Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM
One Bad 3

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Explain the Fuel System- Tank, Expansion tank, ventilation, charcoal cannister, etc.

I have a fun chalenge for someone bored on a Tuesday...

My wife's 01 X5 is in the shop. Smell of gas that is out of the ordinary. Separately, oftentimes while filling the X5 will "pop" and act as if the tank is full, even though it is only 1/2 full. Yet other times the tank will fill and overflow into the filling well and run out in front of the rear tire (overflow)??

In any event, dealer and an indy shop are unsure on how to fix this.

Can someone please explain to to me all the workings of the Fuel tank/fuel filling/fuel supply/ventilation system?

Attached is what I can find of the diagramn, but I cant make heads or tails of how all the parts play together and what tehy do...

Alot more complex than my initial thoughts of line into tank to fill line out of tank to engine...

Thansk guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Tank.png
Views:	110
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	348596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Vent System.png
Views:	107
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	348597  

Hers:
2001 X5 3.0 | Titanium Silver | Grey Dakota Leather | Premium | Activity Package| Climate Package | >200,000 miles |... and lots of repairs!
Ads by Google
Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750iL
Not familiar with the X5, but E38 owners also know about the fuel tank 'bong' which arises because of partial collapse of the tank as fuel is consumed, then suddenly released. This usually results in fuel tank leakage from splitting. I have seen and participated in other discussions on this subject, but no-one has yet been able to identify the exact cause. Because of this some UK owners, including me, have drilled a small hole in the tank cap to provde venting-not ideal, but it saves the tank until the correct solution is found. This may not be for you though due to emissions.