Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M Sport xDrive
Bricked!!

So my car went in to have the ASS disabled (remember last setting) and in the process, they bricked the programming. SM called to let me know the BMW engineers are trying to figure it out but I won't get the car back.

Looking forward to a nice weekend with it... only had it for less than a week before it went in on Wednesday. I have an X3 loaner which is like driving a boat in comparison. I guess the good news is that BMW authorized $500 in credit towards accessories or performance gear for my trouble.

So be careful if you take it to get that feature shut off!

2013 335i /// M-Sport xDrive w/Black Dakota/Blue trim, Summer-19" Potenza S001's, Winter-18" Sottozero II's | Sport AT | Tech Pkg | Prem. Pkg | HK Audio | Cold Weather Pkg | RV Cam | Park Dist. | M-Perf Exhaust | Black Grills
Ads by Google
Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sedan
When I get my car I'm also planning on doing this. Do you think this is because your deal is 'small' that they haven't don't this or their software is not latest or their tech is inexperienced?
Just wondering because I thought I read that in some dealers they do t even know how to do it yet. Um wondering if my deal would know.
Yeah bricking is not cool and I'm sure they have to replace something they bricked for you.
Thanks for the warning. Please what you find/learn here. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeksoo View Post
When I get my car I'm also planning on doing this. Do you think this is because your deal is 'small' that they haven't don't this or their software is not latest or their tech is inexperienced?
Just wondering because I thought I read that in some dealers they do t even know how to do it yet. Um wondering if my deal would know.
Yeah bricking is not cool and I'm sure they have to replace something they bricked for you.
Thanks for the warning. Please what you find/learn here. Good luck!

It's a big dealership. Both Mercedes and BMW. But the car was so new, the software they had was older than what was already in the car. So, they had to obtain the new software from BMW, which they apparently did, but in the process of changing the actual setting, one of the modules got corrupted. BMW is "in" the car trying to sort out what happened and get it back to normal.

I just find it bizarre it's such a fiasco to change a simple setting. It's also ridiculous that the dealers have to go through so much to get software the BMW should be providing when they program the cars with whatever version at the factory. Yes, this was the first time the dealer did this ASS setting... the notice form BMW allowing dealers to do it one time for free just came out so they are expecting more of these to come soon because people hate that stupid feature almost unanimously.

So we'll see what happens. SM called me 10:30a this morning and said they were still working on it. it's now almost 3p now and I have not heard back so it looks like I'm stuck with the X3 over the weekend... if not longer!

2013 335i /// M-Sport xDrive w/Black Dakota/Blue trim, Summer-19" Potenza S001's, Winter-18" Sottozero II's | Sport AT | Tech Pkg | Prem. Pkg | HK Audio | Cold Weather Pkg | RV Cam | Park Dist. | M-Perf Exhaust | Black Grills

Last edited by Rick955; 11-09-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
Note to Self: don't take the car to the dealer to have the ASS function permanently turned off.
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick955 View Post
It's a big dealership. Both Mercedes and BMW. But the car was so new, the software they had was older than what was already in the car. So, they had to obtain the new software from BMW, which they apparently did, but in the process of changing the actual setting, one of the modules got corrupted. BMW is "in" the car trying to sort out what happened and get it back to normal.

I just find it bizarre it's such a fiasco to change a simple setting. It's also ridiculous that the dealers have to go through so much to get software the BMW should be providing when they program the cars with whatever version at the factory. Yes, this was the first time the dealer did this ASS setting... the notice form BMW allowing dealers to do it one time for free just came out so they are expecting more of these to come soon because people hate that stupid feature almost unanimously.

So we'll see what happens. SM called me 10:30a this morning and said they were still working on it. it's now almost 3p now and I have not heard back so it looks like I'm stuck with the X3 over the weekend... if not longer!
Given this one would think computers are a recent invention and we're still in the learning phase of how to use / upgrade them.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
I must be the only BWM owner who actually likes the ASS feature.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Vroom Vroom

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
No honestly when I first used it on a rental this summer I loved it. I use it a lot here in Europe. I cannot see what people hate. You stop u start, is everyone that pissy for the second it might slow them down?
Old 11-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybiker View Post
No honestly when I first used it on a rental this summer I loved it. I use it a lot here in Europe. I cannot see what people hate. You stop u start, is everyone that pissy for the second it might slow them down?
I just hate the feel of the car shutting down... I mean if I am in bumper to bumper traffic, or, if I turn on EcoPro mode, fine.. I'm sure I can find times where it would be beneficial, but this is not some Buick.. Let ME decide if I want such a feature to be on or not on, don't force it upon me and make me manually turn it off each and every time. It's a dumb feature and I want it off.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with being pissy, it's just annoying. Everytime it happens, I think the car is stalled. Maybe in real stop and go traffic it might make sense and actually save gas, but for the driving I do, where I'm stopped here and there, I just don't see the benefit. Actually, the first time I was aware of it, I was being driven home by the dealer in a random car, not a BMW, and thought, wow, this is annoying.

But then again, define pissy.
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 11-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Thats the thing though, it doesn't slow you down. Not even a second. In a MT car by the time you have engaged the clutch and put the car in gear its way ahead of you and started up already.

In bumper to bumper traffic I never put the car in neutral. This isn't something new to this car but just how I always drive a MT in bumper to bumper traffic. So its not annoying there.

Nothing about the ASS is annoying from my point of view, its actually kind of refreshing to sit in a completely still car at a traffic light for a long period of time.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
I am an ASS man myself too
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
I dont mind it, i really like eco pro tho
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Lasser View Post
It has nothing to do with being pissy, it's just annoying. Everytime it happens, I think the car is stalled.
Why would you think the car stall? Have your BMW stall before?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Nope. I like it too, as do most of the people who drive in the car with me. Everyone realizes that ASS puts the F30 into a class all by itself: a car that has personalities to match your mood. Want a comfortable car with a bitchin' stereo to commute in that gets 28MPG? Turn ASS on. Want a car that blows the doors off almost anything next to you at a stop light? Turn ASS off.

If everything I owned could be as flexible as my 335i.
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick955 View Post
So my car went in to have the ASS disabled (remember last setting) and in the process, they bricked the programming. SM called to let me know the BMW engineers are trying to figure it out but I won't get the car back.

Looking forward to a nice weekend with it... only had it for less than a week before it went in on Wednesday. I have an X3 loaner which is like driving a boat in comparison. I guess the good news is that BMW authorized $500 in credit towards accessories or performance gear for my trouble.

So be careful if you take it to get that feature shut off!
A dealer who bricks a car is dangerous -- and I'd never let them touch the car again. It means that, despite their claims they'd never done this to an F30, they haven't a clue about how to update any BMW. It also means they probably couldn't even change the brake pads.

When you get your car back, find another dealer. Fast.
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
This doesn't have anything to do with reprogramming the ASS, but BMW had to reprogram our '11 33is and it took them a week to do this.

Within three weeks of our redelivery we starting getting the SES light and Cruise Control wasn't working at freeway speeds. We took the car in for service and their diagnostics determined that Cruise Control was not engaging in 5th or 6th gear or if it was shifted into 5th or 6th gear while it was engaged it would disengage. Problem was, they couldn't figure out why it was happening. They apparently worked with engineers in Munich. They had the car for a week. They asked us "has anyone reprogrammed the car?". Umm, no.

The solution was to reprogram the entire car which solved the problem. The SES light was still coming on for them though and that's when they found that our exhaust flapper valve solenoid was also faulty, so they replaced that. They still got the SES light and then discovered that the throttle body was faulty so that got replaced. Not sure what caused any of that because the car performed flawlessly in Europe.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sedan
Quote:
It has nothing to do with being pissy, it's just annoying. Everytime it happens, I think the car is stalled. Maybe in real stop and go traffic it might make sense and actually save gas, but for the driving I do, where I'm stopped here and there, I just don't see the benefit. Actually, the first time I was aware of it, I was being driven home by the dealer in a random car, not a BMW, and thought, wow, this is annoying.

But then again, define pissy.
I don't think hate the feature. It's just the way it doesn't 'remember' my last setting.
I don't think people are actually getting this disabled, they just get is changed where it 'remember last' so once u tired it off its off even if u turn the car off.
I can imagine it being annoying to turn it pff every time u want it to be off. Why can't u kust turn it on when u need it and off when not. I think this is what is doing it for the people, including myself probably.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Thats the thing though, it doesn't slow you down. Not even a second. In a MT car by the time you have engaged the clutch and put the car in gear its way ahead of you and started up already.

In bumper to bumper traffic I never put the car in neutral. This isn't something new to this car but just how I always drive a MT in bumper to bumper traffic. So its not annoying there.

Nothing about the ASS is annoying from my point of view, its actually kind of refreshing to sit in a completely still car at a traffic light for a long period of time.
It works great on the manual, you have the let the clutch out in neutral for it to kick in and then when you press the clutch back in it starts up. In the auto, it turns off when you come to a complete stop with your foot on the brake and the car doesn't restart until your foot comes off the brake, which can lead to hesitation if you're trying to get on the gas right away. 6MT, works great, 8AT, not so hot.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
It works great on the manual, you have the let the clutch out in neutral for it to kick in and then when you press the clutch back in it starts up. In the auto, it turns off when you come to a complete stop with your foot on the brake and the car doesn't restart until your foot comes off the brake, which can lead to hesitation if you're trying to get on the gas right away. 6MT, works great, 8AT, not so hot.
hmm...I can see why some people may not like it on AT then...agreed, it does work great on MT.

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-10-2012, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Note to Self: don't take the car to the dealer to have the ASS function permanently turned off.
YEP just press a button, simples unless of course your to **** lazy.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
For me the routine has become second nature. Kill the ASS before starting the car, put the car in sport mode. Drive away. have we reached the point in our life that is that much trouble to push two buttons? Seriously?

I much rather do this routine than have some guy screw with my car. The car is perfect, no issues so far and about to hit 1900 miles. Why screw with a good thing.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
This is exactly my problem with this feature. If there was a delay of a couple of seconds once you come to a full stop then I'd be fine with it. As it is right now, the ASS turns off the engine at stop signs and in stop and go traffic on the freeway. I agree with the concept of the feature and its fine at stoplights or other short stops.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
For me the routine has become second nature. Kill the ASS before starting the car, put the car in sport mode. Drive away. have we reached the point in our life that is that much trouble to push two buttons? Seriously?
I see no downside to having the car remember the last setting for this. Would you feel the same way if the audio system required you to reset all of its settings? What about door locking preferences? Lighting preferences? Triple turn preference? So on and so forth?

Last edited by sunny5280; 11-10-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
Quote:

I much rather do this routine than have some guy screw with my car. The car is perfect, no issues so far and about to hit 1900 miles. Why screw with a good thing.
Irrelevant to me, but a very good point. I wouldn't have a problem to push two buttons

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App
Old 11-10-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Totally agree. It's just a matter of a new routine. The first time I come to a stop sign I remember to turn it off. And to remember that just because I have the car in park, the keys in my pocket and the doors locked, doesn't mean the car is actually turned off. I learned that one today.
1994 - Present Jeeps