken, those first came out sometime late in 2004 and the repair on them (which I'm in the middle of right now) is intensive. Indies will quote around $4K and the dealership $5k because they'll just replace the whole "cassette" and give you the "business" - if you know what I mean. There are replacement kits that cost <$600 to do the same job.

My wife only has the 3.0i - but she is extremely happy with the car, and other than the sunroof, have been satisfied so far.