Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Wheel / Tire experts here?

I recently lucked out on a find from Craigslist.

Found 17" wheels for my snow tires that apparently used to be used on a BMW X5.

Center bore is a match, along with bolt pattern. (They are not BMW wheels, though they look similar to the early X5 model 17" wheels)

The differences are what I'm curious about. Instead of my stock wheel size of 17x8, they are 17x8.5 and the offset is et43 instead of et46.

The offset doesn't concern me, however the slightly wider wheel shows a noticeable decrease in my sidewall flex since it's stretched over slightly.

What I am curious about is whether this is a problem (though I doubt it is?) and whether or not my tire pressures should be lowered slightly for the increased sidewall stretch?

I tried looking through Google, but not sure how to sift through the wealth of hits to drill down to the info I want.

Last edited by Wongway; 11-14-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Check out:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=198

The 8.5" wide X5 rims are within spec. for 235/55/17 tires, but at the upper limit.

I don't think you need to run decreased psi.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
During winter time you dont want a "wider" tire.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
You could run a 235/60r17 size tire if you want more sidewall. This is the size I use for my summer setup.

I wouldn't go below 29 psi on the front tire pressures and 32 on the rear as per the BMW manual recommendation.

Even a 225/65 r17 can work for a skinnier and taller tire. This is the size I use for my winter setup.

I should clarify that I'm using 17"x8" wheels.

Also, if you search on Michelin's website for example, it will show the safe "rim width" for each size tire under specifications.
If I look at Michelin Pilot MXM4 in 235/55r17 size it shows the safe rim anywhere between 6.5" and 8.5"

Last edited by mlukas161; 11-15-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
During winter time you dont want a "wider" tire.
Sorry, I wasn't asking about a wider tire. I was asking the effects of a wider wheel on a tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Check out:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=198

The 8.5" wide X5 rims are within spec. for 235/55/17 tires, but at the upper limit.

I don't think you need to run decreased psi.
Duh, thanks Supercourse. I didn't think to look on tirerack for information about tire tech, I'm too used to shopping and leaving to explore the site. That helps narrow searches a lot better than just Google!

Thanks a lot everyone for pointing me in the right direction!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Sorry, I wasn't asking about a wider tire. I was asking the effects of a wider wheel on a tire.

Duh, thanks Supercourse. I didn't think to look on tirerack for information about tire tech, I'm too used to shopping and leaving to explore the site. That helps narrow searches a lot better than just Google!

Thanks a lot everyone for pointing me in the right direction!
Cant go wrong with Tirerack and they stand behind their sales. I recently bought a set of Conti extremes and Wheels for just under $1500.00. They offered free balancing. Well the balancing wasnt right and I got hi speed wobble. Even though the balancing was FREE they still discounted my sale back to my card for the price I paid to have them re-balanced. Very impressive. I will recommend them any chance I get after that. Awesome CS.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more