Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 325ci
Painting center console?

Has anyone ever repainted it? Cupholders anything like that? Is it like a latex paint or something because it's got that layer that's peeling off. If not that what's the best paint to use for something that this?
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Our former member Smolck changed the color of his entire interior, and detailed the whole process on this Forum. That was maybe 6 or 7 years ago, if you search around a bit, you can probably find it.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci 5-Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorTheGod View Post
Has anyone ever repainted it? Cupholders anything like that? Is it like a latex paint or something because it's got that layer that's peeling off. If not that what's the best paint to use for something that this?
Im going to do this soon. Mine looks like crap. You need to get rid of that rubber layer first by scrubbing it with 409 and water (It takes some time). Once its gone then you can spray the console with whatever color "Vinyl and plastic" paint from your local auto store.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Here's an E39 thread on painting the trim, with tons of pictures...
-Painting trim (1)
Old 04-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
The parts are cheap, just replace them. I bought a new center console for mine for like $40 a bunch of years ago... seems they are around $65 now. And the cupholder is about $35. So for $100 you get brand new stuff.

http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mo...id=47710&hg=51

Scroll down to Center Armrest/Storage Trays section and click on the graphic. I had an armrest in mine from the factory, but wanted to remove it so I bought the short version and a mounting bracket.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin

Last edited by jvr826; 04-21-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto:
I re painted my cup holders. Ashtray and sunglasses storage and trim. The easiest way I got the peeling rubber coating off was the orange hand cleaner and scrubber it cam with for finger nails and mixed it with goo gone. Came right off. Then painted all pieces with satin black. It matched well and my car had the silver carbon fiber trim so it looked great when finished