Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-23-2015, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive
I can't believe BMW is part of this

Has anyone else seen or heard about this craziness?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-for...160000229.html

There is also an online petition against this here

https://act.eff.org/action/fight-for...epair-your-car
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Heard about it yesterday. Can't say I'm surprised that they are part of it-- the owners manuals neglect to provide even basic maintenance information anymore. Carmakers are increasingly becoming more like consumer electroncis makers where if you "crack the seal" its not warrantied.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
What GM, and even tractor companies like John Deere, argues is that you, as an owner, donít actually own your car. Rather, youíre sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology.
REALLY????? Then I guess they'll be refunding the money I paid....... RIIIIIIGHT.....

So an owner isn't really an owner????? I guess the money I paid isn't really money, either. Had I known that I would have raided a "RISK" game......

2012 535i
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
Old 04-23-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
REALLY????? Then I guess they'll be refunding the money I paid....... RIIIIIIGHT.....

So an owner isn't really an owner????? I guess the money I paid isn't really money, either. Had I known that I would have raided a "RISK" game......
I know it is absurd!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:03 PM
BMW Junkie

Mein Auto: 96 328I 99 328I
If this passes and I own a car that the MFG went out of business what I am I to do? Or do I really own the car then?
Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 550i xDrive
How the hell would they ever enforce such a law? Car repair police...Drop that wrench or I'll shoot! Total silliness....Sounds like a Monty Python sketch.

The same links have made their way to the Corvette forums. Perhaps someone's belated April Fools Joke?

People will always fix their own cars....I have not paid repair bill for a car in probably 20 years that doesn't mean I haven't bought parts or had some sub-contract work done, but not as far as someone turning a wrench on my iron. If it out of warranty it's not going to happen.

Mike
2001 Infiniti QX4 (Trusty Rusty)

http://www.acdnow.com/bmw/sig.jpg

Last edited by MikeEby; 04-23-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
It's not really a surprise. The DMCA (the law the article mentions) that they want to modify to cover cars is an abomination passed when the MAFIAA (also known as MPAA and RIAA) greased Washington politicians to screw the citizens. It says things like for example that if you bought a CD and then ripped a song from it to listen on your personal computer - without doing anything else or giving it to anybody - you in effect stole that song and are a criminal.

So why not the car companies jump on that bandwaggon if they can?
Old 04-23-2015, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post

I think technically what it means is that while you own the car, part of the car includes certain technology that you have the right to use, and that right transfers to any owner, but that you cannot modify.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
I think technically what it means is that while you own the car, part of the car includes certain technology that you have the right to use, and that right transfers to any owner, but that you cannot modify.
That's like saying I don't really own my stereo, or DVD player (or DVD's for that matter) or TV, or any electronic device for that matter.

Typical gummint overreach!!!!

2012 535i
Old 04-23-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby View Post

The same links have made their way to the Corvette forums. Perhaps someone's belated April Fools Joke?

Mike
It sounds like an April Fools joke but it's not.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:26 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Third thread.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535d
Didn't Apple losing the jailbreak suit kinda end this argument as well? My phone, my right to do what I please with it, including jailbreak... I think it's just a novel idea which will be shot down very quickly. They'll have so many suits they won't know what to do with if this passes.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
I was talking to a BMW master mechanic a couple of weeks ago who told me that the new M3 and M4 actually contact BMW if they detect an ECU mod.
E.T. Phone home

I can understand this from a warranty perspective. Automakers warranty a car with a known software setup that has been thoroughly tested. Owner modification of the software can cause unintended consequences which can lead to added warranty expense as well as added liability should the modification cause a safety related malfunction, unless the automaker has a way of proving the software was modified, or overridden with an addon device. I don't agree with making it illegal, but certainly the manufacturer should be able to deny warranty or be released from liability.

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 04-23-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
I was talking to a BMW master mechanic a couple of weeks ago who told me that the new M3 and M4 actually contact BMW if they detect an ECU mod.
E.T. Phone home
My GT-R did this - without the telematics/phone home part.

There was a separate black box for performance-related reasons (especially things which could accelerate wear and cause warranty claims notably around the transmission).

Even though it technically logged and reported on ECU mods, no one ever had an issue.

If you tear apart the transmission or there are metal shavings/shards found in an M3/M4 warranty investigation, the data will definitely come into play.

But otherwise, it's much to-do about nothing.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007 View Post
Didn't Apple losing the jailbreak suit kinda end this argument as well? My phone, my right to do what I please with it, including jailbreak... I think it's just a novel idea which will be shot down very quickly. They'll have so many suits they won't know what to do with if this passes.
And they'll never regulate/tax the internet.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
E.T. Phone home

I can understand this from a warranty perspective. Automakers warranty a car with a known software setup that has been thoroughly tested. Owner modification of the software can cause unintended consequences which can lead to added warranty expense as well as added liability should the modification cause a safety related malfunction, unless the automaker has a way of proving the software was modified, or overridden with an add-on device. I don't agree with making it illegal, but certainly the manufacturer should be able to deny warranty or be released from liability.
That's why, IMHO, Dinan is probably the best route.

2012 535i
Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 + Volvo S80
Ridiculously overblown reaction in the OP article. Starts out talking about getting under the car with a wrench being made illegal, but this is really only limited to changing the embedded software as proposed in the enforcement of DMCA. Not such a big deal in my opinion.