Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-14-2008, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 325ti Compact Sport
Question Problem with the door sensor?

My car is constantly saying that the drivers door is open, when its not. And because of this I cannot lock the car with the key and therefore activate the alarm.
Im guessing its a problem with the door sensor but BMW want 136 an hour to find the problem....
Anybody had this problem or suggest ways of fixing it?

I have a E46 2004 325ti.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
See if you can find the part @ www.realoem.com/bmw ... (I spent a few mins looking, couldn't locate it). It can't be that expensive to just buy and replace. Maybe you can just pop out the current one and clean the contacts?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzy1 View Post
My car is constantly saying that the drivers door is open, when its not. And because of this I cannot lock the car with the key and therefore activate the alarm.
Im guessing its a problem with the door sensor but BMW want 136 an hour to find the problem....
Anybody had this problem or suggest ways of fixing it?

I have a E46 2004 325ti.

Thanks.
Is this affecting just the warning display or the interior lighting as well?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 325ti Compact Sport
I've tried cleaning the contacts but no luck.....
It affects everything, its as if the door is actually open when its not, so it affects the interior light as well.

Also has anybody got any tips or guide for opening up the door?

Thanks.

Last edited by Muzzy1; 11-15-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325 ci
Did you ever get a resolution to this issue? I have the same problem.

It is really cold and it's been rainy/icy lately so I'm wondering if the sensor is froze up or if it's really broken. I don't want to take it to the dealer if I can possibly fix it.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci
I'm having the same problem too, but in my case, the dashboard light doesn't indicate when my driver side door is ajar... this is effecting the 1/4 inch drop with the window and alarm system.

It's PISSING me off!

Where is the door sensor located? (I'm guessing in the nook of the door where the latch enters)
Old 01-02-2009, 07:31 AM

I talked to a service tech at my dealership...

The sensor is located in the door latch itself. I tried messing around with it, but there's not much there. You'd have to take the door panel off and get inside there to really do anything.

The tech also told me that sometimes in cold weather, especially in the coupes, the weather stripping will expand out. So he recommended just pushing it in with your hand to make sure the door gets all the way shut.

I did all of that and it seems to have fixed my problem. I haven't gotten it for a few days now. (keeping my fingers crossed.)

The tech did say it would be $500-1000 to replace that sensor, he did one on an x5 for $800 recently he said. So there's an idea of what you might pay to have it fixed.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddycrabs View Post
The sensor is located in the door latch itself. I tried messing around with it, but there's not much there. You'd have to take the door panel off and get inside there to really do anything.
Ok, here's a trick from my Lincoln Mark VIII days. Those cars were infamous for their recurring "door ajar" propensity and the cure there may also work for the Bimmers. In that case, the sensor is just a plain N/O switch that closes when the latch engages properly. With the dust/dirt/grease/grime, the plunger doesn't move freely, so what we did was flood the latch area where the sensor is located with WD40 to dissolve the crud, working the door and spraying till the problem disappeared. Then, very important, you would flood the area with high quality silicone spray lubricant to displace the WD40 and leave a lubricating film. This last step is important, cause the WD40 will evaporate/dry out and things will get sticky again. Mind you that by flooding I mean spraying till it starts dripping abundantly out the bottom of the door.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00089.html
Old 01-02-2009, 02:03 PM

Excellent tip. When I was messing around in there I noticed all the "grease" (I assume actually the silicone that you described). So in moving that around I must have loosened up any stickiness. I'll try your suggestion if I have further problems.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertildeath View Post
I'm having the same problem too, but in my case, the dashboard light doesn't indicate when my driver side door is ajar... this is effecting the 1/4 inch drop with the window and alarm system.

It's PISSING me off!

Where is the door sensor located? (I'm guessing in the nook of the door where the latch enters)
Did you find out where this sensor is?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: E38
Door open sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by naderro View Post
Did you find out where this sensor is?
Just put the silicon spry in the door latch mechanism
http://concertk.com.ua/images/door.jpg

Can do it for all doors - fixed
Old 01-29-2012, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 E46 325ci sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alebur View Post
Just put the silicon spry in the door latch mechanism
http://concertk.com.ua/images/door.jpg

Can do it for all doors - fixed
Had same problem tried both the wd-40 then silicone spray an the passenger door still does it
set alarm off other day repeatedly which I thought was sensor under bonnet/hood so unplugged it, but now I see it's gotta b the sensor making the alarm think the doors opening...!!
Anything else you'd suggest trying?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 323ci 2000 (e46)
This needs a genius maybe, im completely puzzed...

Problem: Even though the drivers door of my e46 coupe is unlocked, it wont open (neither from the outside nor from the inside).

Extra info:
1). Surprisingly, suddenly at times it starts opening normally! but then after a short while back to the same problem (unlocked but not opening neither from the inside or the outside).

2). I unlock my car manually using the key (since the remote battery seems to be dead) but it unlocks fine and I've been doing it long before this problem.

3). The central lock only opens the passenger door and not the drivers door. However, this is recent and the original problem existed before this issue.

Any help what the problem could be? And what parts I need to change? ...something electrical or mechanical, or both :o ?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330CI
Door Sensor and window issue

I tried using WD40 in the latch and it would work intermetedly, so I loosened the latch and sprayed more WD40 in the mechanism. By loosing the mechanism, this allowed the WD40 to work in those places where grease and dirt would accumulate. I blew it out with air and tightened it back up and the sensor seems to work fine! The window adjusts (for opening and closing the door), lights come on when the door is opened, and the onboard monitor system correctly shows when the door is ajar.

That's for the help and advice!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourcoul View Post
Ok, here's a trick from my Lincoln Mark VIII days. Those cars were infamous for their recurring "door ajar" propensity and the cure there may also work for the Bimmers. In that case, the sensor is just a plain N/O switch that closes when the latch engages properly. With the dust/dirt/grease/grime, the plunger doesn't moveFor freely, so what we did was flood the latch area where the sensor is located with WD40 to dissolve the crud, working the door and spraying till the problem disappeared. Then, very important, you would flood the area with high quality silicone spray lubricant to displace the WD40 and leave a lubricating film. This last step is important, cause the WD40 will evaporate/dry out and things will get sticky again. Mind you that by flooding I mean spraying till it starts dripping abundantly out the bottom of the door.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00089.html
Thanks a million for posting this. Had and issue on a long drive home after golfing, door sensor on dash illuminated showing drivers door ajar but shut tight. The window kept rolling up and down just a bit as if opening and closing door every few seconds and the door ajar would go away simultaneously.
When I got home I googled and found this thread. I sprayed the hell out of it with Wd40 and opened and closed the door numerous times, til spray dripping down. Still wouldn't lock or show door closed. Went to sleep wondering what's next. After I wake, go out to car and window is up, condition cured itself and hadn't come back in a week. Door shuts great now. At Wal-Mart now to buy silicone spray do I don't push my lock...I mean luck...
Old 08-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 323i
Problem with the door sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocratesRising View Post
Thanks a million for posting this. Had and issue on a long drive home after golfing, door sensor on dash illuminated showing drivers door ajar but shut tight. The window kept rolling up and down just a bit as if opening and closing door every few seconds and the door ajar would go away simultaneously.
When I got home I googled and found this thread. I sprayed the hell out of it with Wd40 and opened and closed the door numerous times, til spray dripping down. Still wouldn't lock or show door closed. Went to sleep wondering what's next. After I wake, go out to car and window is up, condition cured itself and hadn't come back in a week. Door shuts great now. At Wal-Mart now to buy silicone spray do I don't push my lock...I mean luck...
The hall effect sensor and/or magnet is going bad. Just replace the actuator. WD-40 is not a fix.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 95 540I
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
The hall effect sensor and/or magnet is going bad. Just replace the actuator. WD-40 is not a fix.
Thank you for finally mentioning to not use WD-40, this crap is the worst stuff in the world to use. It causes rust and corrosion, it should be banned.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:49 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post

I wouldn't be so sure. It has been nine months and I haven't had an issue with it yet. It is worth a try with the WD40 in my opinion.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Opposite problem with my car. 3 of my doors don't trigger the check control or turn on the dome lights. Could the sensor get stuck closed? I thought it was magnetic... Any help would be awesome!