Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2011, 12:15 PM
FrankAZ's Avatar
FrankAZ FrankAZ is offline
Liverpudlian at heart
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 525
Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sedan
Automatic all-door unlock upon driver door open

My wife has begun to drive my car more often. She has a strong preference for doors which automatically lock once she starts to drive. That is a non-negotiable feature behavior which she requires me to configure.

I don't like that because when I drive my car (most of the time) I am unable to train myself to unlock all the doors before I step out of the car. I dislike rummaging for my key (I have comfort access) to unlock a rear door so that I can remove my stuff. Leaning back into the car to hit the unlock button is even less convenient.

My question to the forum: Is there is a hidden or dealer-accessible setting which would (ideally) cause (automatically) locked doors to all unlock when the driver's door is opened? I would willingly pay to have that mode set.

My wife and I share the same key and keep the second key in a safe place out of use. When she drives it is sometimes because I have been drinking, most times it is because she just wants to and uses the key we have ready. Even if the door behavior is a function of the key identity that would not fit the way we use my car.

I suppose I could use one of my programmable buttons to toggle the 'lock on driving' check-box to save my having to delve into iDrive configurations each time, but that would mean unprogramming the button from another purpose. In any case, since I forget to unlock the doors before I get out the chances of my using that button are practically nil.

Anyone?

Frank.

(If there is a BMW Produktarchitekt trawling for ideas I hereby relinquish all rights and claims on the invention. I would enjoy being in the beta trial).
__________________
ED Vehicle: 328i Platinum Bronze / Beige / Light Burl | Sports (paddles) | Premium | Auto | Navigation | Fold-down seats | Alarm | Comfort Access | iPod integration.
ED Tour: 1st June - 13th July 2009. (Route map).
ED Progress: Delivery of M1100Z on 2nd June 2009; Drop off at Geneva 13th July; The journey home on 'Ryujin'; Redelivery 19th September.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,742
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Aren't most, or all, of these options described in the manual? Use your stalk to access the OBC (or iDrive if you got that, I don't), then scroll to the one that has the "key symbol". From there you should be able to program preferences for both outside/fob, and inside/dash-button.

Ok, it looks like you can program for your wife (if your car is like mine), the following options:

- automatic locking after "some time if no door has been opened"
- automatically lock as soon as you drive off
- or both of the above (whichever happens first)

There is a 4th option, perfect for you, and it simply called "off".

So, program one of the first three on your wife's fob, and the last on yours. If she has to use your fob, then I don't know what to say.

Do you have a manual?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,742
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
OK, I reread your post. Man, I guess I'm confused. I don't know what to say. Sorry, ignore the above post.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,742
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
1. Keep trying to train yourself.

2. Order a new fob? (No idea of its cost, and this assumes you must have an unused, safely kept spare; this also assumes that your wife is ok with carrying it around).

I don't have CA, so I do think of the extra benefit of simply having your wife use the 2nd fob, and that benefit is that the fob will be kept up to charge.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Inline Sixer's Avatar
Inline Sixer Inline Sixer is offline
smooth like butter
Location: Northeast Ohio
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,518
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAZ View Post
My question to the forum: Is there is a hidden or dealer-accessible setting which would (ideally) cause (automatically) locked doors to all unlock when the driver's door is opened? I would willingly pay to have that mode set.
The answer is no.

You can however spend an equal amount of time unlocking all four doors through the central button in the center dash.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:31 PM
FrankAZ's Avatar
FrankAZ FrankAZ is offline
Liverpudlian at heart
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 525
Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Aren't most, or all, of these options described in the manual? Use your stalk to access the OBC (or iDrive if you got that, I don't), then scroll to the one that has the "key symbol". From there you should be able to program preferences for both outside/fob, and inside/dash-button.

Ok, it looks like you can program for your wife (if your car is like mine), the following options:

- automatic locking after "some time if no door has been opened"
- automatically lock as soon as you drive off
- or both of the above (whichever happens first)

There is a 4th option, perfect for you, and it simply called "off".

So, program one of the first three on your wife's fob, and the last on yours. If she has to use your fob, then I don't know what to say.

Do you have a manual?
Thank you for researching and replying. Yes, I have the manual. What I am asking is not described in the manual or listed in my iDrive. I'm not even sure if it is at all possible (but I know there are more configurations available through the service tools than described in the user manual).

I want to use the lock after start to drive option BUT I also need an unlock all doors when the driver door is opened option and would use both together. I'm hoping that someone has insight into an undocumented button press/hold combination or can confirm the existence of a dealer service option which enables that.

I cannot use the separate programming for each key because we share the same key. My wife drives my car rarely so she does not carry her own BMW key but either picks up mine or has to use mine when I am too inebriated to drive.

Thanks,

Frank.
__________________
ED Vehicle: 328i Platinum Bronze / Beige / Light Burl | Sports (paddles) | Premium | Auto | Navigation | Fold-down seats | Alarm | Comfort Access | iPod integration.
ED Tour: 1st June - 13th July 2009. (Route map).
ED Progress: Delivery of M1100Z on 2nd June 2009; Drop off at Geneva 13th July; The journey home on 'Ryujin'; Redelivery 19th September.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:39 PM
tony(topaz,SMG) tony(topaz,SMG) is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 157
Mein Auto: '11 335i,'02 M3, '08 X5,
I'm pretty sure the dealer can't do that for you, but I believe you can have the car coded to unlock when ignition is turned off. You'll have to find someone who can code it or get the cable and program to do it yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:43 PM
SD Z4MR's Avatar
SD Z4MR SD Z4MR is offline
(formerly SD 335is)
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,306
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
There is an option that can be set by coding that will unlock all doors when your key is removed. To DIY requires a special cable that plugs into the ODBC II socket that is available on eBay and a special software program. You may also be able to find someone that does this for a fee in your area. Do a search for "BMW coding" and will find lots of information on the subject.
__________________
- Tom
-------
Mine: 2006 Z4 Roadster (E85) | Interlagos Blue Metallic | Black Extended Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Purchased 7/19/12
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:55 PM
FrankAZ's Avatar
FrankAZ FrankAZ is offline
Liverpudlian at heart
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 525
Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony(topaz,SMG) View Post
I'm pretty sure the dealer can't do that for you, but I believe you can have the car coded to unlock when ignition is turned off. You'll have to find someone who can code it or get the cable and program to do it yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
There is an option that can be set by coding that will unlock all doors when your key is removed. To DIY requires a special cable that plugs into the ODBC II socket that is available on eBay and a special software program. You may also be able to find someone that does this for a fee in your area. Do a search for "BMW coding" and will find lots of information on the subject.
Thank you. Unlocking when the engine is stopped would be just right. That way I can stumble from the car early in the morning or late at night and be able to grab my stuff from the back seat.

Frank.
__________________
ED Vehicle: 328i Platinum Bronze / Beige / Light Burl | Sports (paddles) | Premium | Auto | Navigation | Fold-down seats | Alarm | Comfort Access | iPod integration.
ED Tour: 1st June - 13th July 2009. (Route map).
ED Progress: Delivery of M1100Z on 2nd June 2009; Drop off at Geneva 13th July; The journey home on 'Ryujin'; Redelivery 19th September.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 PM
pmcu pmcu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 180
Mein Auto: ABM E92
You can get a remotekey+, it will automatically unlock all doors when you turn off the car and take out your key, so technically it's the same functionality as you specified (when driver door opens). On top of all that, it will also let you roll up your windows and close sunroof with the keyfob remotely. Best part is that it is plug and go with the alarm plug so no wires or warranty issue to mess with.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-06-2011, 10:53 PM
cgmiller63 cgmiller63 is offline
cgmiller63
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: 2008 328i
I would love for my car to unlock all doors when the engine is turned off. What is a RemoteKey+ and where can I get one?
__________________
CGMiller63
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-07-2011, 03:04 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,183
Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAZ View Post
My wife has begun to drive my car more often. She has a strong preference for doors which automatically lock once she starts to drive. That is a non-negotiable feature behavior which she requires me to configure.

I don't like that because when I drive my car (most of the time) I am unable to train myself to unlock all the doors before I step out of the car. I dislike rummaging for my key (I have comfort access) to unlock a rear door so that I can remove my stuff. Leaning back into the car to hit the unlock button is even less convenient.

My question to the forum: Is there is a hidden or dealer-accessible setting which would (ideally) cause (automatically) locked doors to all unlock when the driver's door is opened? I would willingly pay to have that mode set.

My wife and I share the same key and keep the second key in a safe place out of use. When she drives it is sometimes because I have been drinking, most times it is because she just wants to and uses the key we have ready. Even if the door behavior is a function of the key identity that would not fit the way we use my car.

I suppose I could use one of my programmable buttons to toggle the 'lock on driving' check-box to save my having to delve into iDrive configurations each time, but that would mean unprogramming the button from another purpose. In any case, since I forget to unlock the doors before I get out the chances of my using that button are practically nil.

Anyone?

Frank.

(If there is a BMW Produktarchitekt trawling for ideas I hereby relinquish all rights and claims on the invention. I would enjoy being in the beta trial).
The "hidden" feature unlocks doors when the car is turned off/key removed. It follows the door locking setting set manually by you at the iDrive; driver's door or all doors. The variable name is "ER_KEYOUT_AUTOVR" located in the CAS module, and can be accessed by NCSExpert coding.

Your dealer will not be able to help you in coding this. You need to get somebody that do this locally "on the side" or remotely. I do not think that this forum supports coding so you should search in other E90 forums for local information.

I did this coding in my 2012 M3.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-07-2011, 01:20 PM
yikes98 yikes98 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 111
Mein Auto: e36, e92, e70, e90
Technic is right, easy with NCS. Doors lock by speed. Then push on/off button and hold, eject key and unlocks all doors. I don't have comfort access.

Last edited by yikes98; 12-07-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-07-2011, 01:27 PM
SD Z4MR's Avatar
SD Z4MR SD Z4MR is offline
(formerly SD 335is)
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,306
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I did this coding in my 2012 M3.
Do you have any concern that coding will invalidate your warranty in any way? I've looked into coding and this is probably the only thing that has kept me from pursuing it any further.
__________________
- Tom
-------
Mine: 2006 Z4 Roadster (E85) | Interlagos Blue Metallic | Black Extended Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Purchased 7/19/12
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!


Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,183
Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
Do you have any concern that coding will invalidate your warranty in any way? I've looked into coding and this is probably the only thing that has kept me from pursuing it any further.
No warranty concerns as long as I do not change an ECU, transmission, suspension or general electronics parameters (called wert). I only change variables of features (activ or nicht_activ) that for some mysterious reasons BMW decided to not activate for the USA.

I have no interest in playing around with the OEM software, only in disabled but useful features.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-07-2011, 02:02 PM
pmcu pmcu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 180
Mein Auto: ABM E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmiller63 View Post
I would love for my car to unlock all doors when the engine is turned off. What is a RemoteKey+ and where can I get one?
Here's the link with demos and purchase numbers:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...window-control

The good thing about this vs coding is that it's extremely easy to install and cost the same as buying the coding equipment to do yourself. As long as you don't have the alarm already, the install less than 60 seconds as all you need to do is plug it in directly where the alarm ultrasonic module would go and close up the dome light. If you worry about warranty, just take another 60 sec to remove it before going in for service. Not to mention the added feature of remote window up and activating the clown nose to deter thieves. You don't need to install the buzzer if you don't need that functionality, I didn't so I skipped that step. I also have it set to fold the mirrors in upon locking, they unfold when the driver side door opens.

They also make a remoteTop which lets you open and close the convertible top of the E93s remotely with the key fob.

Last edited by pmcu; 12-07-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Verts4Ever's Avatar
Verts4Ever Verts4Ever is offline
Random Helpbot
Location: Phoenix West Valley
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 934
Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcu View Post
They also make a remoteTop which lets you open and close the convertible top of the E93s remotely with the key fob.
"SmartTop," which allows for quite a few other programmable options including door unlock on either ignition off or fob removal for non-CA E93s.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 PM
pointandgo's Avatar
pointandgo pointandgo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,864
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Unless I am missing something, I find it quite unbelievable that the OP or his wife can't reach across and utilize the VERY convenient LOCK ALL DOORS, or UNLOCK all doors button on the dash. Even if this didn't unlock the rear doors with one actuation (I'll have to check)...I DO understand the great inconvenience of having to reach for the fob.

Such a luxurious requirement is certainly limited to the finest cars as no minimum effort should be required to unlock the doors. I expect that their poodles eat steak.
__________________
F30 328i
E90 328i
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 PM
3ismagic#'s Avatar
3ismagic# 3ismagic# is offline
HerrDoktorProfessor
Location: Another State of Mind
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,265
Mein Auto: '11 335d
So there is an option for all of the doors to lock when you start driving. I like that feature. But seriously how hard would it have been to also include an auto unlock at engine shutoff option.
__________________

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Verts4Ever's Avatar
Verts4Ever Verts4Ever is offline
Random Helpbot
Location: Phoenix West Valley
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 934
Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
I DO understand the great inconvenience of having to reach for the fob.
I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic here.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,183
Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Unless I am missing something, I find it quite unbelievable that the OP or his wife can't reach across and utilize the VERY convenient LOCK ALL DOORS, or UNLOCK all doors button on the dash. Even if this didn't unlock the rear doors with one actuation (I'll have to check)...I DO understand the great inconvenience of having to reach for the fob.

Such a luxurious requirement is certainly limited to the finest cars as no minimum effort should be required to unlock the doors. I expect that their poodles eat steak.
You are missing the point of the OP wanting to do whatever the hell he wants to do with his car, not yours.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 AM
FrankAZ's Avatar
FrankAZ FrankAZ is offline
Liverpudlian at heart
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 525
Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sedan
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I am enjoying the research into coding. I already have a suitable OBDII - USB cable from a similar coding experience with my former car, an Audi A4. Back then I used VAG-COM software. Until these posts I hadn't thought of a similar rummaging around in the bit-fields on my BMW. Now the car is 2 years old I am a little more brave at poking around with it. Likely I'll carve out some time some weekend and tear out my iDrive HDD for cloning and do these experiments too. (I now have an identical HDD, per online resources, in my grubby hands and have begun to fret about the cost of BMW replacing the HDD when it inevitably suffers failure or degradation).

'Pointandgo' is of course right. We could push the door unlock button. In years past with our other less sophisticated cars we would have been joyous that our car had central locking and that the maker had thought to provide such a convenient feature as a button which unlocked everything in one go. Today I own a car which has all the internal mechanisms, and I now learn even the software, to provide an automatic unlock. All that is missing is the setting of an enable bit. My day job is all about such bits, and a few years ago I was even peripherally involved with the hardware design of the current iDrive system, so every fiber of my being is rebelling against my car denying me this feature.

Besides, getting on in years, I forget to push that button and not pushing the button causes me to grind my teeth and either dig underneath my wallet for my key or lean far into the car to press it after I get out. My silhouette isn't as streamlined as it once was so both those activities invoke muttering and/or grunting. In my personal and professional striving for complete predictive automation in everything I touch the necessity for me to push an actual button with an actual finger is an anathema. Automating this, and doing it myself for as little cost as I can, has become a challenge I cannot lay aside.

I'll post how I get on, but it may be a few months because I'll need a weekend when I am at home after NOT being away from home during the week. Family comes first.

Frank.
__________________
ED Vehicle: 328i Platinum Bronze / Beige / Light Burl | Sports (paddles) | Premium | Auto | Navigation | Fold-down seats | Alarm | Comfort Access | iPod integration.
ED Tour: 1st June - 13th July 2009. (Route map).
ED Progress: Delivery of M1100Z on 2nd June 2009; Drop off at Geneva 13th July; The journey home on 'Ryujin'; Redelivery 19th September.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,718
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You are missing the point of the OP wanting to do whatever the hell he wants to do with his car, not yours.
Apparently it's not his car but his wifes car
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Zeichen311's Avatar
Zeichen311 Zeichen311 is offline
Lost but making good time
Location: Here, there or in transit
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,559
Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAZ View Post
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I am enjoying the research into coding. I already have a suitable OBDII - USB cable from a similar coding experience with my former car, an Audi A4. Back then I used VAG-COM software. Until these posts I hadn't thought of a similar rummaging around in the bit-fields on my BMW. Now the car is 2 years old I am a little more brave at poking around with it. Likely I'll carve out some time some weekend and tear out my iDrive HDD for cloning and do these experiments too. (I now have an identical HDD, per online resources, in my grubby hands and have begun to fret about the cost of BMW replacing the HDD when it inevitably suffers failure or degradation).

'Pointandgo' is of course right. We could push the door unlock button. In years past with our other less sophisticated cars we would have been joyous that our car had central locking and that the maker had thought to provide such a convenient feature as a button which unlocked everything in one go. Today I own a car which has all the internal mechanisms, and I now learn even the software, to provide an automatic unlock. All that is missing is the setting of an enable bit. My day job is all about such bits, and a few years ago I was even peripherally involved with the hardware design of the current iDrive system, so every fiber of my being is rebelling against my car denying me this feature.

Besides, getting on in years, I forget to push that button and not pushing the button causes me to grind my teeth and either dig underneath my wallet for my key or lean far into the car to press it after I get out. My silhouette isn't as streamlined as it once was so both those activities invoke muttering and/or grunting. In my personal and professional striving for complete predictive automation in everything I touch the necessity for me to push an actual button with an actual finger is an anathema. Automating this, and doing it myself for as little cost as I can, has become a challenge I cannot lay aside.

I'll post how I get on, but it may be a few months because I'll need a weekend when I am at home after NOT being away from home during the week. Family comes first.

Frank.
Just had to chime in because for some reason, your explanation of why you feel the car should have this feature resonates. It's not a lack that bothers me at all but I completely get why it bugs you.

Now, in the interest of completeness, I must point out that every BMW has had full auto-unlocking for well over a decade, no coding or configuration required. All you have to do to activate it is hit the car really, really hard--for example, with a utility pole or a Buick. I concede this is probably somewhat inconvenient for everyday use.

__________________
2011 335xi Individual 6MT - Azurite Black Metallic / Oyster & Black / Anthracite Maple + all the good stuff

   N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-08-2011, 11:48 AM
SD Z4MR's Avatar
SD Z4MR SD Z4MR is offline
(formerly SD 335is)
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,306
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
No warranty concerns as long as I do not change an ECU, transmission, suspension or general electronics parameters (called wert). I only change variables of features (activ or nicht_activ) that for some mysterious reasons BMW decided to not activate for the USA.

I have no interest in playing around with the OEM software, only in disabled but useful features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAZ View Post
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I am enjoying the research into coding. I already have a suitable OBDII - USB cable from a similar coding experience with my former car, an Audi A4. Back then I used VAG-COM software. Until these posts I hadn't thought of a similar rummaging around in the bit-fields on my BMW. Now the car is 2 years old I am a little more brave at poking around with it. Likely I'll carve out some time some weekend and tear out my iDrive HDD for cloning and do these experiments too. (I now have an identical HDD, per online resources, in my grubby hands and have begun to fret about the cost of BMW replacing the HDD when it inevitably suffers failure or degradation).
. . .

I'll post how I get on, but it may be a few months because I'll need a weekend when I am at home after NOT being away from home during the week.
Ok, this is probably going to be a new project for next year!

Technic, can you share which cable you used and where you got it? There are several similar cables on eBay and there are endless discussions on various forums on which cable to use. I'm pretty sure I know which cable is the correct one but I'm looking for confirmation since your car is the closest model year to mine.

FrankAZ, I fully appreciate your reasoning on this. I've hacked any number of other electronic devices such as my phones, Kindle, Wii, DVRs, etc., but this is by far the highest dollar electronic device I've considered hacking. I look forward to your updates on this.

I'm interested in relatively simple stuff such as having the mirrors fold in when the ignition is turned off, digital speed display, eliminating the iDrive legal disclaimer, etc.
__________________
- Tom
-------
Mine: 2006 Z4 Roadster (E85) | Interlagos Blue Metallic | Black Extended Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Purchased 7/19/12
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms